• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Minor League Stats, Scouting, Updates, and Reports Thread

41 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Lets just go the Padres route and draft nothing but Shorstops for 3 years and see what happens 

They did that under Stoneman if you include international players..  They ended up with the number one farm system in MLB.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

They did that under Stoneman if you include international players..  They ended up with the number one farm system in MLB.

Ironically, no starting Shortstops were promoted to the major league level until Aybar in 2008. 

41 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

The Molina's were shortstops?

WTF do either of the Molinas have to do with what Stoneman did?

Both were in pro ball in 1993 when Stoneman was in Montreal, Jose with the Cubs.  The funny part is Bengie didn't start catching until the Angels scout that signed him went to check out Jose and his mom asked him to look at Bengie too. B Molina was an OF and pitcher growing up and was college SS at AWC Yuma where he actually went all conference.  The Angels had actually cut Molina only to have Stoneman bring him back.

But while neither of those two guys were drafted/signed as shortstops, Brandon Wood, Erick Aybar, Alexi Cassilla, Alexi Amarista, and Alberto Callaspo were.

I forgot Sean Rodriguez who was taken in the third round the year they took Brandon Wood was drafted.  May as well add the second position player he drafted as GM of the Halos too, Tommy Murphy.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Ironically, no starting Shortstops were promoted to the major league level until Aybar in 2008. 

They used most of them in trades.  Callaspo, Amarista, Cassilla were all moved.  Aybar had been moving back and forth between SS and 2B since 2006 I think. 

This is what made the Stone man farm system great, they had layers of guys.  Miss that sort of competence.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

WTF do either of the Molinas have to do with what Stoneman did?

Both were in pro ball in 1993 when Stoneman was in Montreal, Jose with the Cubs.  The funny part is Bengie didn't start catching until the Angels scout that signed him went to check out Jose and his mom asked him to look at Bengie too. B Molina was an OF and pitcher growing up and was college SS at AWC Yuma where he actually went all conference.  The Angels had actually cut Molina only to have Stoneman bring him back.

But while neither of those two guys were drafted/signed as shortstops, Brandon Wood, Erick Aybar, Alexi Cassilla, Alexi Amarista, and Alberto Callaspo were.

I forgot Sean Rodriguez who was taken in the third round the year they took Brandon Wood was drafted.  May as well add the second position player he drafted as GM of the Halos too, Tommy Murphy.

Was a joke.

For most of the Stoneman era, none of the starting shortstops were from the farm. The Angels had Benji Gill, David Eckstein and Orlando Cabrera before Aybar in 2008.  

Callaspo got Bulger in trade. Amarista got Frieri. Casillas got JC Romero. All relievers. Maybe Stoneman should have just drafted pitchers instead. 

Shrugs GIF

Just joking. 

Consider moving Placencia up to A+ sooner rather than later. Let him adjust to A+ pitching for about 30 games. If he performs well, move him to AA. Start him at AA next season.

At the movement my projections for him are Hit: 45 power: 55, The high strikeout rate is a concern and needs to be reduced, as he won't be a 30 home run hitter in the big leagues..

Overall his ceiling to be will be an above-average 2nd baseman, that will hit around 260, with good OBP and 15-20 hr potential. 

Grades: Hit 45 Power 55 Plate discipline 55 run 45 Field 55 

De Jesus is another player to watch. He deserves a late-season promotion to A+ to get his feet wet. Let him play 70 games in A, then 20-30 in A+, with plans to start him in A+ next year. Like Placencia, De Jesus has significant swing-and-miss issues, but he has the highest power potential in the system currently.

Grades: Hit 40 Power 55 -60 run 45 Filed 55

David Calabrese is another young prospect who has been hurt by rapid promotion, jumping from A straight to AA. I believe spending time in A+ is really important for his development. At only 21, he should be placed in A+, similar to Rada.

9 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I believe that the Molina brother that we released and brought back was Jose, not Benji.

You believe incorrectly. 

Jose was released by the Cubs, November 27, 2000.  The Angels signed him January 15, 2001.

He hadn't been a part of the Angels prior to that.

13 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I believe that the Molina brother that we released and brought back was Jose, not Benji.

you're thinking of Maldonado maybe? Was an Angel catcher in the minors, released, signed by MIL and then we traded for him.

14 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Beginning to think that the difference between a good system and a crappy one might be 4 or 5  decent prospects.

Pretty much, and I also thing but has hurt the system has been the fast promotions. 

I do think the fast promotions have hurt the system more so than helped the system. For example, if Rada had started in A+ instead of Double-A and done well, he could have cracked a few top 100 lists. Schanuel, who was already in the top 100, could have started in the minors and then moved up. Dana finally made it to a few top 100 lists. With these adjustments, we could have had at least three top 100 prospects and drawn more attention from evaluators to our system.

I also think there's a bias in the evaluations. Our system isn't considered a main focus by top evaluators. They might watch a few games at most and base their evaluations on that limited view. At the being of the system, I've read so much mis-information just regarding Dana. I still remember one of the reports grade his fastball at lows 90s, when he basically has been in the mid 90s, past year and this year. 

