• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Draft Thread

15 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Will there be enough total slot money left after signing Moore to draft and sign Whitney away from Oregon State?

Probably, they also can save money from other picks as they have in prior drafts. 

I’m not sure we will see them go after the remaining Top 100 guys for the over-slot signings, those guys the Angels have signed have tended to come from the 100-200 ranked tied. But maybe that’s different this year since they have way more early picks than usual.

2 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Pitching, SS, Pitching, SS, Pitching and more Pitching the rest of the way please.

OF is real thin in the upper levels. I’m hoping we address some needs by getting a college outfielder, a safe college starter, and another overslot HS SP to pair up with the Dana and Kent wave. 

Edited by totdprods

E431`

Just now, totdprods said:

OF is real thin in the upper levels. I’m hoping for a college outfielder, a safe college starter, and another overslot HS SP to pair up with the Dana and Kent wave. 

I say SS repeatedly in jest. I think I joked in some other thread awhile back that we need to follow the padres draft theory of drafting nothing but SS’s and eventually just trade them or move them to different positions but SS seems to be the safest position to draft 

12 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

E431`

I say SS repeatedly in jest. I think I joked in some other thread awhile back that we need to follow the padres draft theory of drafting nothing but SS’s and eventually just trade them or move them to different positions but SS seems to be the safest position to draft 

We’ve kinda tried that with the international signings haha. 

I wonder if they go for another TN Vols player in RHP Drew Beam. 

Beam lost his last two high school seasons to the pandemic (2020) and internal brace surgery on his elbow (2021), but that didn't prevent him from making an immediate impact at Tennessee. He won Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Year accolades in 2022 and was the best starter on the Volunteers' College World Series team last spring. One of the most polished and consistent pitchers in the college ranks, he allowed two runs in two CWS starts as Tennessee won its first national championship in June, though his arsenal was a little less effective this year than it had been previously.

Beam would show flashes of three plus pitches in the past, but his stuff has played mostly average across the board in 2024. His best offering is a mid-80s changeup with fade and sink that works well with a fastball that operates at 93-95 mph and climbs to 98 with carry. He gets good depth on a low-80s curveball and also can mix in an upper-80s cutter to give hitters a different look.

While Beam repeats his clean delivery well and provides regular strikes with all of his offerings, he isn't missing a ton of bats. He limits the damage by generating a lot of groundball contact but his floor stands out more than his ceiling. He's one of the safest bets in this Draft to make it as a big league starter.

Dakota Jordan was WAY overrated at 35. But in round 3 or 4, yeah, that’s about where he should be picked. Likely a AAAA OF like Taylor Trammell. But in the middle round you absolutely bet on that upside if there’s no pitcher you’re particularly keen on.

Who do we all want with the 81st pick?

MLB.com's top ten remaining...

https://www.mlb.com/news/2024-mlb-draft-day-2-overview-and-schedule?t=mlb-draft-coverage

College guys:

Jordan, OF (34)

Sirota, OF (50)

Bazzell, C (55)

Prager, LHP (61)

Beam, RHP (64)

Tears, OF (66)

Miller, 3B (68)

Hartle, LHP (70)

HS Guys:

Oakie, RHP (46)

Whitney, RHP (56)

Just now, Hubs said:

Who do we all want with the 81st pick?

MLB.com's top ten remaining...

https://www.mlb.com/news/2024-mlb-draft-day-2-overview-and-schedule?t=mlb-draft-coverage

College guys:

Jordan, OF (34)

Sirota, OF (50)

Bazzell, C (55)

Prager, LHP (61)

Beam, RHP (64)

Tears, OF (66)

Miller, 3B (68)

Hartle, LHP (70)

HS Guys:

Oakie, RHP (46)

Whitney, RHP (56)

These guys went to Tennessee..

And it's Prager! I like this guy. I watched some film thinking he might be the guy at the Shohei pick. After hearing the college lefty blurb from Lindsay Crosby on the Locked On podcast on Friday.

9 hours ago, BTH said:

I’m not who you were responding to, but I want to look back in three years and see how it looks.

8: Braden Montgomery

45: Billy Amick

74: Ryan Prager

They just took Prager a round later! Sweet!

Edited by BTH

Prager was one of the more projectable left-handers in the 2021 Texas high school crop, but he was also the valedictorian of his high school class and set on attending Texas A&M, so he went undrafted. He cracked the Aggies' weekend rotation as a freshman but blew out his elbow, had Tommy John surgery in October 2022 and redshirted last year. He emerged as the ace of the College World Series runners-up this spring and should factor into the second or third round.

While Prager hasn't added any velocity since high school, working at 90 mph and peaking at 93 with his fastball, it has been unhittable because it comes out of a high release height with a ton of carry and he commands it so well. His low-80s slider plays well off his up-in-the-zone heater, darting under bats with two-plane depth. His low-80s changeup has similar action and elicits more empty swings and chases than his other offerings.

Prager doesn't light up radar guns but he keeps hitters off balance as well as any pitcher in the college ranks. His near-over-the-top delivery provides plenty of deception, and his ability to mix and command all three of his pitches also helps them play up. He's a high-floor mid-rotation starter and some scouts think he has more upside and velocity left in his tank.