• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

34 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If they wanted to spur urgency and create greater balance instead of taking away picks they could simply reward picks to teams losing players.  Yes, you may see more teams be willing to lose players but a glut may actually slow the increase in salaries or even drive them down.  Marvin Miller was smart enough to realize that too many FAs was a bad thing.  But a tiered system of automatic minimum compensation with the potential for extra picks or increased draft and international money would actually be of greater benefit to the team losing the players.... The problem, that would mean paying players on the low end more and the owners don't want that.... Anything but that.  

NBA and NFL seem to have a fairly appropriate structure for free agents and newbies.  Baseball is such a different dynamic though with the sheer number of players and necessary development structure.  And the sheer volume of games.  

To me, the first step in all of this is incorporating intl players into the draft and probably more importantly, a free market for trading draft picks.  I think that would change the entire economic landscape of baseball.  

I think one of the two pitchers sign this weekend. Boras seems to like these weekend deals so they don’t get too much press and attention for being the poor contracts that they are (Chapman signed on a Friday, Belly on a Saturday). And if they don’t sign… then well get f**ked 

7 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

NBA and NFL seem to have a fairly appropriate structure for free agents and newbies.  Baseball is such a different dynamic though with the sheer number of players and necessary development structure.  And the sheer volume of games.  

To me, the first step in all of this is incorporating intl players into the draft and probably more importantly, a free market for trading draft picks.  I think that would change the entire economic landscape of baseball.  

The compensation picks have proven to be a massive gain for teams that get them -- almost always a better value than having the money to throw at FAs.

7 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Let me make a few calls. BRB. 

11 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I wonder if this offseason is the moment when Boras is no longer the super agent.

Unfortunately I doubt it, next off-season he has Soto, Burnes and Bregman to name a few… it’ll be business as normal for him

I respect Votto a ton, but glad he signed elsewhere.

If he wasn’t going back to the Reds, Toronto was perfect.

Now, the Angels still gotta add JDM or Belt.

12 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

Bullet dodged by not signing Votto. That was scary for a bit there!

It was a strange rumor.

A team signing him to an invite for ST would have been a reasonable lotto ticket. I think Votto has hurt himself by not maximizing ST at-bats. 

36 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

What do people think Lorenzen will get? He seems like a no brainer fit. 

I'd guess Cardinals take a look with Gray down. Lorenzen could be a nice SP who is able to shift to the pen. 

Edited by Erstad Grit