• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

Here's a thought:

Arte held onto Shohei because he didn't want to be the owner who traded that level of talent away. Trading Shohei may have been the "right" baseball move, but certainly wasn't the "right" marketing/business move (although we can argue that if they traded Shohei away a year prior at the deadline).

Because we got our payroll underneath the cap, we get an extra pick after the 2nd round for losing Shohei. And, since we were a bottom 10 record team, we can't lose our 1xt round pick if we sign a player with a QO, and instead would lose our 2nd round pick.

By signing Snell, and forfeiting our 2nd round pick, we essentially (and especially in Arte's mind) will get nothing for Shohei. Snell alone isn't going to get us to the postseason, so, while one could argue that what we got for Shohei was the FA we signed, it's not going to move the needle that much for us. So, I can see why, in Arte's mind, he doesn't want to sign a player with a QO. 

On another note, I can also see Arte and Perry thinking that the RSN bankruptcy isn't truly resolved. Some teams may become more desperate to unload if there is another collapse. So, it might be wise to hold off a bit to see what happens and who becomes available. 

Personally, if we could sign Martinez and Montgomery to reasonable deals, I'd do it.I would like Montgomery to push Anderson into a long relief role at first. With young pitchers, we will have games where we will need him for that. Until he shows me more, I would like to see him get fewer innings, especially fewer critical innings.

As for JD, I think he would add an interesting and valuable role to mentor our younger players and Mike Trout. Father time takes its toll on everyone. And yet, Martinez has managed to stay in great shape and put up solid numbers through his age 36 season. Try as he might, Trout will age and will need to adjust how he approaches the plate and his swing. Rather than having old man Rendon giving and showing the wrong way to g about his game, I would rather someone who continues to post great numbers to mentor Trout on how to continue to hit well as the body ages. Pujols did not show such an example, and more importantly isn't there to mentor Trout on this throughout the season. Adding JD to be an elder statesman and potential leader (assuming scouts say that he can fill that role) might be a good idea because of how young our team is overall. 

I think that, in part, that's what they wanted out of Washington--to mentor the young team into a future core. If Washington can keep Neto and Schanuel developing, and can turn Adell into a solidto above average regular, then he will have earned his contract. 

At this point in free agency, I would offer two big contracts and see if they take it or not. 

For Snell, I would offer 100 mil over 4 years, with an option at 20 mil for the 5 year Plus opt out after the 1st and 3rd years. 

Montegomery, I would offer him a similar contract to the Chapman contract plus a 4th year 

30 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

What good would it be to sign Snell or Montgomery with opt out years? Angels probably not in playoffs this year. So Snell or Montgomery good years then leave, bad years you stuck with them. Develop players we have see if Soriano or Wantz can be starters. Plus Daniels, Silseth and others are halo future.

Montgomery wouldn’t cost anything other than money and wouldn’t put us over the tax so there’s honestly zero reason to say we shouldn’t sign him. Snell I get the argument but would still like him if it’s a 3-4 year deal with no opt outs. Those two guys have been and today are better than any pitcher we have on the roster so I’m in the mindset of getting better 🤷🏽‍♂️

45 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Montgomery wouldn’t cost anything other than money and wouldn’t put us over the tax so there’s honestly zero reason to say we shouldn’t sign him. Snell I get the argument but would still like him if it’s a 3-4 year deal with no opt outs. Those two guys have been and today are better than any pitcher we have on the roster so I’m in the mindset of getting better 🤷🏽‍♂️

Save the money for next off season. Halos have Silseth, Daniels, Soriano and Wantz plus others to be starters. I'm for a new direction with this team. Develop the young players and see where Angels are. Maybe next off season will need more position players and not starters. Burnes will be free agent, I make move next year. 

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

What good would it be to sign Snell or Montgomery with opt out years? Angels probably not in playoffs this year. So Snell or Montgomery good years then leave, bad years you stuck with them. Develop players we have see if Soriano or Wantz can be starters. Plus Daniels, Silseth and others are halo future.

Only offer an opt out after year 2 and no more than 3 years overpay total.

As mentioned before, the one big contract should be saved for someone like Burnes.

Only go over tax threshold in 2025-2026, and thus minor penalties.

Edited by Angel Oracle

All this talk of Burnes, who I would love to have… why would he come here when our 2nd best pitcher would be Detmers? Sandoval? I’m sure for Burnes or any other starter it would be much more enticing to come here if 1. Arte would F off and 2. We had a guy like Snell or Montgomery already in the rotation to pair with 

7 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

All this talk of Burnes, who I would love to have… why would he come here when our 2nd best pitcher would be Detmers? Sandoval? I’m sure for Burnes or any other starter it would be much more enticing to come here if 1. Arte would F off and 2. We had a guy like Snell or Montgomery already in the rotation to pair with 

What good would that do if Snell or Montgomery have opt out year 1 or 2. Let young starters develop Silseth, Daniels, Bachman, Soriano, Dana to go along with Detmers, Canning and Sandoval

18 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

What good would that do if Snell or Montgomery have opt out year 1 or 2. Let young starters develop Silseth, Daniels, Bachman, Soriano, Dana to go along with Detmers, Canning and Sandoval

Crazy concept again, don’t give them an opt out. Bachman hasn’t been healthy his whole career. Dana should not be relied on to be in the rotation next year there’s no reason to rush a 20-21 year old pitcher even if all goes well this year in the minors. We want to stretch out Soriano? Ok cool he will most likely be doing that in the minors this year if that’s what they really want to do with him. 
Idk how you can’t understand tht bringing in Snell or Monty wouldn’t hamper anyone’s development if brought in on the right deal. Our starting rotation has sucked and sucked for years god forbid we try to improve it. Also cute that all off-season you’ve been sucking Clevingers schlong but Snell and Monty are a no go… funny

You have no idea if Soriano will be in rotation this season. Halos have Silseth at number 5 now and Daniels not far behind. First Snell or Montgomery are not coming here. They will want opt out and that would be crazy for this halo team to do that. I do not want to hold back Silseth, Daniels or Soriano this year. Crazy concept letting young players develop.

33 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

You have no idea if Soriano will be in rotation this season. Halos have Silseth at number 5 now and Daniels not far behind. First Snell or Montgomery are not coming here. They will want opt out and that would be crazy for this halo team to do that. I do not want to hold back Silseth, Daniels or Soriano this year. Crazy concept letting young players develop.

young-man-2939344.jpg

5 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

All the more reason to sign snell. I think Burnes is going to get stupid Cole money next year. I also think he deserves it, but I don't see Arte going that high. 

I do not sign him with opt out years.

6 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I do not sign him with opt out years.

Snell would only want opt(s) out on a short 3 yr type of deal. He'd want to pitch like an ace again and opt out. If we just sign him to a 5-6 yr deal I don't believe he'd demand any opt outs. I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Snell would only want opt(s) out on a short 3 yr type of deal. He'd want to pitch like an ace again and opt out. If we just sign him to a 5-6 yr deal I don't believe he'd demand any opt outs. I could be wrong.

The concern with a long term deal is those 4 other seasons where he never exceeded 130 innings.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The concern with a long term deal is those 4 other seasons where he never exceeded 130 innings.

I get it, but the one year deals for guys like Teheran, Noah S, etc aren't paying dividends Either. 

Snell would provide at least a solid 2/3 type SP for several years and would make someone like Burnes next year a potential final piece.