• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Draft Thread

12 hours ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Why do you and Strand continually bash anyone who criticizes the Angels?  You guys are the soccer moms of LA Angels.  What in the last 10 years makes you feel like the team is in good hands and trusted?  Seriously, the angels could have George Costanza'd the past 7-10 years and done the opposite of what they thought and been WAY better off.  I question the intellect of anyone who trusts & supports this current FO & owner.

Look, Skippy, my buddy, @Second Base and I go way back and I respect his former scouting experience as a leg up on draft evaluation. I was prodding him because he was leaving the question of what was a better choice unsaid. Eventually he gave up his picks and I can't say he isn't right. 

I had my doubts about not grabbing the best player available at #8 but there is no denying the Angels are dead when it comes to middle infield prospects. So the first pick made organizational sense because they don't have the luxury of a stocked farm to grab the best player and then find a place for him.

Now 11 picks into the draft and I'm not really on board with another pitcher heavy draft where only 3 position players have been selected, one at the top and two at the bottom. It's unbalanced for a team needing more depth in both infield and the outfield. The picks here on out are all gambling so I have no expectations for help in those picks. 

In fact after the 5th round it is all guesswork, the talent pool has been skimmed pretty well. So my hopes were the first two picks were best players available in the college ranks to move into the lineup quickly, then go for the highest upside high school player with the third pick, which was also in the 2nd round.

Evidently my genius idea wasn't compatible with Minasian's plan. But at least I had some idea of a direction to take instead of just bitching about the team, which you could do in any thread and it would have the same conversational value. Pretty much none.

When I asked you what your picks are you ran away and pull the victim card. You still don't have any answers, just a bunch of bloviating about how bad the Angels are. You see where you are not building any foundation for respect? Probably not.

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Look, Skippy, my buddy, @Second Base and I go way back and I respect his former scouting experience as a leg up on draft evaluation. I was prodding him because he was leaving the question of what was a better choice unsaid. Eventually he gave up his picks and I can't say he isn't right. 

I had my doubts about not grabbing the best player available at #8 but there is no denying the Angels are dead when it comes to middle infield prospects. So the first pick made organizational sense because they don't have the luxury of a stocked farm to grab the best player and then find a place for him.

Now 11 picks into the draft and I'm not really on board with another pitcher heavy draft where only 3 position players have been selected, one at the top and two at the bottom. It's unbalanced for a team needing more depth in both infield and the outfield. The picks here on out are all gambling so I have no expectations for help in those picks. 

In fact after the 5th round it is all guesswork, the talent pool has been skimmed pretty well. So my hopes were the first two picks were best players available in the college ranks to move into the lineup quickly, then go for the highest upside high school player with the third pick, which was also in the 2nd round.

Evidently my genius idea wasn't compatible with Minasian's plan. But at least I had some idea of a direction to take instead of just bitching about the team, which you could do in any thread and it would have the same conversational value. Pretty much none.

When I asked you what your picks are you ran away and pull the victim card. You still don't have any answers, just a bunch of bloviating about how bad the Angels are. You see where you are not building any foundation for respect? Probably not.

I’m just a fan who is not interested in pretending to know something that I do not.  It’s a billion dollar company.  They should have expert scouts.  They should know more than you and me combined - by far.  You can keep pretending.  I won’t.  I’m not qualified.  However, I expect the team I follow to be.  History shows they are not.  

12 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

I’m just a fan who is not interested in pretending to know something that I do not.  It’s a billion dollar company.  They should have expert scouts.  They should know more than you and me combined - by far.  You can keep pretending.  I won’t.  I’m not qualified.  However, I expect the team I follow to be.  History shows they are not.  

As a fan, you should be pissed with the Angels. @Blarg and @Stradling are on some level, I can guarantee that. I’m skeptical of Perry’s draft approach this year. I felt there were some truly elite talents that he chose to pass on in favor of Moore and he really missed the ball on some truly intriguing pitchers. But even I must admit, this draft class was a strange one, and pretty weak overall. It’s going to be difficult for any GM to make magic from the ingredients available. I think it could’ve been done, and Perry didn’t do it, but Preller in San Diego, it Tampa Bay may have.

We’ll see. 

But 40,000 foot perspective, you aren’t wrong to feel the way you feel.

14 minutes ago, Second Base said:

As a fan, you should be pissed with the Angels. @Blarg and @Stradling are on some level, I can guarantee that. I’m skeptical of Perry’s draft approach this year. I felt there were some truly elite talents that he chose to pass on in favor of Moore and he really missed the ball on some truly intriguing pitchers. But even I must admit, this draft class was a strange one, and pretty weak overall. It’s going to be difficult for any GM to make magic from the ingredients available. I think it could’ve been done, and Perry didn’t do it, but Preller in San Diego, it Tampa Bay may have.

We’ll see. 

But 40,000 foot perspective, you aren’t wrong to feel the way you feel.

Remember Yessavage was a top 10 guy and slid all the way to 20th? San Diego went down to a second round ranked pick for their first. It's like there is a core of GMs that are using some other metric for player evaluation. 

As for my mood about the team. I don't vent as loudly as others but I have my moments. Then I delete the post. But the last near decade has been miserable. The only solace I have is watching the new guys learn the game. This core they have now is the brightest light in a damn dark tunnel we've had in decades. 

I'm just hoping Arte doesn't fuck it up, again. 

