• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Anthony Rendon Interview

51 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm sorry yes 3 years, my mistake.

If Rendon played well when healthy I'd  agree with you.  Again,  somehow we just need Trout to be healthy. I'm very confident if Trout is healthy he will produce. I don't think if Rendon is healthy that will likely translate to on field success. 

I guess we will all just wait and see.

I think this thread is out of control with Angels doing squat and nothing to talk about. 

While I didn't think we'd keep Ohtani, I thought we'd reinvest in guys like Sonny Gray or Hicks and we are now a collective frustrated fan base. 

Rendon has not had an extended opportunity to get into a groove before encountering his next injury. It’s been a tragic run since 2021. But you’ve got to be fair and understand that a baseball player does not simply immediately return to his former self after hip and wrist surgeries. I’ll point to preseason 2023, when he appeared to be at full health, even though most of you will probably laugh at me. 

15 G

41 PA

.500/.561/.806

If only he could have an extended period of health to quiet some of you loudmouths. 

4 minutes ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

Rendon has not had an extended opportunity to get into a groove before encountering his next injury. It’s been a tragic run since 2021. But you’ve got to be fair and understand that a baseball player does not simply immediately return to his former self after hip and wrist surgeries. I’ll point to preseason 2023, when he appeared to be at full health, even though most of you will probably laugh at me. 

15 G

41 PA

.500/.561/.806

If only he could have an extended period of health to quiet some of you loudmouths. 

I'd like nothing better. 

So if he has an extended period of health and still sucks what will you think?

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'd like nothing better. 

So if he has an extended period of health and still sucks what will you think?

If he has an extended run of health and doesn’t produce I’m sure I’ll conclude he’s starting to lose (or if it’s bad enough even lost) some of his natural abilities 

1 hour ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

15 G

41 PA

.500/.561/.806

Lol @ Spring Training numbers

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

For those optimistic about Rendon, if he were on another team with the same salary would you be advocating angels to have interest in him? Would you be excited if they claimed him? 

Why are you so desperate for other people to shit on the guy?

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Why are you so desperate for other people to shit on the guy?

I'm not. I'm genuinely bewildered how some are optimistic and defensive about him. 

If someone thought Votto was going have a great year I'd be equally confused, and Votto has had more recent success than Rendon. 

51 minutes ago, Stradling said:

K, He got hurt last year around May 15th, missed two weeks with that injury.  At that point, 30 games he had a .415 OBP on the season to go along with a .784 OPS.  Then he got injured. 

.784 OPS over 30 games is cute for a guy being paid superstar money.

17 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm not. I'm genuinely bewildered how some are optimistic and defensive about him. 

If someone thought Votto was going have a great year I'd be equally confused, and Votto has had more recent success than Rendon. 

Not all of us choose to be miserable about everything related to our favorite sports team

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Really?  Bewildered?  Someone points to actual reasons that argue he hasn't lost it, you ignore it completely and then claim to be bewildered why anyone would be "optimistic" -thats Warden Norton level deliberately obtuse or just flat out gaslighting. 

Also, there's a difference between being optimistic he can be a good hitter if healthy and being optimistic he will be healthy.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

K, He got hurt last year around May 15th, missed two weeks with that injury.  At that point, 30 games he had a .415 OBP on the season to go along with a .784 OPS.  Then he got injured. 

The .369 SLG% while healthy through mid-May is a huge concern.

That piggy backed the .380 SLG% in 2021-22.

Seems that he has little power since 2021.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I enjoyed it. Not sure if the reason is that I'm a Christian but it was pretty positive overall. I'd hope that Jack would discuss the elephant in the room, all the negativity regarding Rendon's attitude but I guess that was tabled before the interview. However, it taught me some things about Rendon. I knew nothing of his faith or the nonprofit organization. He said that team camaraderie is important so I hope that's there on the team. I was surprised that he said that he wasn''t surprised that Ohtani left but I guess I shouldn't be. Ultimately, he says he's healthy and ready for 2024. That's all anyone can hope for.

