• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Draft Thread

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Angels are picking earlier and more often than any year in their recent history and they came away with a league average 2B and two RP. 

Fantastic.

Okay, on the record, who are your first three picks. We can bookmark and see where they are three years from now. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Okay, on the record, who are your first three picks. We can bookmark and see where they are three years from now. 

With the caveat they had to be available when the Angels drafted. 

Thank you for asking! I’ll wait until three years from now and then pick. 

All things considered, I think the Christian Moore pick will prove to be an adequate one.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Thank you for asking! I’ll wait until three years from now and then pick. 

All things considered, I think the Christian Moore pick will prove to be an adequate one.

Hey, no backing out now like Skippy did. You think they failed and you're smarter, who are your first three? 

Purely on optics I would have gone:

montgomery

sloan

sirota (drafted by the dodgers 2 years ago but chose to go to college)

I don’t know shit about these players but rankings and scouting have to mean something. 

Why draft relievers in round 2/2b when they are a dime a dozen and a complete crapshoot from year to year. Isn’t that what you should draft rounds 10 or later?

I don’t hate the 1st rounder but I would have pushed for Montgomery since he likely only fell due to the injury concern. I’f completely healthy I would assume top 5 pick no questions.

Hey, no backing out now like Skippy did. You think they failed and you're smarter, who are your first three? 

It’s not about right and wrong Blarg. It’s philosophy. The Angels are still drafting for the immediate when I believe they need a complete tear down and rebuilding, starting with the way they draft. 

The most successful teams have accurately scouted and drafted high upside prep players, and those take more than three years to materialize. Even someone like Jackson Holliday, we’re two years since his draft day and this time next year we still won’t know the final product. 

So hit me up in five years, not three. 

But to answer your question, I believe the Angels first pick should’ve been one of the prep players, like Griffin, Rainier or Gillen (I haven’t gone in depth enough on either of them to say one for sure. They all look decent though). 

Second round pick, I think I would’ve targeted a Boston Bateman type of upside arm and develop him. The compensation pick, probably William Schmidt. Or maybe a polished college starter that lacks upside but carries a solid floor.

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It’s not about right and wrong Blarg. It’s philosophy. The Angels are still drafting for the immediate when I believe they need a complete tear down and rebuilding, starting with the way they draft. 

The most successful teams have accurately scouted and drafted high upside prep players, and those take more than three years to materialize. Even someone like Jackson Holliday, we’re two years since his draft day and this time next year we still won’t know the final product. 

So hit me up in five years, not three. 

But to answer your question, I believe the Angels first pick should’ve been one of the prep players, like Griffin, Rainier or Gillen (I haven’t gone in depth enough on either of them to say one for sure. They all look decent though). 

Second round pick, I think I would’ve targeted a Boston Bateman type of upside arm and develop him. The compensation pick, probably William Schmidt. Or maybe a polished college starter that lacks upside but carries a solid floor.

I suspect part of Perry's philosophy is that the Angels are incapable of developing talent.

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

They have O’Hoppe, Neto, Schanuel all in their 22-23 year age group. Tearing it all down wastes their careers waiting for your rebuild. Selling them off would be a tragic mistake in that you'd never recover better players for. 

At some point you have to build instead of wrecking ball everything you have to work with. Drop in a viable second baseman and the infield is set, even without Rendon. 

You can see the framework of a pitching staff in place with Dana soon to establish himself. The relief core, from in house, is solidifying. 

These are the base of the rebuild. There is nothing more to tear down except get what you can from Drury, Anderson, Estevez, Matt Moore and Free Willy Calhoun.