• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Draft Thread

13 minutes ago, Adam said:

Pretty sure this TN dude was getting pulled late in games for defense. He'll prolly convert to LF

He's no better or worse than Howie Kendrick defensively from what I've seen. He can definitely get better with additional coaching from Ron Washington and Ryan Goins. 

Austin Gordon is a 6-foot-5, 200-pound righthander who pitched as a reliever in his 2022 freshman season with Campbell before a solid transition to the starting rotation in 2023. He’s taken a bit of a step backward in 2024 and bounced between starting and relieving with his control slipping compared to his first two seasons. Gordon has a great pitcher’s frame and throws from a three-quarter slot with some effort, and averages 92-93 with a fastball that will touch 97. He throws two breaking balls: the first a short-biting slider in the mid-to-upper 80s that looks like a cutter at times and the second a slower curveball in the upper 70s with significantly more depth. Gordon will also toss in a mid-80s changeup down and to his arm side, but it’s a rarely used fourth pitch.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't even know that this guy is "reliever risk."  That's what he was this season.

Still kinda baffled by the draft so far and hoping that there's some twist coming.

This just feels like a guy you get in round 10 or 12

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't even know that this guy is "reliever risk."  That's what he was this season.

Still kinda baffled by the draft so far and hoping that there's some twist coming.

Yeah there's a few position players that they passed on in favor of Austin Gordon. Maybe they see something really special in him? 

1 hour ago, Angels in 2030 said:

lol.  This is something a cheater would tell their spouse.  Glutton for punishment. 

The measure of intelligence is the ability to change

I  wouldn't know, I have never cheated on my spouse.

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

This just feels like a guy you get in round 10 or 12

Nah, I think this is a guy you sign waaayyy under-slot and take that half-mil for a HS guy in the last half of today or 11th rd. Bet he gets $125k max for a pick valued over $600k.

Moore won’t be a massive discount, wouldn’t be surprised if he is at a lot like Schanuel was. At-slot is still cheaper than over-slot though. Gotta get those savings with another pick or two still.

Edited by totdprods

Just now, totdprods said:

Nah, I think this is a guy you sign waaayyy under-slot and take that half-mil for a HS guy in the last half of today or 11th rd.

Meaning like Whitney or Schmidt? Why not just take that guy earlier? I don't really get the underslot games.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Meaning like Whitney or Schmidt? Why not just take that guy earlier? I don't really get the underslot games.

I think those guys have probably made it clear they won’t sign, otherwise they would’ve been drafted by this point.

The Angels will probably nab a HS guy or two ranked in the 100-150 range on MLB.com for their overslot guy, not someone way up in the Top 50 who wasn’t picked.

Edited by totdprods

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think those guys have probably made it clear they won’t sign, otherwise they would’ve been drafted by this point.

The Angels will probably nab a HS guy or two ranked in the 100-150 range on MLB.com for their overslot guy, not someone way up in the Top 50 who wasn’t picked.

I could see them throw money at Lazaro Collera.  Big kid, already upper 90s super super heavy FB.  He's Miami commit, but he's someone that could possibly be enticed to sign.

Ok, looking at the birthdates of these guys makes me feel old. 

Both Moore and Prager were born during the Angels 2002 WS win. Moore on a travel day between games 2 and 3 and Prager on the day of the biggest comeback in Angels history, Game 6!

Cortez was born earlier in the month, the day after the Angels beat the Yankees in Game 4 of the Wild Card round.

Jordan was born during the 2005 ALCS.

Johnson was born during the 2002 season as well, in August and Gordon was born in June of 03.