Honestly the only solace I have with this organization is this website. If it wasn’t for this website I would have given up on the Angels and baseball in general a long time ago. But knowing I can come on here everyday whenever wherever and know there are some angel fans I can talk to… keeps me in the game. 

Thank you @Chuck and Co

Sawyer Farr, Noah Franco and Duncan Marsten are the remaining guys that I’m intrigued by. Most of Perry’s picks in rounds 1-10 were questionable under slot guys that I’m b hoping they make a HUGE splash in round 11 and salvage what appears to be a pretty weak draft from a weak draft class.

59 minutes ago, Second Base said:

My hot take so far is that outside of Moore and whoever their 11th round pick is tomorrow, Ryan Prager will be their best selection and will be a major league starting pitcher in some capacity, be it a swing starter or back end guy.

I don’t think that’s much of a hot take

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

My hot take so far is that outside of Moore and whoever their 11th round pick is tomorrow, Ryan Prager will be their best selection and will be a major league starting pitcher in some capacity, be it a swing starter or back end guy.

It is a weird draft class.  When responding to Chuck about the strength of SEC pitching I pointed to what... five guys total? one of them being a RP.  You being a part of the prospect "posse" have been privy to my thoughts on ranking relievers in our top 30s so it says a lot about my opinion of the depth of this draft that I even mentioned Cortez.  While I believe there were arms to be drafted outside of the SEC, the Angels could have done a lot worse than him and Prager.

The wild card may be the tall skinny guy with the 10:1 K:W rate and the weird delivery.  

7 hours ago, Ochocinco! said:

Honestly the only solace I have with this organization is this website. If it wasn’t for this website I would have given up on the Angels and baseball in general a long time ago. But knowing I can come on here everyday whenever wherever and know there are some angel fans I can talk to… keeps me in the game. 

Thank you @Chuck and Co

Well said. Same here. Big shout out to Chuck and the gang!

~ArkyAngelsFan~

8 hours ago, Ochocinco! said:

Thank you @Chuck and Co

23 minutes ago, ArkyAngelsFan said:

Well said. Same here. Big shout out to Chuck and the gang!

~ArkyAngelsFan~

You guys are the best. I really appreciate the kind words and great feedback. It really goes a long way into continuing to invest into the website.

Thank You Thank You GIF by Sesame Street

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

It is a weird draft class.  When responding to Chuck about the strength of SEC pitching I pointed to what... five guys total? one of them being a RP.  You being a part of the prospect "posse" have been privy to my thoughts on ranking relievers in our top 30s so it says a lot about my opinion of the depth of this draft that I even mentioned Cortez.  While I believe there were arms to be drafted outside of the SEC, the Angels could have done a lot worse than him and Prager.

The wild card may be the tall skinny guy with the 10:1 K:W rate and the weird delivery.  

Yeah I was talking to someone yesterday and he said Cortez and Johnson are going to remain as starters and there's a chance they could be successful at the big league level. Worst case scenario, decent to great late inning relievers. 

If the organization had a financial commitment towards player development, the specific player selected becomes less of a factor.  Obviously, the Angels select players who can quickly move through their system because there is no system. 

Every time Rendon take the field, it reminds me that the Angels (Arte) prefer to throw millions of dollars to one player hoping they care enough to play 50% of the season instead of throwing millions of dollars to lots of young players hoping that some develop into major league players.

With that said, it is a business and how Arte spends and makes his money is up to him.

42 minutes ago, eligrba said:

If the organization had a financial commitment towards player development, the specific player selected becomes less of a factor.  Obviously, the Angels select players who can quickly move through their system because there is no system. 

Every time Rendon take the field, it reminds me that the Angels (Arte) prefer to throw millions of dollars to one player hoping they care enough to play 50% of the season instead of throwing millions of dollars to lots of young players hoping that some develop into major league players.

With that said, it is a business and how Arte spends and makes his money is up to him.

Ok so using this as your basis, what did this off season mean when they spent no money?  Are they now more interested in player development? 

58 minutes ago, Chuck said:

You guys are the best. I really appreciate the kind words and great feedback. It really goes a long way into continuing to invest into the website.

The least you could do is get rid of the vending machine in the front office, it's not like we're the A's.  

35 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Some of the highest ranked guys left that the Angels may draft in the 11th round on day 3 of the draft. 

Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 9.43.47 AM.png

Take Sawyer Farr. The Angels need middle infield depth and SS can be converted to outfield if need be since they are usually the best athlete on any team. At 6'5" and 195 lbs that kid has a lot of filling in to do. 

For me the biggest question mark pick was Cortez in the second round, especially when you had Amick available. Overall I think we got some good value in the draft, and saved some money to grab another high upside prep player. 

off the remaining players, Whitney would be the ideal pick, followed by Shull and then Kuhns. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm actually digging the first four picks in the draft. There's a good chance that with health and development that all four could be major leaguers.

You can't say that about a lot of draft picks. 

Just how good of a major leaguer that they'll be will be dependent on their development and as I mentioned, health. 

The rest of the picks are whatever. Hopefully one or two of the guys in rounds 5-10 develop into something good for the Angels. 

5 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

For me the biggest question mark pick was Cortez in the second round, especially when you had Amick available. Overall I think we got some good value in the draft, and saved some money to grab another high upside prep player. 

off the remaining players, Whitney would be the ideal pick, followed by Shull and then Kuhns. 

I wasn't really impressed with Amick and I watched a bunch of TN Vols games. 

Has a poor defensive profile and while he has some pop to his pull side, he has below-average pure contact skills expands the zone way too much.