• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Minor League Stats, Scouting, Updates, and Reports Thread

13 minutes ago, Second Base said:

He’s got a couple of years to refine his approach, but he’d simply be a non-entity in AA without progression. He’s got the tools but not the approach, not yet, at least.

For sure, but what he and De Jesus have done have been more encouraging to me than what we’ve seen from international signees the last decade. It feels like these guys are developing a little more well-rounded and a little more appropriate to their skill sets than prior classes. 

Prior to this, it felt like we’d grab these ultra toolsy guys who were kind of one-note tool-wise and they’d display that one note (power, speed, discipline, etc.) in lower-levels very well and then totally hit a wall once they hit A+/AA. 

The De Jesus, Scull, Castillo, Ortiz, Flores class, and even recent draftees like Redfield and Flint, seem like they’re a little more well-rounded. They aren’t just hitting for power. They aren’t just stealing bases. They aren’t just drawing walks. 

No power still, but Nelson Rada‘s been hitting increasingly well over the last month or so…

Since 6/13: .268/.372/.309/.681, 12 BB to 24 K in 114 PA

Since 6/25: .292/.378/.339/.717, 8 BB to 15 K in 75 PA

In July: .342/.438/.415/.852, 6 BB to 9 K in 49 PA

Edited by totdprods

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

No power still, but Nelson Rada‘s been hitting increasingly well over the last month or so…

Since 6/13: .268/.372/.309/.681, 12 BB to 24 K in 114 PA

Since 6/25: .292/.378/.339/.717, 8 BB to 15 K in 75 PA

In July: .342/.438/.415/.852, 6 BB to 9 K in 49 PA

While still only 18 in AA

Important thing is, he can turn singles into doubles via SBs.

The ideal lead off guy 

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

While still only 18 in AA

Yup! If he can keep progressing and get his OPS up near .650 by end of the year, think it would be safe to say that would be a pretty successful season for a teenager in AA. Also hasn’t made an error, and 25 out of 33 in SB attempts. 

Hoping maybe a .250/.350/.300/.650 type line by end of the year and if you don’t look at the slugging, that’s a good BA and OBP all things considered. 

25 minutes ago, BTH said:

I’m glad they moved Rada to the bottom of the lineup recently to take some pressure of him.

Definitely seems to have helped him a ton. Maybe he was trying too hard to draw walks and work counts and it was making it easier for opposing pitchers to get ahead and put him away.

See a bit of Steven Kwan there, both small dudes (5’8”ish) except when Kwan was 18 he was putting up a .570 OPS off the bench at Oregon State. Now he’s an All-Star hitting .354.

30 minutes ago, BTH said:

I’m glad they moved Rada to the bottom of the lineup recently to take some pressure of him.

This is literally what Washington has been doing with Neto and O’Hoppe as they develop yet your feelings are considerably different in their cases. 

Rada, in the month of July has been hitting .341 with a 438 OBP and 9k. If he was showing a bit more power, I think his numbers would have been looking much better, but it's been a wierd year, does not seem like he's been over-matched, just has been getting the hits, before July. Will see how he finish the year.  

I still think Redfield is an interesting prospect to watch. He's shown a good eye at the plate, managing a strikeout rate between 15% and 18% in his minor league career. While he's projected to be a fourth outfielder type, he's definitely someone to keep an eye on.

It was unfortunate that Fontenelle got hurt, as he was demonstrating a solid blend of power, plate discipline, and speed. If he hadn't gotten injured, I believe he would have had a really solid year. In 22 games, he was hitting .278 with a .404 OBP, .417 slugging, and an .821 OPS, along with 12 stolen bases. His numbers in those 22 games were quite similar to Dalton Rushing's. If he had stayed healthy, I truly believe he would have put up similar numbers to Rushing.

Anyhow but happened to Rios? 

22 hours ago, Stradling said:

This is literally what Washington has been doing with Neto and O’Hoppe as they develop yet your feelings are considerably different in their cases. 

Are they?

I don’t recall being upset that Neto and O’Hoppe are hitting lower in the lineup. Maybe I was at the beginning of the season? I don’t remember. But I’m perfectly fine with it now and don’t recall having any sort of issue with it the last couple months at least.

24 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I still think Redfield is an interesting prospect to watch. He's shown a good eye at the plate, managing a strikeout rate between 15% and 18% in his minor league career. While he's projected to be a fourth outfielder type, he's definitely someone to keep an eye on.

Redfield has definitely put him back into solid prospect consideration, even if it’s just in the mold of another 4th OF. Does a little bit of everything. And as badly as we need the farm to produce everyday players, if we can get to a point where we’re churning out a couple decent 4th OFs and UT IFs every season or two it would go a long, long way to building a sustainable, deep, affordable club with a flexible roster. Rangers have done well with that last couple years.

Fontenelle and Tucker Flint remind me of guys like Kole Calhoun who never lit up prospect rankings but seem like they’re bound to make the bigs and put up a couple solid seasons.

27 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Anyhow but happened to Rios? 

I think I read it was a hand injury or something. But he just went on a rehab assignment in Arizona

15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Fontenelle and Tucker Flint remind me of guys like Kole Calhoun who never lit up prospect rankings but seem like they’re bound to make the bigs and put up a couple solid seasons.

