• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

3 hours ago, T.G. said:

Can we get a 4th post about Yuki Matsui being close to signing with the Padres, please?

(Reference in Japanese) Nikkan Gendai Digital on December 20, 2023 (JST)

As I read abobe article, I got the impression that Matsui's transfer destination has not yet been determined and is still in the realm of speculation. I will quote part of the article into English.

According to one of our correspondents,
"Matsui seems to have a good impression of the atmosphere of the Cardinals and the city of St. Louis, but the Cubs and Padres are also interested in him. Among them, it seems like that the Padres are more likely than the Cardinals."

"At the WBC, Darvish (Padres) followed up Matsui with a variety of information, not just how to deal with major league-approved ball. Matsui feels strongly that he was helped by Darvish at that time, and adores him."

If the Angels want to compete, they need to gamble on some players. Off season not over but with current roster not impressive. Bellinger had a nice bounce back year after getting away from Dodgers. He was healthy and with help from new hitting coach. If Trout is healthy he will need protection in the lineup. Maybe his broken hand is not completely healed. Arte may not want to spend this off season and wait till next year. I'm just guessing like all of us on AW. Next month will tell what direction halos are going in. 

40 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

If the Angels want to compete, they need to gamble on some players. Off season not over but with current roster not impressive. Bellinger had a nice bounce back year after getting away from Dodgers. He was healthy and with help from new hitting coach. If Trout is healthy he will need protection in the lineup. Maybe his broken hand is not completely healed. Arte may not want to spend this off season and wait till next year. I'm just guessing like all of us on AW. Next month will tell what direction halos are going in. 

There is no question he changed his approach last year to try to make more contact -- he sacrificed power for contact and it worked.  Thing is, despite that his chase rate was almost a career worst as was his walk rate, two things you would have expected to improve not worsen. Maybe more importantly -- his batted ball data all went south -- he got results despite the batted ball stuff.

So one of two things happened.  He got lucky, or he became some "Super-Saiyan" version of David Fletcher.  I would not expect all those things to repeat.  Maybe he finds a way to improve the batted ball stuff or he suddenly starts getting on base at a better clip but the best way to describe his results last year would be "odd" and not likely repeatable.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I think the bigger question is whether Arte views him as the latest shiny new toy….

The Arte factor is the one thing we as fans are completely effed on.  It's why I stopped trying to piece together off-seasons because it seems to be 100% based on whatever his whims are.