• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

52 minutes ago, Chuck said:

As of right now the team doesn't have a good enough backup SS/3B so I say sign Urshela. He should be cheap and maybe he gets back to his old self when he was driving the ball? 

Worst case scenario, he's a great backup defensively who makes good contact... unlike the Andrew Velasquez's of the world that we've been trotting out there when a MIF goes down with an injury.

They also don't have a backup 1st baseman other than Thaiss. I'm pro-Urshela on a cheap deal, but they really need a lefty thumper in the middle of the lineup, so unless they get that, I can't even be optimistic with this teams offense.

One thing is clear, Urshela doesn’t have nearly the power hitting that he had with the Skanks.

His plate patience has never been anything solid too, and decreased as well in 2023.    He relies mainly on BA for OBP.

He is a step up from Fletcher, post-2020, and plays many positions.

Just as long as the one year offer is for no more than a few million.

Edited by Angel Oracle

22 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Rengifo will probably be starting somewhere. If not, he's a pretty damn good utility guy. He'll get plenty of playing time.

starting where? I mean obviously Rendon will go down eventually but Rengifo is the 5th IF on paper right now

1 minute ago, ScottM said:

starting where? I mean obviously Rendon will go down eventually but Rengifo is the 5th IF on paper right now

Anywhere, really. I don't consider Neto a lock for starting SS. We also have an open DH spot, currently.

My point is, he'll get his at bats. He had 445 PA's last year and I'd expect about the same this year. 

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Anywhere, really. I don't consider Neto a lock for starting SS. We also have an open DH spot, currently.

My point is, he'll get his at bats. He had 445 PA's last year and I'd expect about the same this year. 

good point, I just don't think Urshela solves any problems. Stefanic can probably do most of what Urshela does at 1/10 of the price

Just now, ScottM said:

good point, I just don't think Urshela solves any problems. Stefanic can probably do most of what Urshela does at 1/10 of the price

Perhaps. I just like having depth. It's really been the biggest issue this team has had for years.

When the inevitable injuries happen, we need actual solid players to fill in, not crap like Tyler Wade, David MacKinnon, Jack Mayfield etc...

24 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Perhaps. I just like having depth. It's really been the biggest issue this team has had for years.

When the inevitable injuries happen, we need actual solid players to fill in, not crap like Tyler Wade, David MacKinnon, Jack Mayfield etc...

def hear you. something has to be done about the rotation though

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Well that is definitely true, but then you move Rengifo over to 3rd and Drury to 2nd. With Trout, idk. 

Trout has to be in the lineup of he's healthy. Whatever position that comes at is context dependent. But Rendon....I think he should be the DH most days and play 3B on the days Trout needs a rest. And even between DH and 3B, I'm guessing Rendon will require consistent rest as well, which opens up plenty of playing time all around. 

The other thing is Rendon has to hit and be a difference matter, because we know that Drury and Rengifo likely will. 

Edited by Second Base

19 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Trout has to be in the lineup of he's healthy. Whatever position that comes at is context dependent. But Rendon....I think he should be the DH most days and play 3B on the days Trout needs a rest. And even between DH and 3B, I'm guessing Rendon will require consistent rest as well, which opens up plenty of playing time all around. 

The other thing is Rendon has to hit and be a difference matter, because we know that Drury and Rengifo likely will. 

This! 
Not sure why this is even discussed. Rendon is a dh and backup corner infielder at this point. It’s ok if he’s not happy about it, he needs to stay healthy.

37 minutes ago, Second Base said:

These are two majors issues for me.

1. Trout has not done well when DH. That's what got me wondering about the skill set of being a DH.  If that exists, trout may not have it.

2. I think zero of Rendon's injuries have come from 3B. I'm doubtful DH will magically keep him healthy. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

this is an offensive list, tdawg.

offensive because you left off matt duffy. 

Just now, T.G. said:

I thought Gary Sanchez was going to the Pirates?

Oh well... Gary Sanchez is STILL a POS.

same. they just announced it yesterday. something weird is afoot.