• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Minor League Stats, Scouting, Updates, and Reports Thread

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yep, it's both, really.  Just a barren wasteland.

They could legitimately cut the entire AAA position player pool, go sign 6th year FAs next year and still possibly improve.  At AA they could get rid of everyone in their age 23 season or older and not be any worse off for it

9 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I don’t know…wasn’t Taylor Lindsey our top bat prospect some years ago?

Yes, and those teams had better depth than there currently is in AA..  CJ Cron, Randall Grichuk, Kole Calhoun, Grant Green, were in AA AAA, and breaking into the majors at the time.  

It really is that bad above A ball position player wise.

The Arizona Fall League rosters supposedly get announced in the next couple weeks.

Here's a list of potential candidates, imo:

Currently injured guys who could possibly use more reps/innings, if healthy: Christian Moore, George Klassen, Matthew Lugo, Cole Fontenelle, Nick Jones, Sam Bachman, Walbert Urena.

Healthy guys that could use more reps/innings: Ryan Costieu, David Calabrese, Alberto Rios, Kyren Paris.

Guys they might want to see more of to get a better evaluation on: Randy De Jesus, Yeferson Vargas, Victor Mederos, and any R5 eligible relievers.

If I had to guess the 7 guys picked: Matthew Lugo, Ryan Costieu, David Calabrese, Alberto Rios, Yeferson Vargas, Carlos Espinosa, and Nick Mondak.

If they do get the 1st or 2nd pick, DO NOT draft an under slot player in order to draft a HS pitcher in the 11th round for a $2 million bonus.  They already accomplished enough with Dana, Kent, and Gregory-Alford.

Need offense that early while having the chance, as well as early in the 2nd round.

Thst early pick HAS to be on one of the top 2 projected picks.   Can not be cute when drafting that early.

Edited by Angel Oracle

9 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I feel like they need to target some real power bats in next year's draft. Besides Moore, the talent drops off at the position players and power potential . They need to grab some guys with good power projection and hopefully get some good pitching development next year to. Need someone to take Dana's spot.  

Power is a nice bonus, just get hitters that actually know how to hit and don't have contact issues or are allergic to walks.

14 hours ago, BTH said:

I think they need to start trading for some bats.

Part of the idea behind drafting so many pitchers was that everyone needs pitchers and pitchers are always valuable. Yet they haven’t moved any for a controllable bat.

I think it’ll happen in due time. The pitching depth is building on the farm, but it still isn’t quite “ready” and as always said, can never have enough pitching. The MLB team’s lineup is fairly set for 2025-2026, barring of course injury which will happen.

2025: O’Hoppe, Schanuel, Rengifo, Neto, Rendon, Ward, Trout, Moniak/Adell, with Moore to factor in somewhere. 

Rengifo hits FA end of 2025.

2026: O’Hoppe, Schanuel, Moore, Neto, Rendon, Ward, Trout, Moniak/Adell

After 2026, Ward and Rendon hit FA, so it’s currently looking like…

2027: O’Hoppe, Schanuel, Moore, Neto, 3B, potentially Moniak, Trout, Adell

Obviously, all of that will go out the window once injuries start, once Ward/Rengifo are traded, once Rendon likely gets DFAed, but they also have time to draft a young hitter, try to develop guys who have some everyday potential in Fontenelle, Rada, Flint, Mershon (all of whom I think are actually better suited for bench roles, but that’s also important), and also play in FA. By late 2026 we could start to see the current IE international wave start to be on the fringes of MLB depth too - De Jesus, Scull, Castillo, Placencia, Guzman, Ortiz, Laverde, Flores, maybe Lugo.

I’d rather they keep focusing on pitching as much as possible. I really think he’s following what the Braves did. They had a ridiculous amount of pitching depth a few years back, and eventually those guys start reaching R5 eligibility or out of options or get buried on depth charts, and that’s when you can make a 1:1 arm for bat deal, or maybe even get a quantity over quality deal for a solid young bat too. 

We need to get to a point where we have about 8-10 starters who were comfortable with, and probably around 15-20 relievers. Not all on 40-man, not all necessarily MLB-ready, but close enough that you can do what we’ve done with Kochanowicz and Aldegheri this year and not feel like you’re playing with fire with their development. 

18 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Rocket City's season ends tomorrow. Assuming he's healthy (and he sure seems to be), I'd love to see him with the Angels the next couple weeks. Release Lopez and get him up here ASAP. 

Why is Lopez even here?

Seems like a dirty peanut, with a .643 career minor league OPS???

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 9/13/2024 at 5:31 AM, Inside Pitch said:

Power is a nice bonus, just get hitters that actually know how to hit and don't have contact issues or are allergic to walks.

I agree, for me there are really two main approaches. In the first 2 to 3 rounds, it's smart to take the best available player, whether that's a pitcher or hitter. After that, you can start targeting players with 55/60 power potential but questionable hit tools, or go the opposite direction with guys who have solid hit tools but less power potential. It all depends on how you want to balance your roster pertaiing to hitters. 

On 9/13/2024 at 8:18 AM, totdprods said:

I think it’ll happen in due time. The pitching depth is building on the farm, but it still isn’t quite “ready” and as always said, can never have enough pitching. The MLB team’s lineup is fairly set for 2025-2026, barring of course injury which will happen.

2025: O’Hoppe, Schanuel, Rengifo, Neto, Rendon, Ward, Trout, Moniak/Adell, with Moore to factor in somewhere. 

Rengifo hits FA end of 2025.

2026: O’Hoppe, Schanuel, Moore, Neto, Rendon, Ward, Trout, Moniak/Adell

After 2026, Ward and Rendon hit FA, so it’s currently looking like…

2027: O’Hoppe, Schanuel, Moore, Neto, 3B, potentially Moniak, Trout, Adell

Obviously, all of that will go out the window once injuries start, once Ward/Rengifo are traded, once Rendon likely gets DFAed, but they also have time to draft a young hitter, try to develop guys who have some everyday potential in Fontenelle, Rada, Flint, Mershon (all of whom I think are actually better suited for bench roles, but that’s also important), and also play in FA. By late 2026 we could start to see the current IE international wave start to be on the fringes of MLB depth too - De Jesus, Scull, Castillo, Placencia, Guzman, Ortiz, Laverde, Flores, maybe Lugo.

I’d rather they keep focusing on pitching as much as possible. I really think he’s following what the Braves did. They had a ridiculous amount of pitching depth a few years back, and eventually those guys start reaching R5 eligibility or out of options or get buried on depth charts, and that’s when you can make a 1:1 arm for bat deal, or maybe even get a quantity over quality deal for a solid young bat too. 

We need to get to a point where we have about 8-10 starters who were comfortable with, and probably around 15-20 relievers. Not all on 40-man, not all necessarily MLB-ready, but close enough that you can do what we’ve done with Kochanowicz and Aldegheri this year and not feel like you’re playing with fire with their development. 

Ideally, you'd want a few of the guys still in the minors to take that next big step, especially now that Dana, Aldegheri, and others have been called up or graduated. This would help fill their spots in the system and allow Parry to focus more on position players in next year's draft.

I see Klasson and Costieu on the rise and close to stepping in to replace those guys. I still believe in Klasson's stuff and think he'll be fine as a starter, and I believe Costieu has the tools to start as well. Now, we just need one or two more guys from this year’s class to break out.