• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

They have O’Hoppe, Neto, Schanuel all in their 22-23 year age group. Tearing it all down wastes their careers waiting for your rebuild. Selling them off would be a tragic mistake in that you'd never recover better players for. 

At some point you have to build instead of wrecking ball everything you have to work with. Drop in a viable second baseman and the infield is set, even without Rendon. 

You can see the framework of a pitching staff in place with Dana soon to establish himself. The relief core, from in house, is solidifying. 

These are the base of the rebuild. There is nothing more to tear down except get what you can from Drury, Anderson, Estevez, Matt Moore and Free Willy Calhoun. 

I see where you’re coming from, and I loved the O’Hoppe trade and picking Neto. Their rebuild should’ve started a year ago, the could’ve gotten a prospect load for Ohtani, and they’d still have Quero and Ky Bush in the system. Throw in the Ohtani prospects, a more prep centered draft and whatever prospects they would get back this year if they sold everyone else off including Rengifo, Ward and Anderson….

THEN, you’d have the makings of something to build around.

11 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I suspect part of Perry's philosophy is that the Angels are incapable of developing talent.

I think that’s true and if it is, then Perry needs to be fired. You don’t pass on the best prospects simply because you’re incapable. You hire capable coaches, coordinators and scouts, you overhaul the philosophy of the system and you draft the best players.

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I see where you’re coming from, and I loved the O’Hoppe trade and picking Neto. Their rebuild should’ve started a year ago, the could’ve gotten a prospect load for Ohtani, and they’d still have Quero and Ky Bush in the system. Throw in the Ohtani prospects, a more prep centered draft and whatever prospects they would get back this year if they sold everyone else off including Rengifo, Ward and Anderson….

THEN, you’d have the makings of something to build around.

Ohtani should have been traded in 2022 at his highest value when it was obvious the Angels hit a wall where they had hit payroll ceiling and still had an incomplete team. Last years deadline buy was criminal negligence. 

But now we are here, sort of a point of no return. Draft for need and hope they meet MLB minimum value. Which is a shit ton better than the free agent scrubs they were filling holes with. 

Find an exit strategy with Rendon, minimize Trout's exposure to injury and go with the kids and see where it takes you.

This was 2019, so 5 years later it's safe to say we essentially know who these guys are. Even the 1st Round is a crap shoot. I think we've seen that Neto and Schanuel are at least capable of being league average - above league average players. Potentially. And that's the goal, isn't it? To fill your roster with guys that are 2.5 WAR minimum guys, then hope 2-3 of them pop and become stars? I don't like this rushing to the majors thing, but I think talent-wise we've shown that these guys aren't going to get DFA's in a year or two. Bachman, we will see. 

That said, I am NOT a fan of taking likely relievers in Rounds 2 and Comp B. Not smart, but if the talent is really shallow then maybe the idea is to go for the sure thing? Because it seems these guys are minimum ML relievers. 

