• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

I've been trying to come up with a handful of moves that could help us this season and the upcoming free agency. After going back and forth between the moves, I've finally come up with some that could help. 

Top of my List;

1. Snell, I think he is the best arm available with the ability to be a solid 2! Which this team needs. I think a similar contract to what Rodon got is what Snell will get, 162 mil over 6 years, which I think is a good price for him and gives us that top of the rotation arm we need. If I'm Arte/Perry I would try to back load the contract once's Rendon contract is off the books. 

2. There have been a lot of rumors that the Padres may be trying to cut salary by trading one of Cronenworth or Kim, and looking at the rumors, the Pads might prefer to somehow trade Cronenworth in hopes of extending Kim. I would love to grab Cronenworth and see if the Padres would be willing to add a prospect or two to sweeten the return. The downside is that we would be adding 80 million in salary. But before last year, Cronenworth had been a four-war player, and if he returns to this form, that contract could be a bargain and a benefit. 

One such trade that could be in work is; 

- Padres get; Drury

- Angels get; Cronenworth, Mazur, Lizarraga and 10 mil

3. Next I would look at adding a short term option to include into the rotation and people might not like it, but I would add Clevenger 20 mil over 2 years, with a club option for the next year. 

4. With about 37 mil spent, I would now turn my attention on addressing the BP. 

- Bring back Moore of a 2 years 12 mil contract with a second year option 

- Try to sign David robertson 10 mil over 1 year

- Try to sign Hicks over 48 mil over 4 years

33 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Trading Drury after losing Ohtani would be giving away even more offense.  Not a good idea.

That was only if halos got Croneworth in trade first. Depending with rest of off season and nothing major happens I trade Drury and Carlos E. Maybe in ST if some teams an INF. With this roster now I cannot see Angels as playoff team. 

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I've been trying to come up with a handful of moves that could help us this season and the upcoming free agency. After going back and forth between the moves, I've finally come up with some that could help. 

Top of my List;

1. Snell, I think he is the best arm available with the ability to be a solid 2! Which this team needs. I think a similar contract to what Rodon got is what Snell will get, 162 mil over 6 years, which I think is a good price for him and gives us that top of the rotation arm we need. If I'm Arte/Perry I would try to back load the contract once's Rendon contract is off the books. 

2. There have been a lot of rumors that the Padres may be trying to cut salary by trading one of Cronenworth or Kim, and looking at the rumors, the Pads might prefer to somehow trade Cronenworth in hopes of extending Kim. I would love to grab Cronenworth and see if the Padres would be willing to add a prospect or two to sweeten the return. The downside is that we would be adding 80 million in salary. But before last year, Cronenworth had been a four-war player, and if he returns to this form, that contract could be a bargain and a benefit. 

One such trade that could be in work is; 

- Padres get; Drury

- Angels get; Cronenworth, Mazur, Lizarraga and 10 mil

3. Next I would look at adding a short term option to include into the rotation and people might not like it, but I would add Clevenger 20 mil over 2 years, with a club option for the next year. 

4. With about 37 mil spent, I would now turn my attention on addressing the BP. 

- Bring back Moore of a 2 years 12 mil contract with a second year option 

- Try to sign David robertson 10 mil over 1 year

- Try to sign Hicks over 48 mil over 4 years

1. Hard agree on Snell. He has ace stuff with some inconsistency but really not as bad as a lot of people think.

2. I think this would never happen, both because the Angels wouldn't seek this out and I think you're overvaluing Drury.  I think the max package Preller would give up would be MAYBE Cronenworth + Mazur, and Maybe $3-5M, and I think the Angels wouldn't see the merit in picking up another contract like that for a position player, especially when Drury fit so well last year.

3. Like the short term option, but don't love Clevinger.  He's already had a drop in numbers and will likely drop even harder faster with his elbow, and I think your estimates a little low (I'd guess he ends up around 13-15 AAV).  I'd prefer someone like Lorenzen, Montas, or Junis.

4. Love it, Love it, Love it.  I'd probably prefer Stephenson to Hicks but any attempts to improve the bullpen are steps in the right direction, IMO.

I still think an outfielder and a 5th infielder would be nice, but I like the ideas.  Anythings better than doing nothing and stretching our thin farm even thinner by rushing young guys up. 

11 minutes ago, CartiHalos said:

1. Hard agree on Snell. He has ace stuff with some inconsistency but really not as bad as a lot of people think.

2. I think this would never happen, both because the Angels wouldn't seek this out and I think you're overvaluing Drury.  I think the max package Preller would give up would be MAYBE Cronenworth + Mazur, and Maybe $3-5M, and I think the Angels wouldn't see the merit in picking up another contract like that for a position player, especially when Drury fit so well last year.

