• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Who gives a shit about pitcher wins in spring training?  Look at his performance.

He's working on things and ST stats do not count. He like Kolarek signed MLB contracts will start season at SLC. Plesac almost got win number 3.

33 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

He's working on things and ST stats do not count. He like Kolarek signed MLB contracts will start season at SLC. Plesac almost got win number 3.

Again, have you actually watched him? He has looked awful and the stats back it up.  Things like that absolutely do matter with a guy like Plesac who's trying to impress. 

21 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Again, have you actually watched him? He has looked awful and the stats back it up.  Things like that absolutely do matter with a guy like Plesac who's trying to impress. 

I watched him pitch 1 game and u are right he has not looked good. He will be at SLC and see what he does there. This again is showing lack of depth in starters but it is ST.

I heard if a player wins ROY, their team receives an extra draft pick. I didn't know that. 

Teams are more likely to start a player's clock now and not send them down at the start of the season for that extra year of control. 

Given that the report is from Heyman you can assume it’s coming straight from Boras and if Boras is actually holding out for a 7year contract for Monty then I hope this shit drags on well into the season because f that

8 hours ago, T.G. said:

I heard if a player wins ROY, their team receives an extra draft pick. I didn't know that. 

Teams are more likely to start a player's clock now and not send them down at the start of the season for that extra year of control. 

This is one of those things that @jsnpritchett would have the answer to. But it’s something like if the player is a top 100 prospect and they start the year on the active roster and win ROTY you get draft pick compensation. So the Angels could get a pick if Schanuel wins. Or the Orioles with Jackson Holiday. 

9 hours ago, T.G. said:

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This is one of those things that @jsnpritchett would have the answer to. But it’s something like if the player is a top 100 prospect and they start the year on the active roster and win ROTY you get draft pick compensation. So the Angels could get a pick if Schanuel wins. Or the Orioles with Jackson Holiday. 

Ha ha. Thanks, Stradling. What you said is more or less part of it, but there are other ways to get a compensation pick, too. For example, Logan O'Hoppe can still get the Angels a comp pick if he finishes in the top 3 in MVP voting this year or next year. 

Here's a pretty good explanation of it: 

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospect-performance-incentive-ppi-eligible-players

Snell has 'strong preference' to play for this club (report)

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-trades-and-signings?t=trades-and-transactions

"I'm hearing that Blake Snell's preference -- strong preference -- is to go to the Angels," Olney said during Thursday's edition of the Baseball Tonight podcast. "There [has] been back-and-forth with that team. That's where I think he's going to land."

Edited by Jay

As much as I dislike the money it is going to take to sign Snell, there's no doubt that it improves the rotation substantially - and not just in the rotation itself, but the depth. Meaning, not only does it replace Silseth with Snell in the rotation, but it replaces whichever shmuck is their first depth starter in AAA (Plesac, Rosenberg, Daniel, Mederos) with Silseth.

In other words, signing Snell would mean:

Snell/Silseth

instead of...

Silseth/Plesac

Edited by Angelsjunky

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d bank on him keeping himself ready while still being weeks behind. 

Yep, that's pretty much where I think he's at, too. Probably physically ready/in shape, but obviously missing the in-game component. 

I will say again that if any team signs him at this point and gives him an opt-out after this season, it'll be unbelievably dumb.  

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

As much as I dislike the money it is going to take to sign Snell, there's no doubt that it improves the rotation substantially - and not just in the rotation itself, but the depth. Meaning, not only does it replace Silseth with Snell in the rotation, but it replaces whichever shmuck is their first depth starter in AAA (Plesac, Rosenberg, Daniel, Mederos) with Silseth.

Snell/Silseth

instead of...

Silseth/Plesac

Is there a cutoff date for when you would have to give draft pick compensation for signing Snell? Or is it if you sign him at any period in 2024 you will forfeit a draft pick? 

also on mlb.com it says the padres will receive a draft pick in the 4th round or later since they exceeded the CBT last year, but later it says the angels would forfeit their second highest draft pick. So would the angels lose their 2nd or their 4th? 

anybody else with insight? 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Snell/Silseth

instead of...

Silseth/Plesac

I do not think Plesac is behind Silseth. Soriano, Wantz I believe could fit in someone in depth. I really like Soriano as starter.

32 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Is there a cutoff date for when you would have to give draft pick compensation for signing Snell? Or is it if you sign him at any period in 2024 you will forfeit a draft pick? 

also on mlb.com it says the padres will receive a draft pick in the 4th round or later since they exceeded the CBT last year, but later it says the angels would forfeit their second highest draft pick. So would the angels lose their 2nd or their 4th? 

anybody else with insight? 

The draft pick loss lasts until this year's draft--so July 14th. 

The Angels would lose their 2nd pick--but it doesn't go to the Padres or anything like that. The Angels just lose it. And mlb.com is correct regarding the compensation the Padres would get if someone signs Snell before July 14th.