• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

If the Mets didn’t want to pay Snell/Montgomery with a healthy Senga, I don’t see why they would want to pay them without a healthy Senga.

The whole reason they’re out on big free agent spending this offseason (besides the 25 y/o Yamamoto) is because they believe their time to strike is 2025, when they have an infusion of youth (Baty, Vientos, Mauricio, Acuña, Gilbert, Scott, etc.)

1 minute ago, BTH said:

If the Mets didn’t want to pay Snell/Montgomery with a healthy Senga, I don’t see why they would want to pay them without a healthy Senga.

The whole reason they’re out on big free agent spending this offseason (besides the 25 y/o Yamamoto) is because they believe their time to strike is 2025, when they have an infusion of youth (Baty, Vientos, Mauricio, Acuña, Gilbert, Scott, etc.)

Yeah but remember who said the "2025" thing.

And it's not like Snell or whomever wouldn't help them next year.

Some interesting thoughts on why Amed Rosario ended up with a one-year deal for $1.5M.  It's long, so I've included a key excerpt below the link:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-rays-got-amed-rosario-for-a-song-what-does-it-all-mean/

"There’s something else at play here, at least potentially. I can’t take much credit for this insight, but I also can’t pin down who said it first, because I picked it up over the course of reading a lot of our comment sections. Basically, teams are getting so good at developing Rosario-esque players internally that they’re being devalued in free agency. If you can generate an average-glove, slightly-below-average-bat second baseman from your farm system at will, there’s no reason to offer someone like Rosario a market rate in free agency. The more teams churn out 1-2 WAR middle infielders, the less that group of players will be in demand.

It doesn’t pass cleanly up the line to more accomplished hitters, or at least it hasn’t yet. You might be able to generate 95% of Amed Rosario for a bargain rate, but the same can’t be said for Jose Altuve. But the middle class of up-the-middle defenders – yes, I said that on purpose – is feeling it in their wallets at the moment. There are knock-on effects worth considering, too. The old argument in favor of defensively versatile prospects who might struggle to hit at the major league level is that they could still become average middle infielders. Just look at literally Amed Rosario for an example of that. But if that kind of player isn’t worth so much on the open market anymore, if you can get those types of hitters more or less freely, then the calculus changes.

It’s funny to me that the Rays are the ones signing Rosario. For years, they’ve been the ones generating middle infield prospects to avoid hitting the free agent market for those players. But now the tables have turned, and they’re wisely changing with the times. Right now, there are enough so-so (relative to the best major leaguers) middle infielders that you can sign them for cheap. So naturally, the Rays are doing just that, and picking the ones who most fit their roster construction style to do so. Good work, Rays; the rest of baseball surely won’t be far behind on the same plan."

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Someone better send his agent that article you posted before the Marlins pull their offer.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Someine better send his agent that article you posted before the Marlins pull their offer.

from the article: Right now, there are enough so-so (relative to the best major leaguers) middle infielders that you can sign them for cheap. So naturally, the Rays are doing just that, and picking the ones who most fit their roster construction style to do so. Good work, Rays; the rest of baseball surely won’t be far behind on the same plan."

Given that the Marlins just hired the Rays GM as their POBO this offseason, their strategies are likely similar.

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Some interesting thoughts on why Amed Rosario ended up with a one-year deal for $1.5M.  It's long, so I've included a key excerpt below the link:

Good thoughts in there from Ben.

As it pertains to the Angels, they are probably one of the few teams that isn't capable of developing Rosario-esque players. Which is why I could see them shopping in that market.

I suppose Stefanic kinda fits, but he can't play SS. (To be fair, Rosario's defensive metrics suggest he can't either)

Edited by BTH