• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yes, that's what I said--but I still don't buy it, because as I said, that one mean one of Moore, Dana, or Rada would no longer be in the top 10. Do you really think the Angels are going to get 8 prospects that are better than one of those three?

Keep in mind, different teams evaluate players differently. Full disclosure, we’ve talked about Rada before. They don’t feel he’s going to be impactful.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I believe I didn’t communicate this correctly. If they indeed except the multiple offers, they have on the table or several of their players, eight of their top 10 prospects will have been acquired at this deadline. We are not talking about one deal.

So included in those 8 would be the 2 guys they already got in the Esteves trade?

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

You communicated it just fine. People can't read. Ha ha. 

My issue with it is that I just don't think the Angels are going to collectively acquire 8 guys who are better than one of Rada, Dana, and Moore. That would pretty much mean they're getting 8 top 100-125 guys.

Ya, Ill take the L on that one.

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yes, that's what I said--but I still don't buy it, because as I said, that one mean one of Moore, Dana, or Rada would no longer be in the top 10. Do you really think the Angels are going to get 8 prospects that are better than one of those three?

I could absolutely see Rada being pushed all the way down to #11, depending on how someone sees him. He’s only in our Top 3 because our farm is crap. I love Nelson Rada and am more optimistic on him than most and pleased with his production, but he’s probably more of a ~#15 prospect on a healthy farm.

18 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Speaking with a front office friend of mine: “The Angels have offers right now, one of which is ours, that would give them eight of their top ten prospects in their system. They just have to not screw this one up.”

That last sentence...face palm.  Double face palm, even.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I’m also told their most valuable trade chip is Reid Detmers. I have no idea why the Angels would even entertain trading him.

Try if the potential multiple player return is a better overall fit for the organization’s plan than Detmers alone?

11 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I’m also told their most valuable trade chip is Reid Detmers. I have no idea why the Angels would even entertain trading him.

I would be interested in knowing the offer.  Depending on the offer, I wouldn't hesitate trading Detmers. 

31 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Speaking with a front office friend of mine: “The Angels have offers right now, one of which is ours, that would give them eight of their top ten prospects in their system. They just have to not screw this one up.”

That's both really exciting and (the last sentence) depressing, because I could see the Angels screwing it up.

Perry probably has to google every prospect because their scouting is so shit.

14 minutes ago, Second Base said:

You answered that in your own post…

I’m a big believer in Detmers, but this sellers market is insane. His upside and club control years are still enough that you probably land a good young everyday MLBer and a top 10 prospect from a club, maybe two, and if the Angels are deep-selling they could absolutely remake the farm and probably would have enough new SP prospects that the rotation would be fine. 

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

You answered that in your own post…

I’m a big believer in Detmers, but this sellers market is insane. His upside and club control years are still enough that you probably land a good young everyday MLBer and a top 10 prospect from a club, maybe two, and if the Angels are deep-selling they could absolutely remake the farm and probably would have enough new SP prospects that the rotation would be fine. 

Initially I was very much against trading a youngin' like Detmers. But after reading your post I gotta admit I'm rather intrigued in a package that would include a young starting player and some other considerations.

Just hope Perry and the gang don't screw this up 

~ArkyAngelsFan~

32 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Keep in mind, different teams evaluate players differently. Full disclosure, we’ve talked about Rada before. They don’t feel he’s going to be impactful.

I think, at this point, Fangraphs' 50 FV is accurate for Rada - no more, but no less. Hard to ignore being 18 in AA, despite tepid performance. No power (yet), but his average is moving up and he's taking walks. His well-rounded skill set implies a high floor - at the least, I think he's the outfield version of Maicer Izturis, but I'm not selling on the hope that he develops into an impact player.

Edited by Angelsjunky

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think, at this point, Fangraphs' 50 FV is accurate for Rada - no more, but no less. Hard to ignore being 18 in AA, despite tepid performance. No power (yet), but his average is moving up and he's taking walks. His well-rounded skill set implies a high floor - at the least, I think he's the outfield version of Maicer Izturis, but I'm not selling on the hope that he develops into an impact player.

I disagree with my friend, and agree with you. They don’t feel he’ll impact the ball enough. I don’t think EV’s are necessary when you have his overall approach. Similar to Xavier Edwards right now.

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I disagree with my friend, and agree with you. They don’t feel he’ll impact the ball enough. I don’t think EV’s are necessary when you have his overall approach. Similar to Xavier Edwards right now.

I wonder if it is the (relatively) recent emphasis on power to such a huge extent that it seems over-emphasis. I mean, the median HR for qualifiers is around 20 a year...I grew up when "average power" was 12-15 HR a year, not 20. But there are different ways to generate runs. I think Rada is the type of player who could end up being a .290+/.370+ OBP/.420 SLG guy with steals 30 bases a year and does a lot of little things well. I'll happily take a dozen of those guys and make a lineup.

Edited by Angelsjunky

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I wonder if it is the (relatively) recent emphasis on power to such a huge extent that it seems over-emphasis. I mean, the median HR for qualifiers is around 20 a year...I grew up when "average power" was 12-15 HR a year, not 20. But there are different ways to generate runs. I think Rada is the type of player who could end up being a .290+/.370+ OBP/.420 SLG guy with steals 30 bases a year and does a lot of little things well. I'll happily take a dozen of those guys and make a lineup.

It’s strange, I’m actually becoming more old school in my own preferences. Pitchers need to stop throwing so damn hard and start locating. Hitters need to stop worrying about how far the ball goes and focus more on where the ball goes. And with Rada’s defensive abilities, I think he’ll be just fine. He might only hit .250, but if he’s able to get on base 35% of the time, he’d be golden. We’ll see.

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I posted it elsewhere but he reminds me a bit of Steven Kwan. That’s obviously probably more of a best-case scenario. Ben Revere maybe more of a realistic ‘good’ outcome. 

But when Steven Kwan was 18 he wasn’t in AA, he was at Oregon State on the bench with an OPS in the .500s. 

I think worst-case scenario Rada will be a good 4th OF/PH/PR type. Orlando Palmeiro…just hope he also has Palmeiro’s knack for clutch hits. Rada already has better defense and speed.

And even if that’s not an exciting outcome, it’s something we sorely need. The Angels will only succeed when they’re able to repeatedly develop not just everyday players, but league average role-players and UT IFs and 4th OFs and #6 SPs.

Edited by totdprods

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It’s strange, I’m actually becoming more old school in my own preferences. Pitchers need to stop throwing so damn hard and start locating. Hitters need to stop worrying about how far the ball goes and focus more on where the ball goes. And with Rada’s defensive abilities, I think he’ll be just fine. He might only hit .250, but if he’s able to get on base 35% of the time, he’d be golden. We’ll see.

Contact over swing & miss.