• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Minor League Stats, Scouting, Updates, and Reports Thread

11 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

IMO, Nolan was unnecessarily rushed and to his development detriment.  He should have stayed in the minors to develop his pro game and power.  At the least, stayed there until AA season over and the roster expanded...to give him a good taste of the bigs for several weeks and a chance to win the job the following ST.   

Ok, show where it was detrimental to his development?  He came up last year, had a .400 OBP.  This year he came up, and has improved every month.  Do you think players that get to the show no longer stop developing?  

If he came up last year, struggled, then went down to the minors and then struggled, then yea, bringing him up early was detrimental to his development.  Or if the Jo Adell situation or Suarez situation, where you get to the point where they are AAAA players, but because you called them up early, they need to be on the active roster because they are out of options, then it was detrimental to their development.  Those things haven’t happened with Schanuel.  As for his power, he is only going to hit for power on mistake pitches on the inside part of the plate.  

10 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

The hesitation I have with going all in next year is Rendon. He’ll have 2 years left and I don’t think they’ll get rid of him.  On his last year, you can justify waiving him. He’s still taking up a ton of money to probably be an average hitter. Next year is the step forward year, and maybe the see which pitchers come into their own year. It’s the year you add a #3 pitcher on a 3 year deal to stabilize as you try out Dana Klassan Detmers Silseth Canning Daniel Koch and Soriano; not an ace. 

I can see them giving Rendon the Hamilton treatment by mid-2025, if this continues.

14 hours ago, ScottT said:

Wow.  I was watching. What a start.

Perry has made some questionable moves, but he may have filled (long term) C, 1B, 2B, and SS in two years?  Plus Joyce.

Mainly the downside has been the 2021 draft and last year’s trade deadline.

Otherwise, he apparently talked Moreno out of signing Trea Turner, a good thing, and has overseen improvement in the farm system.

He’s definitely better than Eppler, Dipoto, and Reagins were, albeit that’s not saying much.

Edited by Angel Oracle

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I would not be at all surprised if he doesn’t complete next year with the team. I wouldn’t be totally shocked if he doesn’t finish this year.  

Do you mean due to him getting injured again, or being cut?  I doubt they'd cut him this year at this point.  Seems like if they were seriously considering that, they would have already done it.

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Do you mean due to him getting injured again, or being cut?  I doubt they'd cut him this year at this point.  Seems like if they were seriously considering that, they would have already done it.

Cut him, retirement, who knows. Although my guess is either of those would more than likely be spring training decisions.  There isn’t much of a roster crunch right now.  Drury can be DFA’d they can move Rengifo to the 60 day to bring up someone else.  They already have Stefanic, Paris and Guillorme that can play the infield along with Moore inevitably being called up.  

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Cut him, retirement, who knows. Although my guess is either of those would more than likely be spring training decisions.  There isn’t much of a roster crunch right now.  Drury can be DFA’d they can move Rengifo to the 60 day to bring up someone else.  They already have Stefanic, Paris and Guillorme that can play the infield along with Moore inevitably being called up.  

Yeah...I still think it's more likely that Drury gets the heave-ho out of that whole bunch, but who knows?  Clearly, he shouldn't be getting playing time.  12 for 93 with zero extra base hits since he came off the IL.  In an absolute worst-case scenario, Moore will do better than that.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Ok, show where it was detrimental to his development?  He came up last year, had a .400 OBP.  This year he came up, and has improved every month.  Do you think players that get to the show no longer stop developing?  

If he came up last year, struggled, then went down to the minors and then struggled, then yea, bringing him up early was detrimental to his development.  Or if the Jo Adell situation or Suarez situation, where you get to the point where they are AAAA players, but because you called them up early, they need to be on the active roster because they are out of options, then it was detrimental to their development.  Those things haven’t happened with Schanuel.  As for his power, he is only going to hit for power on mistake pitches on the inside part of the plate.  

lol, it's like you are on auto-response with any post that questions the Angels.  So, so predictable.  

