• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Tennessee fan here—I’ve watched Moore for 3 years. Elite hitter, really good athlete but a real project defensively. Need to find him a position.

That’s what’s I’m hearing. But his defense isn’t anything worse or better than Brandon Drury from one person I spoke with so that works. 

To me, I was never particularly worried with who they picked at #8. It was almost always going to be a college bat, underslot, who would be quick to bigs.

What’s real intriguing to me is how they use some money savings from #8 for the next few guys. Their next three picks will be reeeeeal interesting.

BTW, MLB is such a dumbass organization it's just incredible they make any money. Manfred is a dope.

This is pretty much a dead date and timezone for the draft and promoting their new talent. It's a Sunday after the 1st half ends and there is nothing we see of these guys after today and we really don't see them much at all. 

But what happens next week? The All Star game and that has just barely any interest, especially the days before. So shift the draft to the days before the game and get some hype for the new kids on the block. 

Introduce them on stage then to their new teammates at a special pre game event, get them in front of fans to start some interest, even get some gloves and bats and have some fielding and batting practice on a MLB field. Then put them in the stands, all grouped together and show their reactions to the game they want to play in some day. 

Or, do this shit that really doesn't move the needle for getting new fans invested into the game. 

A Connecticut prep school product, Moore posted a 1.062 OPS as a semiregular at Tennessee as a freshman and encored with a 1.046 OPS next spring. He has taken his production to a higher level this spring, leading NCAA Division I with 111 hits, ranking third with 34 homers (a school record) and setting another Volunteers mark with 61 career dingers. He hit for the cycle in Tennessee's College World Series opener and led off the clincher with a home run en route to the program's first national championship.

Solidly built at 6-foot-1 and 210 pounds, Moore looks to do damage with an aggressive approach. His mindset, bat speed and strength give him power that plays to all fields and 25-30 homer potential, and he works deep counts in search of pitches to drive and draws a healthy amount of walks. His right-handed swing can get overly long and he still chases too many pitches out of the zone, but he's making more consistent contact in 2024.

Though Moore's big hacks lead to below-average run times out of the batter's box, he can show solid speed once he gets going and looks to steal and take extra bases. He can make some fine plays in the middle infield but also can botch some routine ones and needs more defensive consistency. He played briefly at shortstop this year but his average arm strength means he's probably more of a second baseman, and it's possible that he could wind up in center field.