• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Feinsand: Angels are “very interested” in Blake Snell

mmc

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Nobody will agree to pay his entire contract. Maybe like $1 or $2M on a flyer in case he rebounds. The Angels are stuck with their terrible decision.

That is not true. He's got value, but not much. Pitching needy teams that think he can be fixed may pay 1/2 to 2/3 of his contract. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Ohtani had his elbow reconstructed twice.  Nearly every Japanes pitcher in the last 15 years has had to have elbow surgery within their first couple years. So I guess the Angels knew Ohtani was due for a rebuild before they bought him.

You should have just said that because the car analogy didn't make sense, IMO.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Look, you guys only see it as a money issue, it isn't.

When I bought my SLK there was a Ferrari Modena on the showroom floor next to it. When it came to the finance side the salesman was shocked at my credit rating, pointed to the Modena and said, you can afford that. My response was, yes, I can make the payment but I can't afford the $8k brake jobs, $4k in tires, $3,500 oil change and tuneup, and God forbid anything really goes down because an engine rebuild cost over $65k. 

Those two guys are affordable but you can't maintain them and keep the roster updated for eventual pay raises for all of the young talent surrounding them. So they are a Ferrari you can't take out of the garage but a couple times a month. 

And that's why that Modena was being sold as used with low mileage, the owner couldn't afford what he could buy. I signed the papers on my SLK and drove the hell out of it. And when it about wore out I traded it for a newer model. 

You just described the Arte Moreno Angels strategy: Buy the Ferrari, but take it to Bubba's repair shop, and then wonder why it makes a clink-clink-clink sound.

Heres the thing, this is a bad FA class... there isnt a single Guarantee in it including Ohtani.
Its the worst possible time to go ham, but its still also our only option. 
ANY other year i wouldnt want any part of any of these guys, but the fact remains they are the top options at the position so, if not them, who?
I personally still think it would be smarter to go other directions, i just dont think the game justifies over paying or trading on SP anymore, but most here would disagree. 
Heres the thing, youre going to have to choose, you want pitching, great, these are your options as we dont have the farm to pull off too many miracle trades. 

Just now, floplag said:

Heres the thing, this is a bad FA class... there isnt a single Guarantee in it including Ohtani.
Its the worst possible time to go ham, but its still also our only option. 
ANY other year i wouldnt want any part of any of these guys, but the fact remains they are the top options at the position so, if not them, who?
I personally still think it would be smarter to go other directions, i just dont think the game justifies over paying or trading on SP anymore, but most here would disagree. 
Heres the thing, youre going to have to choose, you want pitching, great, these are your options as we dont have the farm to pull off too many miracle trades. 

I don’t think it’s that bad of a free agent class. I think it has a ton of starting pitching depth. It lacks depth in offensive free agents. 

8 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Here's the thing, If the angels want to compete they have to spend! They need one front of the line arm, at minimal 1 middle of the rotation arm with or without Othani.  

Also you have to wonder how much money Othani has made for Arti. 

Depends whether they go 5 or 6. Also depends whether they trade someone. Currently rotation is Sandoval, Detmers, Canning, and Anderson. Does Canning have options? Because Anderson obviously doesn't, and they aren't sending Detmers or Sandoval down. 

49 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t think it’s that bad of a free agent class. I think it has a ton of starting pitching depth. It lacks depth in offensive free agents. 

Also true, but "depth" guys arent moving the needle or the standings are they?  At the top of this class is a very small number of difference makers, the players we actually need, and none of them are free of concerns.  There isnt really a signle guy in the class that was spotless. 
Were in a tough spot, over pay for marginal players and not enough on the farm to make significant trades without taking bad contracts. 
But, we did this to ourselves, no one to blame but the front office lack of intensity in previous years. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Also true, but "depth" guys arent moving the needle or the standings are they?  At the top of this class is a very small number of difference makers, the players we actually need, and none of them are free of concerns.  There isnt really a signle guy in the class that was spotless. 
Were in a tough spot, over pay for marginal players and not enough on the farm to make significant trades without taking bad contracts. 
But, we did this to ourselves, no one to blame but the front office lack of intensity in previous years. 

Yes of course depth guys move the needle in the standings. Snell, Gray, Yamamoto, are all very good starting pitchers that move the needle.  Burnes, Glasnow, Cease and Bieber are all on the trade block and will move the needle. Even guys like Flaherty and Giolito (with a reasonable bounce back) would be better than starting guys we had starting games at times last year. 
I mean this with all due respect, you tend to discredit good players because they aren’t great or because they are highly paid. 

15 minutes ago, angels1963 said:

I think it's much money for Snell, he's a 5 or 6 inning that was really only good for half of last season and I believe the Angels would to give up a draft pick as well. I'd like to see Ohtani resign then go get Eduardo Rodriguez and Jordan Hicks that's it.

Can you lose a top 10 pick now? It used to be they you couldn’t.

8 minutes ago, Halodays said:

Can you lose a top 10 pick now? It used to be they you couldn’t.

You lose your next pick. In the 2nd round. But the other team doesn't get it, as was the case back in 2006-2015 or so.

If the Angels somehow signed Snell and Ohtani, you can reasonably expect the 2010’s all over again (minus 2014).

No to Ohtani.  No to Snell. Build a balanced team and maybe you compete in 2025 if the young guys develop well. At that point you can dip back into the deep end of free agency as Rendons commitment will be close to the end AND you will have a better answer on the youngsters. They are the key.  Without major contributions from the young core, we will be in the same spin cycle of the last decade.

Even if Arte goes to the luxury tax or a bit over, he isn’t going to be in Dodgers/Mets/Yankees/Red Sox territory.  That’s what it’s going to take to fix this team in 2024. I’m not saying he “can’t”, I am saying he “won’t”.

5 minutes ago, HBAngel13 said:

If the Angels somehow signed Snell and Ohtani, you can reasonably expect the 2010’s all over again (minus 2014).

No to Ohtani.  No to Snell. Build a balanced team and maybe you compete in 2025 if the young guys develop well. At that point you can dip back into the deep end of free agency as Rendons commitment will be close to the end AND you will have a better answer on the youngsters. They are the key.  Without major contributions from the young core, we will be in the same spin cycle of the last decade.

Even if Arte goes to the luxury tax or a bit over, he isn’t going to be in Dodgers/Mets/Yankees/Red Sox territory.  That’s what it’s going to take to fix this team in 2024. I’m not saying he “can’t”, I am saying he “won’t”.

I disagree, they need to get a TOR arm, and a MVP Caliber hitter. They will not rebuild while Arte owns the team, they are retooling each year and expect to compete.