• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The OFFICIAL "Glen Complains About The CHARGERS" THREAD

RallyMo

Because that's how they beat DEN last time.  They didn't open it up and just focused on controlling the clock.  It's actually a brilliant plan against a team like DEN ... if you can execute it.  In Dec they executed it perfectly.  Yesterday, DEN was ready for it.  And in an interesting turn of events, DEN implemented the same plan against SD.  I've never seen them run as much as they did yesterday.

Ya, but it wasn't working and you could tell after the first couple drives. Two Woodhead runs and then a 3rd and long that we had trouble converting. It wasn't until we were desperate that he unleashed Rivers and that's when we started to get going. Whisenhunt did some good things for us this year, but he also drove some fans nuts. His 3rd and long draw plays were predictable and he made some very questionable goal line calls all year. I'm glad he helped, but I won't be too sad about him leaving

Rivers was 'unleashed' after Denver's top CB went out with an injury.  His replacement got repeatedly burned by Rivers and a younger and quicker player in Allen.  I don't disagree that they should have mixed it up more offensively but their lack of success early was largely due to Denver's D and their coverage in the secondary.  Denver controlled the clock and realistically could have been up more early but SD's D came up big two separate times in their own territory.  First with the INT in the end zone and later forcing Denver to take a long FG attempt in windy conditions.  I definitely didn't watch as many Charger games as the rest of you but Mathews thrived under Wisenhut and having that running game going was a major reason they went on a run and made the playoffs.  Props to SD who had a much better season than I thought they would. 

Because that's how they beat DEN last time. They didn't open it up and just focused on controlling the clock. It's actually a brilliant plan against a team like DEN ... if you can execute it. In Dec they executed it perfectly. Yesterday, DEN was ready for it. And in an interesting turn of events, DEN implemented the same plan against SD. I've never seen them run as much as they did yesterday.

It worked with Mathews, not Woodhead. That adjustment should have been made at halftime at the latest.

And the CB going out had a minimal impact on the gameplan. Rivers has launched the ball all season, it was just horrible scheming and adjusting by Wisenhunt.

Edited by Angels_Make_Me_Drink

I for one will not miss Wisenhunt. His play calling is way too conservative. Why wait until the 4th Q to unleash the aerial attack and the hurry up? Those adjustments should have been made in the 2nd quarter.

Overall great season though, I can't complain. Love this team and have big hopes for next year. I trust that McCoy will have Rivers, Mathews, Green, and Allen ready to role. I hope we can draft well again, find some CBs, another pass rusher opposite Ingram (who knows what Freeney has left?) and maybe another receiver, and some OL beef.

As a Cardinals fan I agree

Run , run , pass....

• 5 weeks later...

Rams fan, but glad McCoy should be there for a while. It helps to keep the LB State name in football talk 22 years after LB dropped it, as he went to LB for his his first two seasons before transferring to Utah after football was dropped.

And yes, both he and Terrell Davis were on those 90 and 91 LB teams (redshirting in 90).

Proud LB supporter in seeing THREE head coaches with LB State ties amongst the 12 post-season teams (McCoy, Fox, and Lewis)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Great game, but in both games so far some of the ultra-conservative play-calling is questionable.  Chargers had a big lead in the second half and they got it by taking chances.  They reverted to Norm rules by running the ball up the middle (or slightly off-tackle, once) on every first down.  Trying to protect the lead instead of increasing it.  

That said...**** yeah.