BTW, i said nothing about any other players such as Adell.  Not sure why you brought that up.  

I'm talking about Nolan.  If you are happy with his Angels development, then i'm happy for you.  For me, this one player (again IMO) could have benefitted a few months in the minors.  Dude had a 330 SLG over 109 ABs.  He has 330 now.  That's not acceptable as a 1B imo.  But hey, I guess i'm on an island alone in this thinking based on your response.  Sure the guy slugged 868 his last year in college (576 & 658 as freshman and soph, respectfully) -- but lets ignore that for your purposes.

On a positive note, he's showing he's a decent league average player (OPS 99+ in 2024 and 100 combined career).  I personally want more out of 1B (esp. for his draft status and what he was in college), but that's me.  Hopefully more is coming in future years.  But at least he's a cheap player slotted in.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah...I still think it's more likely that Drury gets the heave-ho out of that whole bunch, but who knows?  Clearly, he shouldn't be getting playing time.  12 for 93 with zero extra base hits since he came off the IL.  In an absolute worst-case scenario, Moore will do better than that.

Yea, I don’t think Drury is going to last the month and I wouldn’t be totally shocked if he doesn’t last the road trip.  If Rengifo was healthy he would be gone now.  

Just now, Angels in 2030 said:

lol, it's you are on auto-response with any post that questions the Angels.  So, so predictable.  

BTW, i said nothing about any other players such as Adell.  Not sure why you brought that up.  

I'm talking about Nolan.  If you are happy with his Angels development, then i'm happy for you.  For me, this one player (again IMO) could have benefitted a few months in the minors.  Dude had a 330 SLG over 109 ABs.  He has 330 now.  That's not acceptable as a 1B imo.  But hey, I guess i'm on an island alone in this thinking based on your response.  Sure the guy slugged 868 his last year in college (576 & 658 as freshman and soph, respectfully) -- but lets ignore that for your purposes.

On a positive note, he's showing he's a decent league average player (OPS 99+ in 2024 and 100 combined career).  I personally want more out of 1B (esp. for his draft status and what he was in college), but that's me.  Hopefully more is coming in future years.  But at least he's a cheap player slotted in.

By auto response you mean, you quoted me, so I replied, then yes.  I mentioned Adell as an example of poor development, so feel free to STFU about “questioning the Angels”.  But if Schanuel came up last year, was league average offensively then has been improving every month this year, then I truly don’t see how you can say what they are doing is detrimental to his development.  Again, show me where what they are doing isn’t working with Schanuel, show me where he is regressing.  His OPS for his position is right at league average for a 1st baseman this year.  You want him to develop his power at the minor league level, but I highly doubt he will ever be a power hitter.  

You quoting me, then getting butt-hurt that I replied back to you is so so predictable.  

6 hours ago, Angels in 2030 said:

IMO, Nolan was unnecessarily rushed and to his development detriment.  He should have stayed in the minors to develop his pro game and power.  At the least, stayed there until AA season over and the roster expanded...to give him a good taste of the bigs for several weeks and a chance to win the job the following ST.   

There's no evidence that spending more time in the minors is going to "develop his power."

He's just not a power kind of hitter. I have come to accept that and I look forward to him fully developing his skills such as they are.

Don't see how running up a bunch of AAA stats are going to do much at all.

I like to call this "Bobby Clark Syndrome." Lotsa big minor league numbers but not much in the Majors.

~ArkyAngelsFan~

45 minutes ago, ArkyAngelsFan said:

There's no evidence that spending more time in the minors is going to "develop his power."

He's just not a power kind of hitter. I have come to accept that and I look forward to him fully developing his skills such as they are.

Don't see how running up a bunch of AAA stats are going to do much at all.

I like to call this "Bobby Clark Syndrome." Lotsa big minor league numbers but not much in the Majors.