Honesty if I were to divide our young players in a tier system it would this;

1. Tier !: potential All-starts

1. Dana

2. Rada 

2. Tier 2: Above-Average players 

1. Fontenelle

2. Kent

3. Tier 3: the Average player

1. Adrien P

2. De Jesus 

3.  Paris 

4. mederos 

Hans Crouse has gotta be close to being the next arm they call up. Former Top 100 prospect, about to turn 26, 6’4” RHP converted to relief. In his last 11.1 IP for the Bees he has walked 3 and struck out 25. Ridiculous 28% swinging strike percentage.

On the season, 21.1 IP, 18 hits allowed, 7 BB, 37 K, 2.95 ERA.

Also, Tayron Guerrero, another minor league signing with high octane stuff but long had major control issues so far has zero walks to 11 K in 9 IP.

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Hans Crouse has gotta be close to being the next arm they call up. Former Top 100 prospect, about to turn 26, 6’4” RHP converted to relief. In his last 11.1 IP for the Bees he has walked 3 and struck out 25. Ridiculous 28% swinging strike percentage.

On the season, 21.1 IP, 18 hits allowed, 7 BB, 37 K, 2.95 ERA.

Also, Tayron Guerrero, another minor league signing with high octane stuff but long had major control issues so far has zero walks to 11 K in 9 IP.

I'm guessing those two plus Darrell-Hicks will come up at some point this season after Strickland, Moore, Estevez, Garcia, Cimber are all gone. 

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

I'm guessing those two plus Darrell-Hicks will come up at some point this season after Strickland, Moore, Estevez, Garcia, Cimber are all gone. 

Just insane numbers from Crouse and Darrell-Hicks.

The BB:K ratio for a ton of minor league pitchers is extremely impressive. Gives me some hope that there is some sort of organizational philosophy taking root somewhere.

MLB average BB9 this year is 3.1 (2.9 SP, 3.4 RP). The K to BB ratio average is 2.8.

• Davis Daniel (AAA): 62.2 IP, 20 BB, 69 K, 2.9 BB9, 9.9 K9, 3.45 K/BB.
  • Hans Crouse (AAA): 21.1 IP, 7 BB, 37 K, 3.0 BB9, 15.6 K9, 5.29 K/BB
  • Ryan Miller (AAA): 31 IP, 7 BB, 28 K, 2.0 BB9, 8.1 K9, 4.00 K/BB
  • Brett Kerry (AA/AAA): 60.2 IP, 16 BB, 55 K, 2.4 BB9, 8.2 K9, 3.44 K/BB
  • Nick Jones (AA): 22.2 IP, 1 BB, 29 K, 0.4 BB9, 11.5 K9, 29 K/BB
  • Michael Darrell-Hicks (AA): 28 IP, 4 BB, 31 K, 1.3 BB9, 10.0 K9, 7.75 K/BB (0.679 WHIP!)
  • Alan Rangel (AA): 20.2 IP, 5 BB, 25 K, 2.2 B9, 10.0 K9, 5 K/BB
  • Luke Murphy (AA): 15 IP, 4 BB, 19 K, 2.4 BB9, 11.4 K9, 4.75 K/BB
  • Ivan Armstrong (AA): 30.2 IP, 7 BB, 31 K, 2.1 BB9, 9.1 K9, 4.43 K/BB
  • Hayden Seig (AA): 28.1 IP, 7 BB, 28 K, 2.2 BB9, 8.9 K9, 4.0 K/BB
  • Caden Dana (AA): 63 IP, 19 BB, 63 K, 2.7 BB9, 9.0 K9, 3.32 K/BB
  • Ben Joyce (AA): 19 IP, 11 BB, 34 K, 5.2 BB9*, 16.1 K9, 3.09 K/BB
  • Jack Kochanowicz (AA): 57 IP, 16 BB, 46 K, 2.5 BB9, 7.3 K9, 2.88 K/BB
  • Dylan Phillips (A+): 18.1 IP, 5 BB, 23 K, 2.5 BB, 11.3 K9, 4.6 K/BB
  • Brady Choban (A+): 23.2 IP, 5 BB, 20 K, 1.9 BB9, 7.6 K9, 4.0 K/BB
  • William Suárez (A+): 22 IP, 9 BB, 33 K, 3.7 BB, 13.5 K9, 3.67 K/BB
  • Cam Minacci (A+): 21.2 IP, 8 BB, 26 K, 3.3 BB9, 10.8 K9, 3.25 K/BB
  • Christian Young (A): 32.1 IP, 5 BB, 39 K, 1.4 BB9, 10.9 K9, 7.8 K/BB
  • Jenrry Gonzalez (A): 26 IP, 10 BB, 32 K, 3.5 BB9, 11.1 K9, 3.2 K/BB
  • Barrett Kent (A): 58.1 IP, 24 BB, 68 K, 3.7 BB9, 10.5 K9, 2.83 K/BB

Strickland, Garcia, and Estevez are the only MLB pitchers we have close to the 3.1 BB9 and 2.8 K/BB ratio that most of those arms above are at.

Aside from Kochanowicz and Christian Young, pretty much all of those names are having good years. And there are a lot of others not far from it. And it’s fantastic seeing Dana and Kent on that list given that most others are relievers and that those guys are so young for their league.

Edited by totdprods