• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

Billy Eppler Placed On Ineligible List Through 2024 World Series

By  |  at 

Major League Baseball announced that former Mets general manager Billy Eppler has been placed on the ineligible list, beginning immediately and through the conclusion of the 2024 World Series. Per the announcement, Eppler violated rules regarding “improper use of Injured List placements, including the deliberate fabrication of injuries; and the associated submission of documentation for the purposes of securing multiple improper Injured List placements during the 2022 and 2023 seasons.” The league added that the investigation “concluded that the pattern of conduct was at Mr. Eppler’s sole direction and without any involvement of Club ownership or superiors. MLB considers the matter closed and will have no further comment.”

18 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Does it make any sense that the Angels “remain in contact with” pitchers that Arte has not given approval to pursue?

IMG_7959.jpeg

If in contact or not Boras PR people throw out team names. I would take Montgomery over Snell. 5 years for 170

40 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm actually excited for Mejia to hopefully  be our backup catcher. 

I think there's a pretty realistic chance he gets that, tbh. I would not be surprised if Thaiss winds up being a C/1B/3B guy, or even DFAed/traded with Mejia added. 

Also have a feeling that if Mejia starts the year in AAA, he doesn't last there long and winds up having an opt-out, perhaps even one as soon as end of ST.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

image.png

I'm down if Montgomery signs for something closer to Rodriguez's 4/$80m versus the 6/$150m that MLBTR predicted.
Both going into their age 31 in '24.

I don't think he's getting 6/150 but it's probably going to take something in the middle like 5/120. I'd be ok with that. 

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOL, you're likely right but he's not wrong it could be a good get.  He gets on base and runs the bases well.  Not sure what his story was last year.

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

2200 career MiLB PAs:

.364 OBP and only Ks once every 7 PAs, has.stolen at least 20 bases in a season 

Not bad to work with 

5 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

You are right but looking at his minor league numbers and he fills a need at MI. Cheap add some team will grab him.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/blue-jays-sign-yariel-rodriguez-dfa-otto-lopez.html

"As for the 25-year-old Lopez, he’ll now be traded or placed on outright waivers within the coming week. The right-handed hitter has appeared in the big leagues sparingly over the past two seasons, collecting six singles in ten at-bats. Lopez looked to be on the cusp of breaking through to the majors for a larger opportunity when he batted .297/.378/.415 in 391 Triple-A plate appearances in 2022, but his bat took a sizable step back in 2023, evidenced by a tepid .258/.313/.343 slash in 346 plate appearances at that same level.

Scouting reports on Lopez have touted his plus hit tool and speed, but he has bottom-of-the-scale power, evidenced by the fact that he’s never topped five homers in a season and has just seven long balls in 931 Triple-A plate appearances. He’s swiped 90 bases in 518 minor league games but has only a 70.8% success rate. Lopez has seen time at second base, shortstop, third base and in the outfield, but skeptics question whether he has the arm to play on the left side of the infield.

Because he’s out of minor league options, Lopez would’ve needed to make the Blue Jays Opening Day roster or else be traded elsewhere or placed on waivers (likely following a DFA). The Jays made the move proactively rather than carry Lopez throughout spring training. He’ll now be available to the other 29 clubs via trade or waivers, but any team that acquires him will need to carry Lopez on its own Opening Day roster or else try to pass Lopez through waivers before sending him down to the minors."

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/blue-jays-sign-yariel-rodriguez-dfa-otto-lopez.html

"As for the 25-year-old Lopez, he’ll now be traded or placed on outright waivers within the coming week. The right-handed hitter has appeared in the big leagues sparingly over the past two seasons, collecting six singles in ten at-bats. Lopez looked to be on the cusp of breaking through to the majors for a larger opportunity when he batted .297/.378/.415 in 391 Triple-A plate appearances in 2022, but his bat took a sizable step back in 2023, evidenced by a tepid .258/.313/.343 slash in 346 plate appearances at that same level.

Scouting reports on Lopez have touted his plus hit tool and speed, but he has bottom-of-the-scale power, evidenced by the fact that he’s never topped five homers in a season and has just seven long balls in 931 Triple-A plate appearances. He’s swiped 90 bases in 518 minor league games but has only a 70.8% success rate. Lopez has seen time at second base, shortstop, third base and in the outfield, but skeptics question whether he has the arm to play on the left side of the infield.

Because he’s out of minor league options, Lopez would’ve needed to make the Blue Jays Opening Day roster or else be traded elsewhere or placed on waivers (likely following a DFA). The Jays made the move proactively rather than carry Lopez throughout spring training. He’ll now be available to the other 29 clubs via trade or waivers, but any team that acquires him will need to carry Lopez on its own Opening Day roster or else try to pass Lopez through waivers before sending him down to the minors."

I know skeptics said David Eckstein could not play SS

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

Ok, so how about the other things I highlighted?  He does not seem like a good fit for the Angels. 

I know you get very fixated on specific players, but it sure seems like Lopez is just a guy.  No reason for the Angels to be chasing him.

25 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Despite this, they really could use a true defense-plus veteranish SS at the ready in AAA or one serving as the UT IF on the big league team. Neto gets HBP too often to risk opening up that spot to Luis Rengifo full-time, unless Ron Washington truly works some magic with his SS defense.

The fact that they cut Soto loose leads me to think they likely intend on signing a MLB UT IF still to provide back-up at SS.

Edited by totdprods