Probably need to see how he recovers from his injury. Seemed to be pretty bad. Haven’t seen an update but I hope the prognosis is encouraging.

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Probably need to see how he recovers from his injury. Seemed to be pretty bad. Haven’t seen an update but I hope the prognosis is encouraging.

It’ll take a while but I think he’ll be alright. Even once Morales finally returned he was solid, though never quite what he could have been.

2 hours ago, FromJapan said:

Raidel Martínez is a closer for the Chunichi Dragons (NPB)  and his contract ends this season.
However, because he is from Cuba, he cannot easily transfer to the majors due to political issues..

Link: His stats (Baseball Reference)

Crazy good WHIP and Ks/BBs ratio since 2021, and crazy low HRs allowed since then

Still only 28 in 2025.

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 7/20/2024 at 10:44 AM, totdprods said:

Yup! If he can keep progressing and get his OPS up near .650 by end of the year, think it would be safe to say that would be a pretty successful season for a teenager in AA. Also hasn’t made an error, and 25 out of 33 in SB attempts. 

Hoping maybe a .250/.350/.300/.650 type line by end of the year and if you don’t look at the slugging, that’s a good BA and OBP all things considered. 

I think Mike should move to LF in a week when we trade Ward. Let Mickey play CF. 

You only need one of Jo and Mickey to become a productive player (1.8-2.0 WAR). Rada Trout and Moni-Dell are you near future outfield. Then again, Moore could take a corner OF spot in 2025-2026 and force a trade of those guys  

De Jesus could be ready when Mike becomes DH. Interesting is our OF crop was truly terrible a calendar year ago. Now we have possibly 5-6 guys that could—could—become regulars. 

38 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I think Mike should move to LF in a week when we trade Ward. Let Mickey play CF. 

You only need one of Jo and Mickey to become a productive player (1.8-2.0 WAR). Rada Trout and Moni-Dell are you near future outfield. Then again, Moore could take a corner OF spot in 2025-2026 and force a trade of those guys  

De Jesus could be ready when Mike becomes DH. Interesting is our OF crop was truly terrible a calendar year ago. Now we have possibly 5-6 guys that could—could—become regulars. 

I wouldn’t rule out Tucker Flint working into the equation too.

Honestly my hope for Adell and Moniak is that they finish this year well enough to have a season of stats not far from an average MLB, they work back to slightly above-average next year and we find ourselves able to shop one or both as we are discussing Ward and Rengifo now.

On 7/21/2024 at 10:15 PM, totdprods said:

I wouldn’t rule out Tucker Flint working into the equation too.

Honestly my hope for Adell and Moniak is that they finish this year well enough to have a season of stats not far from an average MLB, they work back to slightly above-average next year and we find ourselves able to shop one or both as we are discussing Ward and Rengifo now.

I like Flint also. Redfield has some potential as well. Add in the 2 HS OFs we just drafted and suddenly it's not as gloom. 

After his game winner tonight, I was thinking about it and I think Adell has trade value. I don't think Mickey does because offensively he doesn't do anything really well. He's been hitting the ball harder (almost all pull side by my eye) but little HR power, decent but not great speed, and he's absolutely unplayable against LHP. 

Adell, on the other hand, has elite power, elite speed, and has been (dun dun dun) walking more lately. In his last 13 games he has 6 BB, 9 Ks, 2 HR, and 9 RBI. 

Ironically, I'd rather trade Adell and keep Mickey, but that's just me. I think the return on him is a 25-26 year old former top pitching prospect that's had 1-2 decent seasons but never hit. A team like the Marlins, Reds, Rockies or Tigers would do well to take a chance on him. I know it won't happen but I do think the Angels COULD if they wanted to. 

10 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I like Flint also. Redfield has some potential as well. Add in the 2 HS OFs we just drafted and suddenly it's not as gloom. 

After his game winner tonight, I was thinking about it and I think Adell has trade value. I don't think Mickey does because offensively he doesn't do anything really well. He's been hitting the ball harder (almost all pull side by my eye) but little HR power, decent but not great speed, and he's absolutely unplayable against LHP. 

Adell, on the other hand, has elite power, elite speed, and has been (dun dun dun) walking more lately. In his last 13 games he has 6 BB, 9 Ks, 2 HR, and 9 RBI. 

Ironically, I'd rather trade Adell and keep Mickey, but that's just me. I think the return on him is a 25-26 year old former top pitching prospect that's had 1-2 decent seasons but never hit. A team like the Marlins, Reds, Rockies or Tigers would do well to take a chance on him. I know it won't happen but I do think the Angels COULD if they wanted to. 

I don’t think either are dealt, but do agree there’s enough with Adell that there likely could be interest and something viable.

Moniak, as of now, feels more like a sort of throw-in to help boost the return of a larger deal, or a sort of replacement to another team if they’re dealing an OF prospect back. I still think there’s enough optimism for Moniak to become a solid platoon/4th OF guy though. The speed and defense are there and offense  vs RHP has looked at least league average once he shook rust off once Trout went down.