• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

44 minutes ago, Chuck said:

One year wonders, big contracts and FAIL. We've seen this before. 

GMJ, Cozart, Tyler Anderson, Blanton..

If we sign him someone on here will say we were the only team that would offer him a major league deal, regardless of the fact other teams were pursuing him.  

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

IMG_9032.jpeg

not sure if buying relievers after a career year is ever a good idea, but could use all the help we can get in the bullpen

He wasn't good "all of a sudden" during a "career year". He had a full year (2021) in Colorado where he posted a 3.13 ERA/3.63 WHIP.

TBF, when he's been bad, he's been worse than a righty version of Loup.

But if the Dodgers also want him, there is most likely something there...

2 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

He wasn't good "all of a sudden" during a "career year". He had a full year (2021) in Colorado where he posted a 3.13 ERA/3.63 WHIP.

TBF, when he's been bad, he's been worse than a righty version of Loup.

But if the Dodgers also want him, there is most likely something there...

Sure, he had one good year in Colorado and one good year in Cincy, but the rest of his career is pretty middle of the road, at best. He was pretty mediocre to start the year with Pittsburgh. 3 HR in 18 innings, ERA over 5, WHIP around 1.4 and then waived. Turned into an absolute beast mid-year after Tampa picked him up, which is exactly what they do. 

They did the same thing with Oliver Drake (4.59 ERA and 1.4 WHIP pre-TBR, 3.21 ERA and .9 WHIP after Tampa grabbed him) then he sucked the next year and hasn't been in the bigs since. 
Matt Wisler is another. ERA at 5 and WHIP of 1.4 in his previous 150 IP, then Tampa plucks him and he has a 2.21 ERA and sub-1.00 WHIP in his next 73 Tampa innings. They let him go and he hasn't been in the bigs since. 

Stephenson feels exactly like this same scenario. Middling reliever grabbed off waivers, turned into a beast, allowed to walk....see what happens next. 

It has often been said (on AW.com, especially) that relievers are fungible and that you don't need to pay a premium for (most) relievers. If they can get Stephenson for, say, 2 years/$5 million, I'm ok with that. If it starts getting beyond the 2/$6 million area, we can pass. 

11 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

It has often been said (on AW.com, especially) that relievers are fungible and that you don't need to pay a premium for (most) relievers. If they can get Stephenson for, say, 2 years/$5 million, I'm ok with that. If it starts getting beyond the 2/$6 million area, we can pass. 

I imagine Stephenson is going to get, at minimum, something like 2/$18m and possibly something more like 3/$30m or 4/$36m, which is way too much, no matter how good that half-year with Tampa was. I would maybe do that 2-yr deal if I knew the Halos were plunking down and going with a $210m+ payroll in '25, but that's about it.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

So with Gray getting $75 million over 3 years, does that set Snell at 7 years and around $175-200 million?  I think he is about 3 years younger than Gray, doesn’t pitch as many innings on average.  

Don't forget that Nola got 24 AAV over 7, and so yeah, Snell is right there, probably a bit ahead of Nola. Like 7 @ 26 or 27. 

Gentle reminder that this is why I’d rather save big pitcher money until next winter. This was tweeted earlier this year by Milwaukee’s near Tim Mead equivalent I think.

Bieber, Glasnow, Fried, and Beuhler all hit FA next winter too, all with SoCal ties.

I don’t think we match up, but it’s also why a trade for Burnes could be in the mix this winter, and another reason why considering assuming some or all of Yelich’s contract could be a scenario that helps facilitate a deal. Milwaukee has four or five solid MLB-ready outfielders outside of Yelich. 

IMG_9348.jpeg

Edited by totdprods

21 hours ago, totdprods said:

Sure, he had one good year in Colorado and one good year in Cincy, but the rest of his career is pretty middle of the road, at best. He was pretty mediocre to start the year with Pittsburgh. 3 HR in 18 innings, ERA over 5, WHIP around 1.4 and then waived. Turned into an absolute beast mid-year after Tampa picked him up, which is exactly what they do. 

They did the same thing with Oliver Drake (4.59 ERA and 1.4 WHIP pre-TBR, 3.21 ERA and .9 WHIP after Tampa grabbed him) then he sucked the next year and hasn't been in the bigs since. 
Matt Wisler is another. ERA at 5 and WHIP of 1.4 in his previous 150 IP, then Tampa plucks him and he has a 2.21 ERA and sub-1.00 WHIP in his next 73 Tampa innings. They let him go and he hasn't been in the bigs since. 

Stephenson feels exactly like this same scenario. Middling reliever grabbed off waivers, turned into a beast, allowed to walk....see what happens next. 

Too bad the Halos already hired their pitching coaches, although they may work out.

Someone is eventually going to offer boat loads of money to hire away the Rays pitching coach contingent.

When it’s happened for quite a few years, it’s beyond just a coincidence.

17 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Too bad the Halos already hired their pitching coaches, although they may work out.

Someone is eventually going to offer boat loads of money to hire away the Rays pitching coach contingent.

When it’s happened for quite a few years, it’s beyond just a coincidence.

I think I saw Tampa employs around something around 40 people in their analytics wing, near top of baseball. Angels were lower-mid of pack with around 18? Maybe?

Anyways, they’ve maintained this so consistently for so long, all while losing talent over the years to other teams, I’m assuming it’s a KFC/Coca Cola scenario where no one person knows the whole recipe. The process that brings them success isn’t individual but part of whatever collective pool of systems they’ve built there.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maeda wanted to stay in the Midwest?

Maeda, who has a total of 162 wins between Japan and the United States, spoke in October as follows:
"I'll be 36 next year, so it's not like I'll be able to pitch for another 10 or 20 years. I've had surgery on my elbow, so I think I'll be able to pitch for at least five more years, and my goal is to win 200 games between Japan and the U.S."

(Reference in Japanese) NHK NEWS WEB on November 29th, 2023

The Tigers were the first to formally offer him. He immediately decided to sign the Tigers, who gave him high praise as a starting pitcher.

(Reference in Japanese) SANKEI DIGITAL on November 27th, 2023

40 minutes ago, FromJapan said:

Maeda, who has a total of 162 wins between Japan and the United States, spoke in October as follows:
"I'll be 36 next year, so it's not like I'll be able to pitch for another 10 or 20 years. I've had surgery on my elbow, so I think I'll be able to pitch for at least five more years, and my goal is to win 200 games between Japan and the U.S."

(Reference in Japanese) NHK NEWS WEB on November 29th, 2023

The Tigers were the first to formally offer him. He immediately decided to sign the Tigers, who gave him high praise as a starting pitcher.

(Reference in Japanese) SANKEI DIGITAL on November 27th, 2023

The same thing happened with Kolarek.