~ArkyAngelsFan~

Yet a 'Power hitter' is exactly what he was in college and his draft profile.  It's not simply HRs -- he's basically a singles hitter now with a lack of speed to boot.  Throwing him into the Trout/Shohei team that was trying to make the playoffs didn't seem like a smart move.  seemed desperate.  But it's water under the bridge.  We'll never know if time at AA would have helped or not.  Hoping for the best for the kid and some XTHs develop long the way and he can get to a respectable SLG one day.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Imagine engaging someone and then getting upset they responded. 

lol, sure guy.  Keep playing the "upset" card.  I'm laughing at you.  But if it makes you feel bigger, go ahead and keep trying to play that same card with me each & every time.  It doesn't bother me -- just shows your colors.  

BTW, i didn't even realize it was you -- I simply was mentioning him and the fact that "imo" I thought he needed more time.  I wasn't expecting a conversation with you.  If i noticed it was you, i'd have simple posted rather than quoted -- my error.

@Angels in 2030, look at it this way: the main difference between Schanuel being called up when he was instead of, say, earlier this year, is that we got to (or had to) go through his development to adequacy in the majors rather than the minors.

The proof is in the pudding: he's been very good the last two months and great the last month. He's improved very month this year, so it worked. Yeah, we had to suffer through a couple bad months at the beginning of the year, but he worked himself out of that. He gained confidence and went back to his tried and true approach, and the results are very good. 

If you switch out two or three months of his major league career for minor league development, he'd probably have broken in more smoothly. But given that the Angels haven't been contending, to some extent it doesn't really matter except to his year-end triple slash numbers which will be worse than if he had been called up in, say, May.

In other words, by year's end we'll probably get something like .270/.360/.400 with 15 HR in 150 games rather than maybe .280/.390/.420 with 10 HR in 100 games. The latter looks sexier, but the former has the same season, but adds a couple months of struggle as he adjusted. Again, the end result is all that counts. If was still struggling and/or sent back to AAA, your argument would be correct. But he's thriving, so...

p.s. What you're saying most definitely applies to Jo Adell, whose mishandling really goes back even before 2020. He was doing so well and jumping up the levels that the Angels seemed to think he'd just naturally develop. But the problem was that he was running on pure athleticism and not really developing the skills he needed to, which got exposed in the majors in a big way. The 2020 call-up wasn't an inherently bad idea; they wanted him to get playing time, and with the lost minor league season, they risked it. But I think the damage was already done before then: they should have been working with him on pitch recognition, discipline, and defense, rather than just letting him swing away on every pitch. We can only imagine where he might be now if they had developed him differently.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Here's his season broken up into sections:

Through April 27: .211/.307/.250, 1 HR, 64 wRC+ in 89 PA (10.1 BB%, 19.1 K%)

April 28 - June 11: .205/.255/.371, 6 HR, 71 wRC+ in 146 PA (5.5 BB%, 17.8 K%)

June 12 - August 7: .301/.421/.422, 4 HR, 144 wRC+ in 204 PA (15.7 BB%, 14.2 K%)

That doesn't include today's game in which he's 2-3 so far with an HR.

Look at the BB/K rates. How I interpret this is that he was really struggling at first, making weak contact with no power. Then he started changing his approach, hit a few home runs, but his plate approach got worse; his SLG rose substantially but his OBP plummeted. 

I'm not sure what happened, but something happened in mid-June. He went back to his natural approach, and while he hit fewer HR, he started making better contact, taking walks, and striking out less. That's the guy the Angels drafted and what we saw hints of last year. 

If he can hit like he's been hitting the last two months for a full season, I honestly don't care if he only hits 10-15 HR a year. A .300 hitter with a .420 OBP who walks a bunch and strikes out less? I'll take a dozen, please. He's been a stud, just in a way that is no longer in vogue. But he's been doing it for 200 PA now, and I don't see a reason he'll go back. This is who he is, and who knows, maybe he'll develop a bit more pop, but hopefully only if it naturally arises out of his excellent approach.

