• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

There’s a few reasons I find Rosenthal’s report hard to believe. 

Something like that could’ve only come from Perry, Arte, or Boras. The Angels clearly don’t tolerate leaks from others, hence everything always being a surprise. It doesn’t benefit Perry to leak it at all. It greatly benefits Boras if he’s try to get Arte to agree to something or “prove” something. And why would Heyman, Olney, Murray, and Nightengale all suggest there is dialogue happening if Arte has been a flat no all offseason? Why would Snell/Boras leak to several guys that Snell wants to play in Anaheim? I think it’s more likely their offers are being rejected, and so that leak in addition to Houston is pursuing in addition to “He pitched today, the Giants and Astros watched and he looked good” is an effort to scare Arte because Anaheim is probably his first choice. Why didnt Feinsand and Heyman say the Angels were there? They got their info from Boras most likely. Rosenthal’s leak fits in with something Boras would want to share more than just sources reporting from someone in the Angels. 

One other point, Arte flat refused to even consider Snell or JDM, but when Perry called about Stephenson he said “Heck yeah give that reliever 3/33!!” 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Snell will be signed by the Angels or Astros by the end of the weekend. I assumed Montgomery would be in Houston since he wanted to be in Texas. 

Changing your tune now? 

1 minute ago, ThisismineScios said:

Something like that could’ve only come from Perry, Arte, or Boras. The Angels clearly don’t tolerate leaks from others, hence everything always being a surprise. It doesn’t benefit Perry to leak it at all.

Maybe he did it to try and up fan pressure and see if that changes anything.

2 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

One other point, Arte flat refused to even consider Snell or JDM, but when Perry called about Stephenson he said “Heck yeah give that reliever 3/33!!” 

We know Arte is erratic. Maybe he signed off on Stephenson and then lost trust in Perry after Stephenson got hurt a month after dropping $33M on him.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Obviously there’s a lot of smoke. 

I thought your buddy assured you the Angels were in the final stages of the deal with Snell. 

6 minutes ago, BTH said:

We know Arte is erratic. Maybe he signed off on Stephenson and then lost trust in Perry after Stephenson got hurt a month after dropping $33M on him.

These are stretches. And Rosenthal said “all offseason.” And you know as well as I do Perry wouldn’t do that. I said this earlier in the off-season, but if this is truly how things are, literally, there’s no reason for him to stay as a GM. 

I am hoping it is a power play by Boras. We will see. I believe Strad, bc why would he just lie? 

3 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

These are stretches. And Rosenthal said “all offseason.” And you know as well as I do Perry wouldn’t do that. I said this earlier in the off-season, but if this is truly how things are, literally, there’s no reason for him to stay as a GM. 

I am hoping it is a power play by Boras. We will see. I believe Strad, bc why would he just lie? 

I wouldn’t lie. It doesn’t mean  the deal gets done. Both can be true.  Arte could want Snell or be agreeable to sign Snell but not on the terms being asked. 

18 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I don’t think he would lie, but he may be misinformed or gotten misled.

Even if Rosenthal’s report is false and this is just a negotiation, it’s bad for the Angels/Arte that they’ve dragged this out so long that the Astros are in the mix.

I got misled. I thought a deal was happening, and someone jumped the gun.

I wasn’t lying about it, just like Strad isn’t lying about what he’s hearing.

56 minutes ago, BTH said:

What exactly does fan pressure look like and how would it make its way to Arte?

17 minutes ago, T.G. said:

What exactly does fan pressure look like and how would it make its way to Arte?

Fan reaction online, people saying they aren’t gonna go to games, etc.

Is it likely to work? No.

But a Hail Mary attempt by a GM with his job on the line? Maybe

If he ends up with the Astros I gotta give it up to Jim Crane. 

it would be about a $13 million tax payment on top of whatever contact they dole out to Snell. The guy wants to win and isn’t afraid to spend way above the budget to win. 

6 minutes ago, BTH said:

Fan reaction online, people saying they aren’t gonna go to games, etc.

Is it likely to work? No.

But a Hail Mary attempt by a GM with his job on the line? Maybe

You think Arte is aware of fan reaction online? 

And fans saying "they aren't going to games" can be substantiated or not by ticket sales.

I think you're reaching.

On 3/14/2024 at 8:39 PM, drpiranha said:

I'm GUESSING the thinking with Syndergaard is  there was a lot of doubt if he would be successful after his surgery. If he was fantastic, they would try to extend him. If he sucked, he would be dropped after the year. If he was kind of average, they could shop him mid-season for something more promising than a 2nd round pick. The latter is what happened and we ended up with Jadiel Sanchez and Moniak (which is better than a 2nd round pick.

The difference here (with Snell) is if he were fantastic, he won't extend the contract. However, you could still trade him mid season for more value than a 2nd round pick.

The Angels were trying to buy an ace from the markdown basket.

Just now, T.G. said:

You think Arte is aware of fan reaction online? 

And fans saying "they aren't gping to games" can be substantiated or not by ticket sales.

I think you're reaching.

He may not be, but his lieutenants should be aware of how his customers view his product.

Again, I think it’s more of a Hail Mary attempt by Perry to see if this helps change anything. Cause he knows he’s in the last year of his deal, that winning would help his case to stay, and Snell helps the team win.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

The Angels were trying to buy an ace from the markdown basket.

The Angels were never in the store. Fans and MLB writers wanted them in the store. Fans will still go to the games. It's an outing going with family and friends. Having a few hot dogs peanuts and a drink. People will come Ray it's baseball.

2 minutes ago, BTH said:

He may not be, but his lieutenants should be aware of how his customers view his product

I am trying to visualize his staff meetings...

Arte: "John what are they saying on AW?"

Carpino: "BTH thinks Perry is throwing a Hail Mary."

Hmmm.