21 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Really?  Bewildered?  Someone points to actual reasons that argue he hasn't lost it, you ignore it completely and then claim to be bewildered why anyone would be "optimistic" -thats Warden Norton level deliberately obtuse or just flat out gaslighting. 

Also, there's a difference between being optimistic he can be a good hitter if healthy and being optimistic he will be healthy.

ANY player who hasn't been productive in 3 years, even if due to various injuries, I'm not optimistic about. Mike Trout and Brian Buxton are two guys with lots of injuries I have some optimism about because they have still found success in the midst of injury concerns.  

You've pointed out data regarding Rendon and fastballs. I don't find it convincing.  I believe you also used data last offseason to lecture me why Drury wasn't going to be good. (It might have been someone else) 

At this point I'd suggest ending the conversation and near the end of next season one camp admits they were wrong. I truly hope it's me. 

56 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I enjoyed it. Not sure if the reason is that I'm a Christian but it was pretty positive overall. I'd hope that Jack would discuss the elephant in the room, all the negativity regarding Rendon's attitude but I guess that was tabled before the interview. However, it taught me some things about Rendon. I knew nothing of his faith or the nonprofit organization. He said that team camaraderie is important so I hope that's there on the team. I was surprised that he said that he wasn''t surprised that Ohtani left but I guess I shouldn't be. Ultimately, he says he's healthy and ready for 2024. That's all anyone can hope for.

All smart rich people create a nonprofit for tax purposes.

On 1/13/2024 at 6:51 PM, Erstad Grit said:

ANY player who hasn't been productive in 3 years, even if due to various injuries, I'm not optimistic about. Mike Trout and Brian Buxton are two guys with lots of injuries I have some optimism about because they have still found success in the midst of injury concerns.  

No I get it -- you don't have any clue how predictive data works and are mired in the 80s way of player evaluation.  I have zero interest in changing your view, I am however sorry I wasted this much time trying to explain to what mine was based on.  

You've pointed out data regarding Rendon and fastballs. I don't find it convincing. 

Thats one of the things I've pointed to, walk rate, exit velocity, chase rates, not that any of it was going to make a dent with you, but teams all across MLB are using that data to make smart decisions and avoid landmines.  It's not about stats, even before the advent of the stuff teams look at now, the ability to see and hit a FB has always been key. No different than a pitcher being able to create their own outs. To pretend otherwise is well, stupid.

I believe you also used data last offseason to lecture me why Drury wasn't going to be good. (It might have been someone else) 

Someone else, but I agreed with them that his track record left a lot to be desired.  Here's a post of mine regarding Drury 

I did however congratulate you on them signing someone you wanted and FTR, my preference was for someone who could play SS. 

I viewed Drury as a being a bit redundant because of Rengifo (who I have always been high on because of all those stats you don't find convincing), also because Drury had been a poor defender at 3B. But in the thread linked above and prior to his being signed, you'll see that I made mention of how well he'd done in his most recent 600 PAs. 

Rest assured, I will never waste any time voicing a reasoned opinion with you again for fear that you may feel you're being "lectured" to. Not only that, why waste time on someone who ignores everything you say or finds a non-ignorant opinion to be "bewildering". Perhaps I should have typed a bit slower.

BTW, since you seemingly want to keep score -- remember our conversations about MadBum?  Maybe that's where your lingering butt-hurt is coming from.  

At this point I'd suggest ending the conversation and near the end of next season one camp admits they were wrong. I truly hope it's me. 

LOL..  Take your ball and go home but then pretend you're taking the high road -- spare me.

I really don't care who is right or wrong, I'll leave that petty BS to you, it seems to be really important to you.  What I know is that the basis for my believing he's capable of being a solid hitter if healthy is built on something real and not just hopes, wishes, and fee-fees.