• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Another player that we could kick the tires on if we are at all considering Hernandez is Gallo.  High OBP, power from the left side as well as good outfield defense.

And he maybe hits .200 if everything goes right.

Just now, Hubs said:

Wow is it really that high? 

It's not. He's got a .323 OBP in his career, and .301 and .280 OBP the past two years. In Texas and NY in 2021, he did a .351 OBP but that was when he was full time, 38 HR, 213 K and 111 BB.

There are better options. 

I know Bellinger is gonna cost, but at this point, if you're trying to be competitive in Arte's last years of his 70's, he's pretty much the only option.

MLBTR's projection was 12 / 264. That's 22 per season.

I'd do it. Yes it's an investment, and yes he's an injury risk, but, even at 10 years I'd do that number. 

Blake Snell was at 7/200, which is 28.57 per season. .

I'd do it. Yes it's an investment and yes he averaged 5.2 IP per start last year, but he was also a 6 bWAR pitcher last year, and is an elite ace. I'd also...

Sign Marcus Stroman to his 2 year 44 M projection.

I may also keep a 6 man rotation, and ask my guys to go 6 1/3... The pitching philosophy the last few seasons hasn't been good, and the guys we have aren't used to running out there every five days. With Snell, Stroman, Sandoval, Detmers and Canning, Anderson ..a 6 man rotation means 27 starts each. And you have Silseth perhaps over Anderson, or you can trade for more offense somewhere else.

Perhaps you can get Jonathan India or someone like Cronenworth for Anderson, Rengifo and a prospect pitcher.

Alternately, I would consider bringing in Shane Beiber instead of Stroman.

But they need to start making moves...Snell and Bellinger are both Boras clients, but get it done. 

27 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Prefer Gallo to Anderson.

Only thing that interests me a bit in Gallo is if Washington can 'fix' him however he helped Bellinger fix his swing. Maybe closing up his stance and stride more like Bellinger's would help him. I dunno. He's a mess. But Bellinger's last two years with LAD (.193/.256/.355/.611, 70 XBH, 69 BB, 244 K in 900 PA) look like kind of Gallo's last couple of years (.168/.290/.394/.684 with 60 XBH, 104 BB, 305 K in 742 PA).

FWIW, I don't suspect Gallo will ever hit for any kind of decent average, but if he got anywhere close to a .220/.350/.450 guy it's alright for a one-year flyer, and his pop would be intriguing to contenders at the deadline if for nothing more than off-the-bench BB/HR threats.

Edited by totdprods

10 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Perhaps you can get Jonathan India or someone like Cronenworth for Anderson, Rengifo and a prospect pitcher.

Evan White and Tyler Anderson plus someone like Suarez or Soto for Cronenworth would work according to BTV. 

But Cronenworth is due a lot of money, and the Padres may not want to take on more salary for 2024. So there would probably be money on both sides. 

Like The Angels pay Anderson's salary this year, while the Padres pay $2M of Cronenworth's deal from 2025-2030. Thats roughly the same amount of money, but they get out from the $13M in 2024. White makes the same as Cronenworth in 2024. ($7M).

Or the Angels can swap only White for Cronenworth and like 24M from 2025-2030. Like 4 M per. 

India would likely cost more, and Beiber would cost some as well. 

But lets start making moves.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Only thing that interests me a bit in Gallo is if Washington can 'fix' him however he helped Bellinger fix his swing. Maybe closing up his stance and stride more like Bellinger's would help him. I dunno. He's a mess. But Bellinger's last two years with LAD (.193/.256/.355/.611, 70 XBH, 69 BB, 244 K in 900 PA) look like kind of Gallo's last couple of years (.168/.290/.394/.684 with 60 XBH, 104 BB, 305 K in 742 PA).

Maybe, but Gallo never had a year where he hit .305/.406/.629 either. You'd be asking for Washington to fix his swing to be something he never was. Bellinger was an elite player from 2017-2019, and then had a subpar year and two years where he hit rock bottom. Then rebounded some last year for a .307/.356/.525 line. Hopefully he could get back to the .600 SLG percentages.. that would be a great addition to the middle of the Angels lineup. 

34 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Maybe, but Gallo never had a year where he hit .305/.406/.629 either. You'd be asking for Washington to fix his swing to be something he never was. Bellinger was an elite player from 2017-2019, and then had a subpar year and two years where he hit rock bottom. Then rebounded some last year for a .307/.356/.525 line. Hopefully he could get back to the .600 SLG percentages.. that would be a great addition to the middle of the Angels lineup. 

Yeah, just noting that Bellinger sort of became a Gallo-esque bat when he started struggling, hardly any contact, increasing strikeouts, still could draw a walk, still had some pop...so maybe what he was when Washington came across him is similar to what Gallo has always been.

There was always question about whether Gallo could stick even before he debuted, so wouldn't surprise me if he was cooked. Even the power has dropped off.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Blake Snell … is an elite ace. 

I wouldn’t agree with this. He can pitch at that level, but not consistently.  Therein lies the problem with giving him a 7 yr contract. 

I would love Snell on a 3-yr deal or Bellinger on a 4-yr deal, but 7 and 12 (?) is a poor choice for those players. 

Ask SD how they feel about that Xander Boegarts contract after one year….

18 minutes ago, HBAngel13 said:

I wouldn’t agree with this. He can pitch at that level, but not consistently.  Therein lies the problem with giving him a 7 yr contract. 

I would love Snell on a 3-yr deal or Bellinger on a 4-yr deal, but 7 and 12 (?) is a poor choice for those players. 

Ask SD how they feel about that Xander Boegarts contract after one year….

So why not try a 3 or 4 year with a club option for an extra year and if they don’t do well, you can use the club option and let them go and if they do well keep them on the team 

2 minutes ago, rottiesworld said:

So why not try a 3 or 4 year with a club option for an extra year and if they don’t do well, you can use the club option and let them go and if they do well keep them on the team 

This would be nice but players and agents for players who have the age and questions that these guys do would never accept those terms they want to be sure they are getting paid top price for as long as they can most case well after they are any good.

Edited by Chitown27Fan

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I know Bellinger is gonna cost, but at this point, if you're trying to be competitive in Arte's last years of his 70's, he's pretty much the only option.

MLBTR's projection was 12 / 264. That's 22 per season.

I'd do it. Yes it's an investment, and yes he's an injury risk, but, even at 10 years I'd do that number. 

Blake Snell was at 7/200, which is 28.57 per season. .

I'd do it. Yes it's an investment and yes he averaged 5.2 IP per start last year, but he was also a 6 bWAR pitcher last year, and is an elite ace. I'd also...

Sign Marcus Stroman to his 2 year 44 M projection.

I may also keep a 6 man rotation, and ask my guys to go 6 1/3... The pitching philosophy the last few seasons hasn't been good, and the guys we have aren't used to running out there every five days. With Snell, Stroman, Sandoval, Detmers and Canning, Anderson ..a 6 man rotation means 27 starts each. And you have Silseth perhaps over Anderson, or you can trade for more offense somewhere else.

Alternately, I would consider bringing in Shane Beiber instead of Stroman.

But they need to start making moves...Snell and Bellinger are both Boras clients, but get it done. 

I like this idea , maybe add Chapman as well have them all defer some money.Its not just a Dodger thing. I would stay five man rotation. Few extra pieces and let’s go.