3. Like the short term option, but don't love Clevinger.  He's already had a drop in numbers and will likely drop even harder faster with his elbow, and I think your estimates a little low (I'd guess he ends up around 13-15 AAV).  I'd prefer someone like Lorenzen, Montas, or Junis.

4. Love it, Love it, Love it.  I'd probably prefer Stephenson to Hicks but any attempts to improve the bullpen are steps in the right direction, IMO.

I still think an outfielder and a 5th infielder would be nice, but I like the ideas.  Anythings better than doing nothing and stretching our thin farm even thinner by rushing young guys up. 

The free agent pitchers left that you could get on 1 or 2 deal who would you pick?

15 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

If Arte really cared about the Angels and us Fans he would sell to someone like Steve Ballmer that could compete with them . Oh I forgot he has unfinished business 

That would be my dream scenario, Steve Ballmer buying the Angels from Arte….

Him or the Walter Penner group that brought the Denver Broncos. 

Owners who have shown they will spend in order to invest in their organizations, hire the right people to run them then step out of the way and let the experts they hired to run the teams on the field. 

For a team that won only 73 games last season, the Angels have a surprising number of players rival clubs want in trades. Whether the club actually deals some of those players hinges on the offers it receives, and perhaps on how much owner Arte Moreno is willing to spend on replacements in free agency.

As active as the Angels are in the trade market, it behooves them to check in on most of the top remaining free agents, and they are doing that, from left-hander Blake Snell to outfielder Teoscar Hernández. The Angels’ own players drawing interest, according to major-league sources briefed on their discussions, include:

• Infielder Luis Rengifo. A switch-hitter who played six different positions last season, Rengifo’s .960 OPS after the All-Star Game was the 17th-highest in the majors. He will play next season at 27, and is under club control for two more years.

• Outfielder Taylor Ward. Hit in the face by an Alek Manoah fastball on July 29, Ward missed the rest of the season with facial fractures. His offensive numbers declined some from his 2022 breakout, but teams covet his three years of control.

• Outfielder Mickey Moniak. The value of a left-handed hitter who can play center field was demonstrated by the Giants’ recent signing of free agent Jung Hoo Lee to a six-year, $113 million deal. Moniak, who had 14 homers and an .802 OPS in 323 plate appearances last season, is under control for four more seasons.

• Catcher Matt Thaiss. Catchers always are in demand. Thaiss, under club control for four more seasons, is a left-handed hitter who had a .745 OPS before the All-Star Game last season before falling off to .504 after it.

• Left-hander José Suarez. The Angels ranked sixth in rotation ERA before falling to 19th last season, but most of their starters are young and talented enough to still pique the interest of rival clubs. Suárez, 26, had a 3.86 ERA in 207 1/3 innings in 2021-22 before missing more than four months with a strained shoulder last season. He is under club control for three more years.

The Angels, mind you, do not need to trade any of those players. With better health and full seasons from younger players such as catcher Logan O’Hoppe, shortstop Zach Neto and Nolan Schanuel — assuming none are traded — the team might improve without doing much of anything. But with so much under discussion, it’s doubtful the Angels stand pat.

5 hours ago, jeskola said:

6 teams in 6 years and has a girls name. also no one cares about "Former All-Star" thats pretty much everyone. I was a Former All-Star in little league.

Former top prospect involved in a few big trades.  Probably says more about you as a follower of MLB than anything else.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

The free agent pitchers left that you could get on 1 or 2 deal who would you pick?

I think giving Montas a 1 year prove it deal is very low risk and he's been outstanding in the past, Lorenzen is a near guaranteed 150 innings, Jakob Junis is a great pitcher but probably a little bit riskier of an option, and even a guy like Kluber or Paxton I'd be okay with (although I'd prefer a righty.)

3 minutes ago, Tank said:

fwiw, last year was the first time lorenzen reached 150 IP in his career (153 to be exact). 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lorenmi01.shtml

I actually figured he did it with us, too, but I might just be confusing him as an innings eater because he reminds me of Mike Leake. Regardless, I'd take his production from either of his 2 full years as a starter on a 1 or 2 year deal still.

16 minutes ago, CartiHalos said:

I think giving Montas a 1 year prove it deal is very low risk and he's been outstanding in the past, Lorenzen is a near guaranteed 150 innings, Jakob Junis is a great pitcher but probably a little bit riskier of an option, and even a guy like Kluber or Paxton I'd be okay with (although I'd prefer a righty.)

I would sign Montas and Lorenzen but pass on other 3 Thanks for your opinion.