• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

If Boras is holding out for opt out after first year being included, this could get interesting.

Snell is already likely pushed back to at least mid-April to make season debut.  The later this gets, who would give a first year opt out when his season debut is delayed significantly?  Especially with a draft pick being lost?

Scott Boras knows what he's doing, 90% of the time. Pitchers get hurt ALL THE TIME. That's why the pitchers he reps want long term contracts, so that when they do get injured, they'll still get paid and they'll still have the opportunity to rehab and get back in the game. 

Not only that, here we are in Spring Training and pitchers are dropping like flies. This means more suitors are being created for his clients. Why? Because pitchers get hurt ALL THE TIME. 

Add into the equation, the less Snell and Montgomery pitch, the less likely they'll get hurt, because pitchers get hurt ALL THE TIME. 

I know you may not want to hear this, but Scott Boras is smart. I think he may be playing it just right. 

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Not only that, here we are in Spring Training and pitchers are dropping like flies. This means more suitors are being created for his clients. Why? Because pitchers get hurt ALL THE TIME….I know you may not want to hear this, but Scott Boras is smart. I think he may be playing it just right. 

Fair point. But I would qualify it with this: I’m not sure teams are going to pay the steep asking price for Snell or Montgomery even with an injury. Clevenger or Lorenzen might be more likely to benefit.🤷‍♂️

I will say this.

Snell’s 2023 season was the first one since 2018 in which he exceeded 130 innings.

It might be beneficial to not exceed 162 innings in 2024, since he’s not used to regular workload in consecutive years.

But under no circumstance is it wise to sign Snell to a long term contract, with the history of low innings seasonal totals.

Wheeler just got 3 years/$126m extension.    Offer that to Snell with opt out after year 2?

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I will say this.

Snell’s 2023 season was the first one since 2018 in which he exceeded 130 innings.

It might be beneficial to not exceed 162 innings in 2024, since he’s not used to regular workload in consecutive years.

But under no circumstance is it wise to sign Snell to a long term contract, with the history of low innings seasonal totals.

Wheeler just got 3 years/$126m extension.    Offer that to Snell with opt out after year 2?

That's 42 million a year. No freakin way. 

I understand it's a shorter deal but for 42 million we could get JD Davis, Lorenzen, and Montgomery. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

That's 42 million a year. No freakin way. 

I understand it's a shorter deal but for 42 million we could get JD Davis, Lorenzen, and Montgomery. 

Ok, Buzzie Bavasi. 

15 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Should Angels sign Free Agent JD Davis

Like I said....... It wasn't up to JD Davis on whether he'd be a FA. I'm not sure why that's so difficult to understand. If any team claimed him he would have had to accept it. NOW he's a FA because no team thinks he's worth 6.9 million. 

To your question, either JD makes sense to me. Davis can play some 3rd and Martinez frees up Drury for 2B and Rengifo for 3B.

Davis has more defensive options, but Martinez is a better slugger. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Get JD Davis for fuck's sake. There has never been a more obvious player to sign. 

Which means we won't even contact him.

He would be a good get but you have to think he’s looking for a place with more likely playing time….with the Angels, it depends on whether Rendon is healthy (yeah, I know) and whether Schanuel settles in as an everyday player. 

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

He would be a good get but you have to think he’s looking for a place with more likely playing time….with the Angels, it depends on whether Rendon is healthy (yeah, I know) and whether Schanuel settles in as an everyday player. 

I think he'd easily get 500 AB's between 1B, 3B, DH, random OF games. 

I don't really think it's a "loophole," and the Giants aren't the first to do this (as the article itself states). But it does create an interesting situation for a team that wants to pick up Davis: since the Giants are only paying him a little over $1M in termination pay and not the $6.9M arbitration award, I wonder how much he'll want from whoever signs him? Seems unlikely any team would get him for league minimum now, which is what would have happened if the Giants were on the hook.