• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

45 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Per Baseball America, the #Angels are expected to sign #8 ranked SS Joswa Lugo. This would be the first top 10 international player we've signed since Ohtani. 

This is the biggest Angel move of the offseason so far (Ohtani signing with the Dodgers is a Dodger move, not an Angel move).

56 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Per Baseball America, the #Angels are expected to sign #8 ranked SS Joswa Lugo. This would be the first top 10 international player we've signed since Ohtani. 

MLB.com has him at 37:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2024/international/joswa-lugo-815915

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Lugo, the younger brother of former big league infielder Dawel, could outgrow shortstop in the near future, but he’ll start his professional career in the middle of the diamond. Should he switch positions, his strong arm would help in the transfer to the hot corner. He also has the soft hands, footwork and body control to excel in both spots.

In the meantime, though, Lugo has been using his large frame to his advantage and projects as a right-handed power hitter. He already shows gap power with consistent hard contact and is expected to tap into his raw power as he continues to mature and his body develops. He already shows good discipline at the plate and rarely swings and misses.

Lugo trains in the Dominican Republic with Jaime Ramos, a member of MLB’s Trainer Partnership Program.

4 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

MLB.com has him at 37:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2024/international/joswa-lugo-815915

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Lugo, the younger brother of former big league infielder Dawel, could outgrow shortstop in the near future, but he’ll start his professional career in the middle of the diamond. Should he switch positions, his strong arm would help in the transfer to the hot corner. He also has the soft hands, footwork and body control to excel in both spots.

In the meantime, though, Lugo has been using his large frame to his advantage and projects as a right-handed power hitter. He already shows gap power with consistent hard contact and is expected to tap into his raw power as he continues to mature and his body develops. He already shows good discipline at the plate and rarely swings and misses.

Lugo trains in the Dominican Republic with Jaime Ramos, a member of MLB’s Trainer Partnership Program.

Here's hoping Baseball America is more accurate on their scouting/rankings of prospects than MLB.com.

I like what BA has to say about Lugo. 

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 10.39.06 AM.png

29 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Wow that sounds very lazy.

So why are we overpaying so much? We see something in him? Noone wants to sign here? 

Obviously, the Angels like him. The public rankings aren’t always right, especially when trying to project 16 yr olds.

Remember, Kevin Maitan was once thought to be the next Miguel Cabrera.

7 minutes ago, BTH said:

Obviously, the Angels like him. The public rankings aren’t always right, especially when trying to project 16 yr olds.

Remember, Kevin Maitan was once thought to be the next Miguel Cabrera.

Yeah, and there's been plenty of international signings that weren't even ranked in the top 50/100 and ended up being solid major leaguers/all-stars.

42 minutes ago, BTH said:

@Jeff Fletcher any idea if/when the Angels plan to announce their final coaching staff?

Who haven't they named? Just Bullpen Coach, right? Assistant Hitting Coach? 

Manager: Ron Washington

Bench: Ray Montgomery

"Offensive Coordinator" Tim Laker

Hitting: Johnny Washington

Pitching: Barry Enright

3rd Base / Outfield: Eric Young Sr.

1st Base / Baserunning: Bo Porter

Infield Coach: Ryan Goins

Catching Coach: Jerry Narron

Edited by Hubs

29 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Who haven't they named? 

They haven’t said whether they’re gonna have an assistant hitting coach or an assistant pitching coach.

Steve Karsay is the bullpen coach, but some teams carry 3 pitching coaches. And a lot of teams, including the Angels in the past, have carried 3 hitting coaches.

They also haven’t said whether the support staff (bullpen catchers, Tim Buss) are returning.

And, they haven’t confirmed the hire of Alex Cultice as head of pitching game planning.

Edited by BTH

29 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Based on nothing I have a feeling Angels are doing something today.

Maybe T Hernandez (blah), Snell, Montgomery, Bellinger, I don't know. 

I hope you’re right, though “based on nothing” doesn’t inspire much hope. Lol

29 minutes ago, BTH said:

I hope you’re right, though “based on nothing” doesn’t inspire much hope. Lol

Based on nothing is no better than what Passan, Heyman and Rosenthal can offer right now, so I'll take it. 🙂

I firmly believe NOBODY knows a damn thing about how close the Angels are with any major moves.

3 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I firmly believe NOBODY knows a damn thing about how close the Angels are with any major moves.

Like hell nobody does!  I drive by the stadium and I see how many cars are in the parking lot.  Not a whole lot today. 

The only thing  happening is Monster Truck Jam later this month.  Lots of dirt in the parking lot.