1. Baltimore Orioles Adley Rutschman C Oregon State
2. Kansas City Royals Bobby Witt Jr. SS Colleyville Heritage HS (TX)
3. Chicago White Sox Andrew Vaughn 1B California
4. Miami Marlins J.J. Bleday OF Vanderbilt
5. Detroit Tigers Riley Greene OF Hagerty HS (FL)
6. San Diego Padres C.J. Abrams SS Blessed Trinity HS (GA)
7. Cincinnati Reds Nick Lodolo LHP TCU
8. Texas Rangers Josh Jung 3B Texas Tech
9. Atlanta Braves Shea Langeliers C Baylor
10. San Francisco Giants Hunter Bishop OF Arizona State
11. Toronto Blue Jays Alek Manoah RHP West Virginia
12. New York Mets Brett Baty 3B Lake Travis HS (TX)
13. Minnesota Twins Keoni Cavaco 3B Eastlake HS (CA)
14. Philadelphia Phillies Bryson Stott SS UNLV
15. Los Angeles Angels Will Wilson SS NC State
16. Arizona Diamondbacks Corbin Carroll CF Lakeside HS (WA)
17. Washington Nationals Jackson Rutledge RHP San Jacinto College North (TX)
18. Pittsburgh Pirates Quinn Priester RHP Cary-Grove HS (IL)
19. St. Louis Cardinals Zack Thompson LHP Kentucky
20. Seattle Mariners George Kirby RHP Elon
21. Atlanta Braves Braden Shewmake SS Texas A&M
22. Tampa Bay Rays Greg Jones SS UNC Wilmington
23. Colorado Rockies Michael Toglia 1B UCLA
24. Cleveland Indians Daniel Espino RHP Georgia Premier Academy (GA)
25. Los Angeles Dodgers Kody Hoese 3B Tulane
26. Arizona Diamondbacks Blake Walston LHP New Hanover HS (NC)
27. Chicago Cubs Ryan Jensen RHP Fresno State
28. Milwaukee Brewers Ethan Small LHP Mississippi State
29. Oakland Athletics Logan Davidson SS Clemson
30. New York Yankees Anthony Volpe SS Delbarton School (NJ)
31. Los Angeles Dodgers Michael Busch 1B UNC
32. Houston Astros Korey Lee C

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

At some point you have to build instead of wrecking ball everything you have to work with. Drop in a viable second baseman and the infield is set, even without Rendon.

Especially if they target guys in this age group at the trade deadline at 3B, and in the OF.

Blarg I agree with your points.

Looking from the outside and going only with the information I can see and hear, it seems Perry is trying to plug holes on the major league level with today’s draft. 

Pure speculation, maybe Perry is frustrated with Arte’s lack of interest in spending money on player development (minor league system) so he is using a work around approach by doing what he is doing. Developing players on the major league level. Then everything we’re seeing this season makes sense to me. This coaching staff is evidence that too.  

Edited by HaloBronco

I don’t understand why they like to draft players with such limited upside. Especially on the pitching side. Agree with the statements above that it makes little sense to waste a high pick on someone projected to be a reliever. But can’t argue with the possibility that it is related to the inability to develop talent effectively. Going with high floor I guess mitigates that somewhat.

57 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

This was 2019, so 5 years later it's safe to say we essentially know who these guys are. Even the 1st Round is a crap shoot. I think we've seen that Neto and Schanuel are at least capable of being league average - above league average players. Potentially. And that's the goal, isn't it? To fill your roster with guys that are 2.5 WAR minimum guys, then hope 2-3 of them pop and become stars? I don't like this rushing to the majors thing, but I think talent-wise we've shown that these guys aren't going to get DFA's in a year or two. Bachman, we will see. 

That said, I am NOT a fan of taking likely relievers in Rounds 2 and Comp B. Not smart, but if the talent is really shallow then maybe the idea is to go for the sure thing? Because it seems these guys are minimum ML relievers. 

