• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

13 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

One thing that cannot be overstated enough on this site, is how bad In N Out's fries are. For gods sake make a damn crinkle cut fry and put some seasoning on it.

I “hated” their fries when I compared them to other fries.  I stopped viewing them as fries to be compared to other fries and just accepted that they are a different potato side dish that goes pretty well with their burgers.

Now I am totally fine with them because I view the overall meal from INO to be superior to their competitors.

Plus, you can just go cheese fries, and that fixes things fast.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Sorry, if I have a different opinion than those who think Angels can resign Ohtani or have Yamamoto sign with halos. Many like myself believe a rebuild should be done. 

Against my better judgment, I will take a crack at this as an attempt to show you why you are being annoying.

I am not aware of any Angel fan that isn’t in agreement that the team needs to build the minor leagues, get younger, let the kids play, draft well, and find a way to do a better job at developing players.  This is pursuing exacting what a “rebuild” pursues.

What you seem to be missing is a team doesn’t have to commit to losing to do all that.  You can do all of that and still sign Ohtani and Yamamoto, especially considering that Yamamoto is 25 years old.

The net result is you are “building” (mostly equivalent to “rebuilding) and at the same time at least trying to put a competitive team on the field. . . Which gives you at least a puncher’s chance at a wild card in 2024.  Teams in small markets punt on seasons because they don’t have the financial resources to pay big contracts in questionable years.  Thats just not the Angels, and I am personally glad for that.  Now, you may not get there (postseason) but if your actions to give yourself that puncher’s chance doesn’t really disrupt the “building” of the team, and the owner doesn’t mind spending the money, then there shouldn’t be any focused complaint that the team isn’t punting on multiple season in their rebuild rather than punting.

Now, if you don’t get what I just said, then I retire from trying to have you see that people wanting Yamamoto or Ohtani (or other free agents to fill some holes for 2024) are not arguing against your interest to build and get younger with eyes on better days in a couple of years.

There, I tried.

Edited by Dtwncbad

17 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Against my better judgment, I will take a crack at this as an attempt to show you why you are being annoying.

I am not aware of any Angel fan that isn’t in agreement that the team needs to build the minor leagues, get younger, let the kids play, draft well, and find a way to do a better job at developing players.  This is pursuing exacting what a “rebuild” pursues.

What you seem to be missing is a team doesn’t have to commit to losing to do all that.  You can do all of that and still sign Ohtani and Yamamoto, especially considering that Yamamoto is 25 years old.

The net result is you are “building” (mostly equivalent to “rebuilding) and at the same time at least trying to put a competitive team on the field. . . Which gives you at least a puncher’s chance at a wild card in 2024.  Teams in small markets punt on seasons because they don’t have the financial resources to pay big contracts in questionable years.  Thats just not the Angels, and I am personally glad for that.  Now, you may not get there (postseason) but if your actions to give yourself that puncher’s chance doesn’t really disrupt the “building” of the team, and the owner doesn’t mind spending the money, then there shouldn’t be any focused complaint that the team isn’t punting on multiple season in their rebuild rather than punting.

Now, if you don’t get what I just said, then I retire from trying to have you see that people wanting Yamamoto or Ohtani (or other free agents to fill some holes for 2024) are not arguing against your interest to build and get younger with eyes on better days in a couple of years.

There, I tried.

Plan A sign Ohtani and Yamamoto. If that does not happen what is your Plan B

16 minutes ago, Fake Chow said:

IMHO, it’s difficult to have one foot in the "rebuild" bucket and the other in the "be competitive" bucket.  It sure hasn't worked for us in the past.  I wish Arte would go all in one way or the other.  I'm tired of the Angels being below avg.

I understand the point.  But a real fair comparison would be to consider how many times a strict rebuild (where you are not even trying to win during the rebuild) fails to produce a good team because the prospects don’t work out, the timing in what does develop is not in sync, etc.

To pick apart your analogy, it isnt one foot in the rebuild and one foot in being competitive.  It is be both feet committed to improving your minors, having a path to playing time for emerging players, drafting well and developing players. . . with the difference being the owner doesn’t also simultaneously mandate that the payroll be stripped down to save money during the building.  Instead of having four glaring holes to save money and therefore be terrible, you go ahead and address the holes as responsibly as possible so that the team resembles a possible shot at being competitive.

The Angels have lots of good young players for 2024.  Keep them and let them play.  But the only reason to leave empty holes for 2024 would be to save money.  This team doesn’t have to do that.

Yet if they sign some bodies to fill some holes, you have all kinds of people upset that they should have “rebuilt” (commit to losing?) instead, and it isn’t instead.  It’s in addition to simply to not punt away a season (or more).

We should be very grateful that this team typically does not punt on seasons.  Now whether they win or not is a different story.  Obviously they have not won in recent years.  But that doesn’t mean this BETTER to forgo on filling holes and giving away seasons while you try to improve the overall state of the organization.

Edited by Dtwncbad

What do you guys think of what the Cardinals are doing?  They, like us, need a front of the rotation guy.  Having said that, they have signed two guys, that pitched a combined 275 innings last year.  Obviously there is a ton of value in that over the course of a season.  

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What do you guys think of what the Cardinals are doing?  They, like us, need a front of the rotation guy.  Having said that, they have signed two guys, that pitched a combined 275 innings last year.  Obviously there is a ton of value in that over the course of a season.  

It’s fine if they go out and get a top starter, but now they’ve pretty much backed themselves into a corner where they’ve got to add a front-end starter.

Because you’re cooked if you don’t and you’re offseason ends up being like Wacha, Lynn, and Gibson.