Edited by Angelsjunky

29 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

@Angels in 2030, look at it this way: the main difference between Schanuel being called up when he was instead of, say, earlier this year, is that we got to (or had to) go through his development to adequacy in the majors rather than the minors.

The proof is in the pudding: he's been very good the last two months and great the last month. He's improved very month this year, so it worked. Yeah, we had to suffer through a couple bad months at the beginning of the year, but he worked himself out of that. He gained confidence and went back to his tried and true approach, and the results are very good. 

If you switch out two or three months of his major league career for minor league development, he'd probably have broken in more smoothly. But given that the Angels haven't been contending, to some extent it doesn't really matter except to his year-end triple slash numbers which will be worse than if he had been called up in, say, May.

In other words, by year's end we'll probably get something like .270/.360/.400 with 15 HR in 150 games rather than maybe .280/.390/.420 with 10 HR in 100 games. The latter looks sexier, but the former has the same season, but adds a couple months of struggle as he adjusted. Again, the end result is all that counts. If was still struggling and/or sent back to AAA, your argument would be correct. But he's thriving, so...

p.s. What you're saying most definitely applies to Jo Adell, whose mishandling really goes back even before 2020. He was doing so well and jumping up the levels that the Angels seemed to think he'd just naturally develop. But the problem was that he was running on pure athleticism and not really developing the skills he needed to, which got exposed in the majors in a big way. The 2020 call-up wasn't an inherently bad idea; they wanted him to get playing time, and with the lost minor league season, they risked it. But I think the damage was already done before then: they should have been working with him on pitch recognition, discipline, and defense, rather than just letting him swing away on every pitch. We can only imagine where he might be now if they had developed him differently.

Understood.  Although that could apply the same if they simply gave him an extra couple months instead of throwing him into a desperate playoff chase.  But yeah, maybe it works out best for him.  

thing is, nobody else is doing this like them with their prospects.   Maybe the Angel are onto something. But more likely the Rays, Indian, LADs, etc traditional route is better.  Not sure I’d put my money on Artes Angels over others.  

24 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Understood.  Although that could apply the same if they simply gave him an extra couple months instead of throwing him into a desperate playoff chase.  But yeah, maybe it works out best for him.  

thing is, nobody else is doing this like them with their prospects.   Maybe the Angel are onto something. But more likely the Rays, Indian, LADs, etc traditional route is better.  Not sure I’d put my money on Artes Angels over others.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Perry--if he stays GM--changes to a more Rays-esque approach in a few years. He's trying to restock the team's talent in a way as quickly as possible. In a way, there's a brilliance to how he's drafted the last few years - at least the first pick (Neto, Schanuel, Moore). He's going after guys with both high floors and solidly high ceilings. Bachman remains to be seen, but the verdict looks good for Neto and Schanuel, and Moore obviously looks promising. If all three become 3+ WAR guys, I'd call that a success. If one or two become stars, it is hugely successful.

In other words, he's sort of taking a similar approach to Dipoto's two first rounders and Eppler's first (Newcomb, Ward, Thaiss) but with a lot more success. Eppler switched to high upside guys for a bit (Adell, Adams) then went back to college guys (Wilson, Detmers), and neither has produced anything more than borderline regulars (though there's still hope for Adell and Detmers).

To put that another way, Minasian's four first picks look better than all of Dipoto's and Eppler's seven combined. He's got at least one more top 8 pick next year, too, though the Angels have been playing above .500 for something like 50 games now, so are in danger of not tanking properly. Thank god the White Sox and Athletics aren't eligible for better than #10. https://www.tankathon.com/mlb

Edited by Angelsjunky

He kind of reminds me a bit of a good Sandoval. His slider and changeup are really good, and personally, I think his stuff is plus—not because it's overpowering, but because he mixes everything so well. Like Sandoval, his command can be inconsistent, coming and going at times. The biggest difference for me is that I think Aldegheri’s fastball is much better than Sandoval’s