1. Baltimore Orioles Adley Rutschman C Oregon State
2. Kansas City Royals Bobby Witt Jr. SS Colleyville Heritage HS (TX)
3. Chicago White Sox Andrew Vaughn 1B California
4. Miami Marlins J.J. Bleday OF Vanderbilt
5. Detroit Tigers Riley Greene OF Hagerty HS (FL)
6. San Diego Padres C.J. Abrams SS Blessed Trinity HS (GA)
7. Cincinnati Reds Nick Lodolo LHP TCU
8. Texas Rangers Josh Jung 3B Texas Tech
9. Atlanta Braves Shea Langeliers C Baylor
10. San Francisco Giants Hunter Bishop OF Arizona State
11. Toronto Blue Jays Alek Manoah RHP West Virginia
12. New York Mets Brett Baty 3B Lake Travis HS (TX)
13. Minnesota Twins Keoni Cavaco 3B Eastlake HS (CA)
14. Philadelphia Phillies Bryson Stott SS UNLV
15. Los Angeles Angels Will Wilson SS NC State
16. Arizona Diamondbacks Corbin Carroll CF Lakeside HS (WA)
17. Washington Nationals Jackson Rutledge RHP San Jacinto College North (TX)
18. Pittsburgh Pirates Quinn Priester RHP Cary-Grove HS (IL)
19. St. Louis Cardinals Zack Thompson LHP Kentucky
20. Seattle Mariners George Kirby RHP Elon
21. Atlanta Braves Braden Shewmake SS Texas A&M
22. Tampa Bay Rays Greg Jones SS UNC Wilmington
23. Colorado Rockies Michael Toglia 1B UCLA
24. Cleveland Indians Daniel Espino RHP Georgia Premier Academy (GA)
25. Los Angeles Dodgers Kody Hoese 3B Tulane
26. Arizona Diamondbacks Blake Walston LHP New Hanover HS (NC)
27. Chicago Cubs Ryan Jensen RHP Fresno State
28. Milwaukee Brewers Ethan Small LHP Mississippi State
29. Oakland Athletics Logan Davidson SS Clemson
30. New York Yankees Anthony Volpe SS Delbarton School (NJ)
31. Los Angeles Dodgers Michael Busch 1B UNC
32. Houston Astros Korey Lee C

Pretty wild that 14 of the top 16 picks are solids hits, and here come the Halos at 15 laying a giant turd.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

Pretty wild that 14 of the top 16 picks are solids hits, and here come the Halos at 15 laying a giant turd.

and to make matters worse, they could've had corbin carroll.

4 minutes ago, halodground said:

I don’t understand why they like to draft players with such limited upside. Especially on the pitching side. Agree with the statements above that it makes little sense to waste a high pick on someone projected to be a reliever. But can’t argue with the possibility that it is related to the inability to develop talent effectively. Going with high floor I guess mitigates that somewhat.

I honestly don't understand why it is difficult to develop a pitcher. Like, this stuff is pretty straight forward. Either you got the arm or you don't, the rest is just health and reps.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The guy I wanted and said as much was a George Kirby....  I'm still bitter.

yeah, he'd have been a good one. 

have you considered doing some yoga to release that which pesters your baseball heart? or perhaps a good vegan smoothie would do the trick, like something with wheat germ, chia sees, and lemon grass.

9 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Meanwhile Dipoto didnt draft shit when he was here. lol. This is so fucked!

The one thing he did there that he completely screwed up here was he left most of the scouting department in place.  The Mariners had a really good scouting department, they just struggled developing guys, specifically hitters.  Honestly, outside of Rodriguez and their catcher they still haven't done all that well.  They have another crop of hitters brewing so maybe it turns out better this time.

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

yeah, he'd have been a good one. 

have you considered doing some yoga to release that which pesters your baseball heart? or perhaps a good vegan smoothie would do the trick, like something with wheat germ, chia sees, and lemon grass.

Sometimes I read Mookyspice's poems and just let the feelings flow.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The one thing he did there that he completely screwed up here was he left most of the scouting department in place.  The Mariners had a really good scouting department, they just struggled developing guys, specifically hitters.  Honestly, outside of Rodriguez and their catcher they still haven't done all that well.  The have another crop of hitters brewing so maybe it turns out better this time.

At least you're optimistic that Jerry has turned things around...

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

At least you're optimistic that Jerry has turned things around...

I still think he's an ass hat, but at least he learned not to fuck up a good thing because you want to be the big boss guy.

I will never forgive what he did to the farm system.

Also I find it hilarious that after everything he did to dick MS under, the dude has been building prototypical MS teams.  All pitching, lots of defense and enough offense to win the close games.

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I wish these guys could have seen the clown show that was the Mariners aol baseball boards...  The poems to the Titanic theme was pure comedy.

that was an amazingly fun time. we got away with a lot, and it was totally worth it. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The guy I wanted and said as much was a George Kirby....  I'm still bitter.

If the Angels had drafted Kirby would they have forced him to throw more breaking balls like they love to do?