• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Managerial Search Thread

BTH

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Rumored Angels Managerial Candidate and Former Skipper Leading for Astros Job

Rumored Angels Managerial Candidate and Former Skipper Leading for Astros Job - Los Angeles Angels (si.com)

Spoiler Alert @Swordsman78, it's not who you think it is.

This is not a dig at Blarg in the least bit.  But I am curious.  Does anybody here actually care who manages the Astros?

I would be hard pressed to find something in my Angel fan existence that I care less about.

On 10/29/2023 at 12:23 PM, BTH said:

Well, to start, you didn’t miss much.

We’ve only heard about candidates. There have been zero reports about actual interviews.

The names that reporters have mentioned as actually being discussed, considered, or as a candidate by the team are:

Gary DiSarcina

Darin Erstad

Benji Gil

Torii Hunter

Ron Roenicke

Tim Salmon

Buck Showalter

Disappointed there are no women on that list.

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

This is not a dig at Blarg in the least bit.  But I am curious.  Does anybody here actually care who manages the Astros?

I would be hard pressed to find something in my Angel fan existence that I care less about.

You are pretty obtuse not to see why I posted the article. 

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Does anybody here actually care who manages the Astros?

Only if they hire Ausmus.

In which case, I love it, as the Astros fans see their starter pulled before the 4th inning in about half their games.

I think an Ausmus-led Astros team finishes below the Angels in the standings.  Which is why I'd love it.

26 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Only if they hire Ausmus.

In which case, I love it, as the Astros fans see their starter pulled before the 4th inning in about half their games.

I think an Ausmus-led Astros team finishes below the Angels in the standings.  Which is why I'd love it.

I could manage Astros to finish over halos after all it has been 8LS.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Erstad or Tori for manager, Roenicke or Ebel as bench coach. 

I’m all for that.

I also wouldn’t blame any of those guys if they didn’t want to take the job and were comfortable with where they’re at.

On 10/29/2023 at 6:57 AM, Ron Mexico said:

Torri Hunter likely too smart to take this job.   Besides, Arte really should have brought him back after that great final season he had with the Halos.  Torri was a huge fan favorite and wanted to come back to the Angels.  Arte made public statements indicating a return was quite possible - that  quickly turned from that to the 'we don't have the money to keep him' front office mantra.  Angels fans were willing to begrudging accept that reality.  Can't keep Torri, fan favorite, a guy. who just had a great season in the field and at the plate - particularly the second half --oh well.

And then Arte signed Josh Hamilton to a long term contract for way too much money.  A guy with substance abuse issue to a long term contract over Torri Hunter -   In a history full of terrible free agent contract signings, Josh Hamilton's contract may be the all time worst -- and WE COULD HAVE BROUGHT BACK TORRI !!!  (Gary Matthews Jr. , Kevin Appier, Vernon Wells, Mo Vaughn (although he did put up decent stats one season), some folks would include Albert Pujols (despite his terrible start with the Angels which got all the 'first impression' attention - Albert actually put up decent numbers during his Halos time - not Cardinals years numbers but seriously - did any one expect that?).

I always liked Arte - he seems above his head now fighting the corporate and major partnership owners flush with cash -  but really felt he did Torri Hunter wrong in that whole situation. I think that may have been the start of Arte losing the support of the fans to low level it is now.  So why would Torri want to come here to work under Arte's ownership/ direction?

Torii Hunter was 37 when he signed with the Tigers. His OPS+ dropped from 122 with the Angels to 115 with the Tigers. He went from a 4.2 oWar to a 3.2 with the Tigers.  His outfield range had been in decline for a while. Moving on from Hunter wasn't a bad move. Making the move to Hamilton was. 

However Hamilton was only 31 and coming off a 141 OPS+ with a 5.0 oWar in Texas. There were a lot on this board that were stoked the Angels had picked up a stud outfielder. Without Lou's archival skills, many here are relieved of the embarrassment of being on the wrong side of history. 

Several people also pointed out Hamilton was trending in the wrong direction at the end of the season before he signed with the Angels (I wasn't one of them). So... there was a group against the signing.