• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Draft Thread

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

Okay, on the record, who are your first three picks. We can bookmark and see where they are three years from now. 

I’m not who you were responding to, but I want to look back in three years and see how it looks.

8: Braden Montgomery

45: Billy Amick

74: Ryan Prager

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

If you are a high school kid contemplating college and you are drafted by the Angels, does the aggressive promotions help with sign-ability? 

No, because a high school kid should prioritize maximizing his development.

College players would want to go to the Angels because the sooner they get up, the earlier they hit free agency. And then they are hitting free agency in their late 20s/early 30s rather than mid/late 30s

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I mean Sonny Chiarra was a dude with a bad body and a near perfect approach so you'd figure he would at the very least maintain his walk rate but he's been awful. 

I place most of the blame on DiChiara.

You’ve been in pro ball 3 years and your body still looks like that? If you’re not willing to put in the effort to get into decent playing shape, I’m not sure how invested you are.

3 hours ago, arch stanton said:

If the Angels had drafted Kirby would they have forced him to throw more breaking balls like they love to do?

Luckily for him, his slider was already his best pitch.  But they likely would have wanted him to throw it even more and his walk rate wouldn't be what it's been.

3 hours ago, BTH said:

No, because a high school kid should prioritize maximizing his development.

College players would want to go to the Angels because the sooner they get up, the earlier they hit free agency. And then they are hitting free agency in their late 20s/early 30s rather than mid/late 30s

Yes but high school kids don’t think like that, neither do college kids. 

6 hours ago, halodground said:

I don’t understand why they like to draft players with such limited upside. Especially on the pitching side. Agree with the statements above that it makes little sense to waste a high pick on someone projected to be a reliever. But can’t argue with the possibility that it is related to the inability to develop talent effectively. Going with high floor I guess mitigates that somewhat.

There is a reason why this franchise is no longer competitive. 

Going into Day Two..

• Dax Whitney is giving me some Caden Dana vibes… 6’5” HSer out of Idaho, committed to Oregon State. Easy, repeatable mechanics, hitting mid-90s, strong control, four-pitch mix but change needs some work
  • Ryan Prager seems like a pretty safe guy to take a flier on for rotation depth. Hartle or Beam are Top 100 safe college arms still out there too.
  • Still think a college outfielder will be an early pick…Sirota checks some boxes, Tennessee’s Kavares Tears would reunite with teammate Moore.

14 hours ago, DMVol said:

I think Neto was a good pick. Looks like Schanuel, maybe Joyce were too. Detmers, Silseth, Bachman we’ll see. O’Hoppe appears to be a good evaluation, albeit with a steep price (Marsh). 

What missing here is farm system player development.  We're not doing that -- or at least haven't been the past 7-10+ years.  Of course, improvements to the development staff and farm system coaches/etc. take time to show up.  So hopefully the necessary changes and big improvements have been made, and we'll see positive results and fruit of their labor in the form of developed minor leaguers in the coming years.  I'll remain skeptical because "hope" hasn't worked the past decade.  I fear it's an Arte top down issue.  But maybe one day our GM can convince a sea-change and we get quality results. 

11 hours ago, Blarg said:

Hey, no backing out now like Skippy did. You think they failed and you're smarter, who are your first three? 

Why do you and Strand continually bash anyone who criticizes the Angels?  You guys are the soccer moms of LA Angels.  What in the last 10 years makes you feel like the team is in good hands and trusted?  Seriously, the angels could have George Costanza'd the past 7-10 years and done the opposite of what they thought and been WAY better off.  I question the intellect of anyone who trusts & supports this current FO & owner.

31 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Going into Day Two..

• Dax Whitney is giving me some Caden Dana vibes… 6’5” HSer out of Idaho, committed to Oregon State. Easy, repeatable mechanics, hitting mid-90s, strong control, four-pitch mix but change needs some work
  • Ryan Prager seems like a pretty safe guy to take a flier on for rotation depth. Hartle or Beam are Top 100 safe college arms still out there too.
  • Still think a college outfielder will be an early pick…Sirota checks some boxes, Tennessee’s Kavares Tears would reunite with teammate Moore.

Just watched a video saying hartle was supposed to be a better pitcher than Chase burns going into last year. I’d definitely kick the tires there.

23 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Why do you and Strand continually bash anyone who criticizes the Angels?  You guys are the soccer moms of LA Angels.  What in the last 10 years makes you feel like the team is in good hands and trusted?  Seriously, the angels could have George Costanza'd the past 7-10 years and done the opposite of what they thought and been WAY better off.  I question the intellect of anyone who trusts & supports this current FO & owner.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Lets see how it plays out.

Best available for today's draft. 

I wonder if Dakota Jordan is there the Angels select him?

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 11.29.06 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 11.33.29 AM.png

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 60 | Run: 60 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50 

One of the best prep athletes in the 2022 Draft, Jordan went unselected because he planned on playing baseball and football at Mississippi State. The three-star wide receiver recruit wound up giving up the gridiron and handled the rugged Southeastern Conference well, batting .336 and bashing 30 homers in two seasons. He has improved faster than scouts expected and could factor into the first round this July as a sophomore-eligible.

Jordan may have more bat speed than anyone in the 2024 Draft, and his lightning-fast right-handed swing and strength produce huge exit velocities and at least plus power to all fields. He made strides with his pitch recognition and plate discipline as a freshman, inspiring confidence that his pop will translate at higher levels. He still needs to prove he can make consistent contact, because he swings through fastballs and chases breaking balls, weaknesses that contributed to a 29 percent strikeout rate this spring. 

While Jordan has at least plus speed and may have plus-plus straight-line quickness, he's still learning how to make the most of it. He's not aggressive on the bases and is shaky in the outfield, where he spent most of his freshman year in left. His arm has gotten a little stronger since high school and now grades as average.

Please note the following players announced their intentions to reach campus late in the process. They were removed from the best available list.

No. 22 William Schmidt (LSU)
No. 79 Charlie Bates (Stanford)
No. 87 Owen Paino (Ole Miss)
No. 125 Cade Arrambide (LSU)