• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

2 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

I'll complain about your use of the word 'irregardless.' Pet peeve of mine.

irregardless

adverb

ir·re·gard·less ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs 

nonstandard

Ahh yes, I think I have been using that word wrong since a young age. The bad habits you develop growing up...

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I didn't read the Blum article, but I hope he talked not just (or even primarily) about spending on major league talent to compete, but all corners cut throughout the org - from screwing minor leaguers to no international scouting to player development in general. 

That was his year-end wrap up article, basically.  And, yes, it covered all the areas you mention.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Please sign Yamamoto now.  The team needs a top starter and he is 25.  Fits win now mode and fits long term improvement as well.

This is one of the long term contract that (other than same risk of injury of any deal) makes more sense than most.

That would be great but the Mets are pursuing him and I doubt we outbid them. This franchise is a complete shit show right now.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Please sign Yamamoto now.  The team needs a top starter and he is 25.  Fits win now mode and fits long term improvement as well.

This is one of the long term contract that (other than same risk of injury of any deal) makes more sense than most.

We aren't close to win-now mode. He's a pipe dream for us. Only way to get him is to have Arte overpay 

5 minutes ago, HBAngel13 said:

We need to have some thick skin this offseason and take all the Angels/Arte hit pieces that will surely come.  Some will be deserved. 

Be smart here Perry… Just like when you talked Arte out of signing Trea Turner. Spread the money around. Keep raising the floor on the roster.  Don’t cripple your flexibility with the wrong deal

If we get back to contending and winning, all the pain goes away.  We aren’t that far away.  Probably not this year unless everything goes right, but 2025 could be interesting. 

This offseason? Angels and Arte have been getting bludgeoned and laughed at by the media and opposing fan bases for at least the past 5 years now. It'll just be more of the same this offseason with the same played out and overused jokes and talking points.

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Angels suck for not signing Shohei, but they would have sucked for signing him.

The problems with the org are much larger than one player, even one as historic as Ohtani.

I didn't read the Blum article, but I hope he talked not just (or even primarily) about spending on major league talent to compete, but all corners cut throughout the org - from screwing minor leaguers to no international scouting to player development in general. 

past suckage vs. future suckage.  Don't compound past mistakes by making another huge one.  

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

We aren't close to win-now mode. He's a pipe dream for us. Only way to get him is to have Arte overpay 

“Overpay” meaning be the winning bidder?  So arguably almost every free agent signing is an “overpay.”  Got it. 

I thought the samurai helmet after home runs was going to convince him to stay.

So I'd be lying if I said this doesn't suck. And I still gate the Dodgers. But I'm glad for Shohei. He's not going to waste his career like Trout. And no matter how expensive he is (which is crazy with his arm in limbo), u like the Angels, the Dodgers won't blink at spending more going forward.

At least I can listen to dodger games on rhe radio when he pitches I guess.

And honestly, he SHOULD be playing in a packed stadium in October. I'm probably alone here in saying it, but now I hope the Dodgers win 5 rings. And I still hate them. But I want to see ohtani become the guy no one can argue was the best of all time 50 years from now

6 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Angels fans have 0 reason to be upset with Ohtani. The dude simply wants to play on a winning team. Does it suck that he left? Hell yes it does. 

The only person to blame is the owner for not having a talented enough organization to compete and make him want to stay. 

Not mad at Ohtani I just hate the Dodgers 

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You’re assuming that Arte’s main priority is winning. 

I have no ill will toward Ohtani.  He is a class act and a special player.

I can’t root for him personally at the same level as I did with him in an Angel uniform, but I will still root for him personally.

But, I can’t root for the Dodgers to win.  So my wish is Ohtani is great and the Dodgers find a way to not win.

That’s the best I can hope for.

Edited by Dtwncbad

31 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Taking the exchange rate into account -- that would have been like a 12 year 426 million dollar deal.  

There's no exchange rate conversion to do, all MLB contracts are paid in US dollars, including the Blue Jays players.  Same is even true with NHL contracts.

Edited by Lazorko Saves