• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Halos need to be buyers at the deadline for SP but who?

In general the Luxury tax is based on the average value of the contracts, not the dollar amounts paid year by year. 

Pujols and Hamilton are each getting paid $16M this year, but they count as $25M/year each for luxury tax accounting as that's the average cost of their contracts. Blanton, Weaver, Wilson and many others are all being paid less this year than the average annual value of their contracts. 

This is also why Trout hasn't been locked into a Longoria-type deal yet. Let's say they gave him $15M a year average for a long time. Even if the contract was written to only pay him league minimum this year, and $25M sometime on the back end of the contract, it would still count as $15M against the luxury tax.

I'm bored so I think I'll put that into my spreadsheet.  Will be interesting to see where we stand.

Well, if the Halos win two in Chicago and then take the Seattle series 2-1, it puts us a game over .500 at the break, about 8 games back of Oakland.

Again, that 8 game spread is represented by the A's 12-0 record vs. Houston as against our 3-9 record or whatever it is, against Houston.

If we're right at or over .500 at the All Star break, we should be buyers.......but I agree with many of the posters here -- our deadline deals of years' past have caught up with us and we simply can't afford to be buyers this year unless Arte wants to pony up straight cash so that we don't have to give up any prospects.  We really need to re-build the farm system.

Any rotation help won't come cheap and it would be for a two month rental........I say, stay put or bring up a AA guy and plug him into the rotation -- perhaps a guy like that pitch every sixth day or something and try to get Weaver some extra starts.

With the way the pen has pitched (lately) you might be able to get a few six inning starts four days apart from Weaver and turn it over to the pen.

We need rotation help -- but we simply can't afford another expensive rental that further depletes the farm system.

Well, if the Halos win two in Chicago and then take the Seattle series 2-1, it puts us a game over .500 at the break, about 8 games back of Oakland.

Again, that 8 game spread is represented by the A's 12-0 record vs. Houston as against our 3-9 record or whatever it is, against Houston.

If we're right at or over .500 at the All Star break, we should be buyers.......but I agree with many of the posters here -- our deadline deals of years' past have caught up with us and we simply can't afford to be buyers this year unless Arte wants to pony up straight cash so that we don't have to give up any prospects.  We really need to re-build the farm system.

Any rotation help won't come cheap and it would be for a two month rental........I say, stay put or bring up a AA guy and plug him into the rotation -- perhaps a guy like that pitch every sixth day or something and try to get Weaver some extra starts.

With the way the pen has pitched (lately) you might be able to get a few six inning starts four days apart from Weaver and turn it over to the pen.

We need rotation help -- but we simply can't afford another expensive rental that further depletes the farm system.

I agree we don't need another expensive rental.  But why does it need to be a rental?  The Angels don't need to be buyers, they might be able to sell and still maintain momentum in climbing the standings.

Selling Bourjos for example isn't going to end our season.  They have other options to replace Schuk, like Calhoun.  The depth is there in the outfield to be able to yield some need even if it is a high end prospect or two that needs more seasoning.  Then Trout would have center field, and it could be argued that is where he needs to be.

Dipoto showed an ability before to zero in on strong prospects to get the best in trade.  Maybe it's time for him to do that, vice chasing the big ticket guys who have thus far made his life harder.

Garza was durable from 2008-2011 (only a handful of missed starts in that time).

But he's only pitched in 27 games over the past year and a half (missing half of 2012, missing almost the first 2 months in 2013).    

That is always a concern.

He can be vulnerable to the HR ball (except for the one season allowing just 14), although the ERA has never been bad in any year.   He also can be vulnerable to bouts of wildness.

That could be attributed to where he pitches now (Wrigley). Not sure how the Trop plays as far as homers.

I agree we don't need another expensive rental.  But why does it need to be a rental?  The Angels don't need to be buyers, they might be able to sell and still maintain momentum in climbing the standings.

Selling Bourjos for example isn't going to end our season.  They have other options to replace Schuk, like Calhoun.  The depth is there in the outfield to be able to yield some need even if it is a high end prospect or two that needs more seasoning.  Then Trout would have center field, and it could be argued that is where he needs to be.

Dipoto showed an ability before to zero in on strong prospects to get the best in trade.  Maybe it's time for him to do that, vice chasing the big ticket guys who have thus far made his life harder.

I have a suspicion that Calhoun is the one who ends up going. I'm not sure why he isn't in Anaheim now.

You can still trade injured players. Teams just don't like to. Last year Crawford was traded even though he was still recovering from TJ surgery. If it was to land Lee and Paps, with Howard, and the Yanks gave up Roid or Teix. They might think it's worth it.

That's right.

Howard for Teix is basically a wash. Both injured maybe Howard goes under the knife too

That's right.

Howard for Teix is basically a wash. Both injured maybe Howard goes under the knife too

And the plus for the Phillies is the huge salary relief they will get.  Even taking on Arod or Teix's salary.  They can hit the reset button like Boston did last year.

For as much as I like trades, dealing Bourjos or Weaver or Trout won't solve anything.

Ideal deadline for me means we deal Downs, Vargas, and maybe Iannetta/Trumbo. Depending on how Lindsey finishes up (he's slumping) consider dealing Howie this offseason,

I don't see how buying does us any good long or short term.

For as much as I like trades, dealing Bourjos or Weaver or Trout won't solve anything.

Ideal deadline for me means we deal Downs, Vargas, and maybe Iannetta/Trumbo. Depending on how Lindsey finishes up (he's slumping) consider dealing Howie this offseason,

I don't see how buying does us any good long or short term.

are you suggesting the angels become sellers? if not, trading those players isn't going to make them any better.

are you suggesting the angels become sellers? if not, trading those players isn't going to make them any better.

It might next year.  Although I would try and extend Vargas.  In the last few weeks, Downs has increased his trade value.  I would even say that Blanton has increased his trade value the last few weeks.