• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (5/25/24): Guardians @ Angels: Soriano on the mound, Neto is back

Tough luck on that missed strike three check swing on Ramirez. But this team's ability to hit with runners in scoring position is terrible.

With one out and a man on third, both Ward and Calhoun struck out. That can't happen.

Calhoun had a nice little run, but he's cooled down.

It might be time to bring Stefanic back up and send Paris down.

Really bad check swing decision. Half the time it looks like the third/first base ump is just confirming what the plate ump calls or else really is guessing  himself more than ninety feet away. Sometimes it's very close and hard to tell, but tonight it really was obvious that the bat extended over most of the plate. It used to be the 'broken wrist' definition but that was thrown away. Old or new definition it was a swing. And also factor in deferring to a star hitter by giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

Regardless, more Angels bad base running and weak at bats were the biggest problems. Soriano wasn't at his best but pitched ok. 

But they homered again!  Leading all of baseball. 

And lost again. 

Can't move runners, bunt, get timely base hits or not make mistakes on the base paths. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Really bad check swing decision.

Best to not throw a wild pitch with a runner on third.

Edited by Jay

10 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

How many 1 run ballgames have we lost?

And how many opportunities to tie and or take the lead have we bsquandered in those 1 run ballgame losses?

Seems like a lot.

This is why when people say it’s relief pitching I say sure, but more so it’s defense (which I didn’t watch the game so I don’t know) and situational hitting. I paid attention enough last night to know with decent situational hitting we win that game. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

This is why when people say it’s relief pitching I say sure, but more so it’s defense (which I didn’t watch the game so I don’t know) and situational hitting. I paid attention enough last night to know with decent situational hitting we win that game. 

Our defense was actually quite good last night, if you overlook that wild pitch that bounced halfway to the pitchers mound, where the batter definitely swung...but you can never assume anything from the umps with those check swing calls.

Rengifo made some great plays at 3rd.

Of course he practically leveled off his contributions by getting thrown out by a mile at 2nd with nobody out, which really put a damper on what initially was a great piece of hitting. 

We also couldn't steal a base to save our lives, and it's becoming way too common.

We're just missing those productive outs/clutch hits in key moments that would give us that push over these 1 run losses. The K's with RISP are just awful, contact HAS to be made in those situations.

14 games decided by 1 run so far.  Won 5 and lost 9.

2 - 1 W vs BOS

4 - 5 L @ BOS

6 - 7 L @ TB

5 - 4 W @ TB

1 - 2 L @ TB

5 - 6 L vs BAL

6 - 5 W vs PHI

1 - 2 L vs PHI

5 - 4 W @ PIT

1 - 2 L vs KC

1  - 2 L @ TEX

5 - 6 L @ HOU

2 - 1 W @ HOU

3  - 4 L vs CLE

47 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

14 games decided by 1 run so far.  Won 5 and lost 9.

2 - 1 W vs BOS

4 - 5 L @ BOS

6 - 7 L @ TB

5 - 4 W @ TB

1 - 2 L @ TB

5 - 6 L vs BAL

6 - 5 W vs PHI

1 - 2 L vs PHI

5 - 4 W @ PIT

1 - 2 L vs KC

1  - 2 L @ TEX

5 - 6 L @ HOU

2 - 1 W @ HOU

3  - 4 L vs CLE

That means they're 15-23 in non-one-run games, which isn't all that much better.  One is a 58-104 pace over a full season, the other is a 64-98 pace. 

This game is long over. Time to ... turn the page, to today's GameDay thread. There will probably be plenty of suckage to moan over on that thread.