• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Worst organization in professional sports

Taylor

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

I don't equate "worst" with "least popular." In truth, I don't give two shites how popular the Angels are, except as that impacts the quality of the team they field.

The A's prove that you don't need to spend a ton of money to be a competitive franchise. They suck now, but they embrace the natural cycle of things: suck for a few years, be good for a few years. I do think the franchise is slowly going down, but it has still been better than the Angels, while spending a fraction of the money.

For me the "worst organizations" are those that spend a lot of money and still don't reach the postseason. The Angels are arguably the worst in that regard, at least over the last eight years.

Agreed. tHrEe MiLLiOn fAnS mean nothing when the whole organization is garbage.

14 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Agreed. tHrEe MiLLiOn fAnS mean nothing when the whole organization is garbage.

Yup.

We're fans, not share-holders, so for us "value" does not equal profit, it equals team success.

By my accounting, the only franchise that has been as bad as the Angels since 2015 are the Tigers, and their payroll--at least the last few years--has been significantly lower. Ergo, the Angels have been the worst org in baseball since 2015, and by a solid margin.

33 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't equate "worst" with "least popular." In truth, I don't give two shites how popular the Angels are, except as that impacts the quality of the team they field.

The A's prove that you don't need to spend a ton of money to be a competitive franchise. They suck now, but they embrace the natural cycle of things: suck for a few years, be good for a few years. I do think the franchise is slowly going down, but it has still been better than the Angels, while spending a fraction of the money.

For me the "worst organizations" are those that spend a lot of money and still don't reach the postseason. The Angels are arguably the worst in that regard, at least over the last eight years.

As much as we hate the way the Angels are run, this isn't worse than gutting your roster every time it gets expensive solely to alienate your fanbase so you have an excuse to take the team away from them to move them to a city that will fund a new stadium for you.

13 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I still say the Dan Snyder redskins/commanders were solidly worse than the angels under Arte have ever been and also probably the wilpon Mets.  Arte is probably getting close to the Wilpons territory and I’ll hear arguements that he’s as shitty as some of baseballs perennial fucking loser franchises - the pirates, the reds, the royals, the orioles etc.  but we’re still not on Dan Snyder’s level and not quite Wilpons. 

All the teams you mentioned have amazing stadiums and not a makeshift wall in right. Angels lose.

On 9/16/2023 at 10:21 AM, T.G. said:

The Angels suck.

Where they rank in sucking doesn't really matter.

My favorite comedian of all time was Robert Schimmel. He had a joke once about how his daughter went to a "rainbow party", and he asked "what the hell is that?" And his daughter explained that's when a bunch of girls wear different shades of lipstick, and take turns giving BJs to guys at the party, and whoever has the most colors (the guys) at the end wins.

And he asked "is there a loser to this game?"

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

51 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

My favorite comedian of all time was Robert Schimmel. He had a joke once about how his daughter went to a "rainbow party", and he asked "what the hell is that?" And his daughter explained that's when a bunch of girls wear different shades of lipstick, and take turns giving BJs to guys at the party, and whoever has the most colors (the guys) at the end wins.

And he asked "is there a lower to this game?"

I met Schimmel at a benefit for E Street Band keyboardist Danny Frederici at the Troubadour years ago.

He hosted the event and I had read his book Cancer On $5 a Day and told him how much it meant to me as I was going through chemo at the time. We hung out at the front bar and had a long conversation about life, and what was important to us and we bonded in the moment. 

Less than a month later he was killed in a car accident.

I'll never forget that conversation we had for as long as I live.

RIP

5 hours ago, Taylor said:

Cool story, sir.

As the fans we don't give a shit about the owner's bank account, and the team exists for our entertainment.

Yet the owners do not give a shit about you.  Stop going to the games, stop buying merchandise and the owner will be hit in the pocket.

If they are making money than the business is a success.

Edited by stormngt

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Yet the owners do not give a shit about you.  Stop going to the games, stop biying merchandise and the owner will be hit in the pocket.

If they are making money than the business is a success.

@Chuckster70 we need an aw fanfest next spring. let's invite arte to be our guest speaker. all of us can show up in pirates jerseys, brewers hats, and rockies jackets.

8 hours ago, ELEVEN said:

I met Schimmel at a benefit for E Street Band keyboardist Danny Frederici at the Troubadour years ago.

He hosted the event and I had read his book Cancer On $5 a Day and told him how much it meant to me as I was going through chemo at the time. We hung out at the front bar and had a long conversation about life, and what was important to us and we bonded in the moment. 

Less than a month later he was killed in a car accident.

I'll never forget that conversation we had for as long as I live.

RIP

Man, funny enough, about a month give or take before he passed I had a beer with him after a show too. Told him this long winded story I'll spare everyone here from reading (mainly because I'm too lazy to write it all out), and made plans to get together a month or so later when he was back in SoCal for another show. Obviously it never happened.

He was as funny of a comedian as I've ever seen. Was crushed when he passed. But so glad I got to meet him and tell him my story of how I first heard him and stole his jokes when I was a kid.