• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

HR Record

As I said on Twitter, if you count Maris' cheap 315 foot HR's to RF in Old Yankee Stadium against predominantly white competition with a few African American and Latin Americans mixed in, then you have to count Bonds' chemically enhanced 450 foot shots against considerably better competition.    

Like it or not, Barry Bonds is the single season HR record holder.  

Manny Machado is also on pace to break a long standing MLB season record for doubles (currently 67 by Earl Webb in 1931).

And all the while just arriving at the legal age 2 days ago to purchase alcohol.

Well that should slow him down

As I said on Twitter, if you count Maris' cheap 315 foot HR's to RF in Old Yankee Stadium against predominantly white competition with a few African American and Latin Americans mixed in, then you have to count Bonds' chemically enhanced 450 foot shots against considerably better competition.    

Like it or not, Barry Bonds is the single season HR record holder.  

This is so wrong and you must look like an idiot on twitter pulling the race card from 1961.

Barry Bonds is the single season cheating bastard followed by Mark McGwire then Sammy Sosa. So you have three different races all cheating to beat a skinny white guy from 1961 that was getting death threats from his own fans for challenging Ruth's record.

This is so wrong and you must look like an idiot on twitter pulling the race card from 1961.

Barry Bonds is the single season cheating bastard followed by Mark McGwire then Sammy Sosa. So you have three different races all cheating to beat a skinny white guy from 1961 that was getting death threats from his own fans for challenging Ruth's record.

I'm more with 61 than 73. That said, scotty makes a good point (about competition). People seem to gloss over the fact bonds and company got caught....many more were doing it bit didn't...and they still couldn't keep up.

And sure, we can throw out the rave card. But what about the pitchers who were geared up? I imagine the stamina provided through a needle probably added some bite in the second half of the season, not to mention the velocity over the entire 6 months.

I hate bonds. But he wasn't some anomoly. The whole league was juicing. It sucks for the historic players, its not fair. But again, its an absolute fact that the modern era is far more competitive, a big part of it being the integration of races.

I'm more with 61 than 73. That said, scotty makes a good point (about competition). People seem to gloss over the fact bonds and company got caught....many more were doing it bit didn't...and they still couldn't keep up.

And sure, we can throw out the rave card. But what about the pitchers who were geared up? I imagine the stamina provided through a needle probably added some bite in the second half of the season, not to mention the velocity over the entire 6 months.

I hate bonds. But he wasn't some anomoly. The whole league was juicing. It sucks for the historic players, its not fair. But again, its an absolute fact that the modern era is far more competitive, a big part of it being the integration of races.

Horsecrap again about competition level. The race barrier went down over a decade before and you had Hank Aaron playing in 1954 who would eventually beat Ruth's record competing the majority of his career through the dead ball era. Some of the best pitchers all time were spawned in the mid 50's through 60's and they were from all walks of life.