• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

Every year, everything gets more expensive, but particularly now with the ridiculous inflation we're seeing. MLB players and teams probably aren't exempt from this as their operating costs and costs of living have similarly skyrocketed. So a player that was with 10 million a year or two ago now probably goes for closer to 20 million.

I think as an owner and GM, you either have to get used to more expensive prices for free agents, or wait for the market to correct itself, hopefully with a new president and a better economic plan. 

Not sure either path is a very good idea at this point. The best you can hope for is inexpensive home grown talent, and without a great farm system, the Angels are at a deficit there. 

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This is why Tim Anderson is going to get much more than people expect. He’s getting $12-15 million a year for two years with an opt out after year one. 

I mean ESPN has him at 1/12 so idk that I'd call that unexpected

So what would be the harm if a team went public refuting rumors that are blatantly false about being interested in a free agent?  The way I see it it could alienate the agent that represents the player.  I guess it could give the other teams a look into what they are considering.  But if the Angels have no desire to sign Teoscar Hernandez, but are being reported that they are in on him, what would be the harm in simply saying, those rumors are false, we haven’t met with him or his agent about his desire to play for the Angels.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

So what would be the harm if a team went public refuting rumors that are blatantly false about being interested in a free agent?  The way I see it it could alienate the agent that represents the player.  I guess it could give the other teams a look into what they are considering.  But if the Angels have no desire to sign Teoscar Hernandez, but are being reported that they are in on him, what would be the harm in simply saying, those rumors are false, we haven’t met with him or his agent about his desire to play for the Angels.  

Why would they want to drive the price down on a player they don’t want, making him more affordable for their competition?

On 12/27/2023 at 8:01 PM, Blarg said:

Look, clowns, going over the cap this season or the last five,  would not bring the Angels any closer to the playoffs by picking up another couple high priced free agents. The team has been too full of holes to make enough moves to move them forward and this upcoming season is no different.

So they would just be paying a penalty for still getting no better than a third place finish in their division and a loss of draft picks that would strangle off any talent infused into the minors.

So shut up about the cap, it's a dead end for this team that has been in that position since Hamilton.  

I'm pretty sure that variations of this have floated through the halls of the Angel's front office for the last decade or more.  It's also one of the big reasons why they have a shit farm system, very little depth, and they constantly play from year to year.  

I thought I had mapped it out but let's get in the DeLorean for a second and take payroll even to just a shade under the CBT every year.  But instead of adding one guy to a lengthy deal and leaving holes patched with the likes of Rafael Ortego or Johnny Giavotella, you use that money to get some good players on 1-2 year deal.  Hmmm.  I wonder if the odds would be better of those guys not only helping the team out but maybe also having more value at the deadline in trade.  

And instead of trading those players for a guy who's as close to the majors as possible you just get the most talent you can into your minor league system

Or how about you take on a couple of bloated contracts with only a couple years left in order to get a couple of prospects in return?  

Nah.  Let's just keep doing things the same way.  It's really working out.    

1 minute ago, Docwaukee said:

I'm pretty sure that variations of this have floated through the halls of the Angel's front office for the last decade or more.  It's also one of the big reasons why they have a shit farm system, very little depth, and they constantly play from year to year.  

I thought I had mapped it out but let's get in the DeLorean for a second and take payroll even to just a shade under the CBT every year.  But instead of adding one guy to a lengthy deal and leaving holes patched with the likes of Rafael Ortego or Johnny Giavotella, you use that money to get some good players on 1-2 year deal.  Hmmm.  I wonder if the odds would be better of those guys not only helping the team out but maybe also having more value at the deadline in trade.  

And instead of trading those players for a guy who's as close to the majors as possible you just get the most talent you can into your minor league system

Or how about you take on a couple of bloated contracts with only a couple years left in order to get a couple of prospects in return?  

You just gotta trust the process.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

So what would be the harm if a team went public refuting rumors that are blatantly false about being interested in a free agent?

I’m pretty sure that’s against the CBA.

The MLBPA would be pissed.

EDIT:

IMG_2276.jpeg

Edited by BTH

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I don't think there would be harm, but then you'd have to keep track of every time you're mentioned and refute it if it isn't true.  Otherwise, everyone will assume you're in if you don't say anything.  The easiest thing to do is just stay quiet.  Better to remain silent and thought a fool etc.  

40 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Are you saying we should have signed Giolito

3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

With Giolito deal what would a contract for Clevenger look like?

Someone answer this man's question!

MLBTR has an opinion:

So they thought this for Giolito:

17. Lucas Giolito. Two years, $44MM

and then this for Clev:

30. Mike Clevinger. Two years, $26MM

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/2023-24-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions.html