• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Minor League Stats, Scouting, Updates, and Reports Thread

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Keep in mind, guys who have been at a level all season tend to have an edge on guys getting promotions. Its not uncommon to see teams bump guys up after the deadline and draft. Dana is a legit talent but people need to remember there are a lot of things that happen in the minors that can skew results.

At the same time you have to appreciate that Dana is holding up his end. He's making pitches and consistently getting deep into games. It's the end of August and he's averaging 6 innings a start. Since he's shown good command with his current arsenal I wonder if he's a candidate to tinker with the splinker going into next spring

Some Dana stats:

Leads all of MiLB in Ks (147) and WHIP (0.94).

2nd in innings pitched (135.2)

3rd in ERA (2.52)

Since July 1 over 51.2 innings:

1.78 ERA, 0.78 WHIP, 59/9 Ks/BBs

All at age 20 in AA

If that doesn’t scream top 50 prospects list, nothing does.

Edited by Angel Oracle

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Some Dana stats:

3rd in ERA (2.52)

All at age 20 in AA

put him on the dodgers or yankees and hes a top 25 prospect in mlb.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Some Dana stats:

3rd in ERA (2.52)

All at age 20 in AA

I think what @Inside Pitch has been trying to say, is to take a step back and not go overboard with Dana. Yes, his stats are very impressive and yes, his age is very impressive. But he pitched the whole year with lots of moving parts and different things that impact minor league players. This can have a positive or negative impact. 

Basically: His stats are great, but minor league stats aren't always the best way to judge a player no matter the age or level. He's a fucking great prospect. Definitely a lot of positive things to dream on. But he's still very young and has a ways to go. Just look at how we all nutted over Moore because pitchers had no idea how to pitch to him. Now they do. 

13 hours ago, arch stanton said:

At the same time you have to appreciate that Dana is holding up his end. He's making pitches and consistently getting deep into games. It's the end of August and he's averaging 6 innings a start. Since he's shown good command with his current arsenal I wonder if he's a candidate to tinker with the splinker going into next spring

He's, exceeded every expectation and I sincerely hope they shut him down soon. 

I once wrote an article for the Real Fans network at CBS Sportsline detailing innings shock, I looked at a 30 year sample of performance, innings increases and injuries.  The risk of injury was significantly higher the year AFTER the big jump in innings pitched.

Seriously he's done everything they could have asked of him.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Some Dana stats:

3rd in ERA (2.52)

All at age 20 in AA

I don't think I'm alone on this but I've not given a rats ass what his ERA has been.  He needs to continue to work on his command/control but there is something there.

He's another guy I'd shut down.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I once wrote an article for the Real Fans network at CBS Sportsline detailing innings shock, I looked at a 30 year sample of performance, innings increases and injuries.  The risk of injury was significantly higher the year AFTER the big jump in innings pitched.

Yeah I think he's shown he can pitch deep into games deep into the season. No need to push it. 

44 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Terry Collins and Tommy Lasorda disagree with you. 

I'd place Dana between Dollander and Horton. He's been better than those two, but it's still the same general range—somewhere in the 20 to 30 area. Hopefully, he'll move up in the next update and break into the top 30.

As for Moore, with his strong start, I expect him to make another significant jump. Kurt got promoted to AA and is ranked 45, so I see no reason why Moore shouldn't be in the 40 to 55 range. To me, he's a top 50 talent.

Klassan could easily sneak into the 90 to 100 range.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't think I'm alone on this but I've not given a rats ass what his ERA has been.  He needs to continue to work on his command/control but there is something there.

He's another guy I'd shut down.

I agree with shutting him down.

12 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Mean while Placnecia has brought his OBP over 340, but is hitting 206 in A+. he just can't make contact. 

Starting to look like a worse paris 2.0 

Have to remember the Tri-Cities pitching dominant environment.   He did put up a big OPS for the Sixers.  He did also K a lot there though.

Edited by Angel Oracle

51 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Terry Collins and Tommy Lasorda disagree with you. 

I'm reminded of the one time I coached a baseball team. It was a hippy school I taught at, about ten years ago, and we only played about six games a year. We had one really good player who hit bombs and could throw about 90. In our first game, he was mowing down the opposition -- giving up a few runs, but none earned (tons of errors) and we eeked out a handful of runs and were winning late into the game. By the 7th or 8th inning, his dad approached me and said, "Do you know he's up to about 150 pitches?" I thought, "Oops." I took him out and our reliever got shelled. I think we lost 8-6, or something like that.

back to why top 100 ranking sucks, this was from BA today...the so call podium of best pitcher, is ranked 92 on BA. 

"Dana belongs on the podium with the best pitchers in the minor leagues this season. The righthander, who opened the year as the youngest pitcher in the Southern League, has been marvelous from Opening Day and all throughout the summer. He showed no signs this past week of letting up, spinning a pair of gems that brought his August numbers to a sparkling 2-0, 0.57 with 32 strikeouts against just 19 hits and seven walks over 31.1 innings and five starts. His 147 punchouts lead the SL, and the same goes for his average against (.184) and WHIP (0.94). (JN)

7 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

back to why top 100 ranking sucks, this was from BA today...the so call podium of best pitcher, is ranked 92 on BA. 

"Dana belongs on the podium with the best pitchers in the minor leagues this season. The righthander, who opened the year as the youngest pitcher in the Southern League, has been marvelous from Opening Day and all throughout the summer. He showed no signs this past week of letting up, spinning a pair of gems that brought his August numbers to a sparkling 2-0, 0.57 with 32 strikeouts against just 19 hits and seven walks over 31.1 innings and five starts. His 147 punchouts lead the SL, and the same goes for his average against (.184) and WHIP (0.94). (JN)

Why do you care so much about where he's ranked?  I truly don't understand this almost pathological need some folks have for outside validation.  I just want him to be good for us.  I don't give a shit how he's ranked relative to other teams' players. 

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Why do you care so much about where he's ranked?  I truly don't understand this almost pathological need some folks have for outside validation.  I just want him to be good for us.  I don't give a shit how he's ranked relative to other teams' players. 

why are you so hung up on my rankings and what i think about them? Then again, I shouldn’t be surprised coming from someone who lost it when I dared to compare Klassen to Garrett fricken Richard. Not Verlander, nor Kershaw, but to 8.3 War Garrett Richards.

But guess what? This thread is for discussing prospects, and rankings are a huge part , and sometimes it involves comparing other teams prospects. Even AngelWins and countless other sites have their own rankings, so don't lose your mind when you see them too.....

Y’all missed some epic discussions on pitcher abuse on the old AOL boards. IP and another guy knew this stuff way before anyone else that I knew of, and their insights were absolute game changers in understanding the game more deeply. They talked about things that were unheard of, and they were spot on accurate. 

2 hours ago, Tank said:

Y’all missed some epic discussions on pitcher abuse on the old AOL boards. IP and another guy knew this stuff way before anyone else that I knew of, and their insights were absolute game changers in understanding the game more deeply. They talked about things that were unheard of, and they were spot on accurate. 

It's funny to see how so much of what Joe and I talked/wrote about regarding pitcher usage has become gospel in MLB.  I wish we had the access to information we do now back then.

Joe is/was a gifted writer. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

It's funny to see how so much of what Joe and I talked/wrote about regarding pitcher usage has become gospel in MLB.  I wish we had the access to information we do now back then.

Joe is/was a gifted writer. 

Joe who?