• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Luis Guillorme from the Braves for PTBNL/cash - place Rendon on 60-day IL

1 hour ago, AngelFanInTheATL said:

From the Gwinnett Stripers' (Braves AAA affiliate) game recap today: 

Infielder David Fletcher, pitching for the second time in his professional career in the eighth, struck out the side (first strikeouts of his career).

So the Angels were misusing Fletcher all along.

On 5/15/2024 at 2:09 PM, AngelFanInTheATL said:

From the Gwinnett Stripers' (Braves AAA affiliate) game recap today: 

Infielder David Fletcher, pitching for the second time in his professional career in the eighth, struck out the side (first strikeouts of his career).

he was even throwing knuckleballs in his second pitching appearance. 

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Luis G has been pretty good as an Angel.  He’s hitting .290 with a .736 OPS and plays pretty great defense. 

He's the perfect backup player on any team. Though he shouldn't be starting most games. The guy has literally zero power. 

28 minutes ago, Chuck said:

He's the perfect backup player on any team. Though he shouldn't be starting most games. The guy has literally zero power. 

I am pretty burnt out on the whole power thing, both Moniak and Adell have power. Not every player in the lineup needs to hit for power and most who try just strike out or make warning track outs.

FFS appreciate the guy for getting on base and not being a lineup black hole. He has the third highest OBP on the entire team at .359 just a tick below Rengifo and Pillar. I'd take 5 more Guillormes and win the fucking division doinking the league to death. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Luis G has been pretty good as an Angel.  He’s hitting .290 with a .736 OPS and plays pretty great defense. 

Never understood playing Paris over Guillorme. Paris wasn’t/isn’t ready, if he ever will be. I get not being hesitant to play young guys this year but not if they’re overmatched. Guillorme isn’t great but he is a functional player. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I am pretty burnt out on the whole power thing, both Moniak and Adell have power. Not every player in the lineup needs to hit for power and most who try just strike out or make warning track outs.

FFS appreciate the guy for getting on base and not being a lineup black hole. He has the third highest OBP on the entire team at .359 just a tick below Rengifo and Pillar. I'd take 5 more Guillormes and win the fucking division doinking the league to death. 

And only Ks 18% of the time, plus they can use his lefty bat in the lineup.

I’d start him at least regularly against RHP.

Controlled through 2025.

Edited by Angel Oracle

17 hours ago, Blarg said:

I said he’s the perfect backup on a team. Every team needs a guy like Guillorme..

What more do you want? He’s not a starter. 

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

I'm not angry, just fed up with the Chicks dig the long ball crowd. 

Well unfortunately the game has changed, and the best teams are generally the ones who hit the most homeruns. The Orioles and Yankees are 1 and 2 in the AL east, and first and second in baseball in homeruns. Dodgers are 3rd in homeruns. Phillies are 5th. Been that way for awhile. 

Defense and 'small ball' still win close games when one run is needed. Along with better than average pitching, you can still have a winning team without massive home run numbers. Cleveland for instance. 

Different times 

Power is prioritized currently and sought for in the talent pool. And  refined by coaching. In the 70s speed was prioritized, sought after and refined. In the 60s, it was pitching. Home Run power really became the dominant ideal around the steroid years and has pretty much remained a popular focus on team construction and type of play. But currently it seems even more so. 

But obviously it doesn't make winners by itself. The Angels have been pretty good at hitting the long ball in recent years and look at the results. 

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Well unfortunately the game has changed, and the best teams are generally the ones who hit the most homeruns. The Orioles and Yankees are 1 and 2 in the AL east, and first and second in baseball in homeruns. Dodgers are 3rd in homeruns. Phillies are 5th. Been that way for awhile. 

Yep. The days of old of having defensive first starters that lack any real offense, power and even speed are long gone. 

I mean if Guillorme had some wheels and stole bases over having any thumb in his bat, his defense and contact/on-base skills would make him a candidate for a starter. 

You have guys who win you games offensively and you have guys that win you games defensively.  Luis G wins or at the very least preserve you games defensively and doesn’t hurt you offensively as he’s better than league average 108 OPS+.  I wish he had more speed, but he doesn’t hurt you there either.