• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Where will Ohtani play in 2024?

T.G.

Where will Ohtani sign/play in 2024?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will Shohei Ohtani sign with this off season?

24 minutes ago, T.G. said:

King of the blowhards, Jim Bowden said today on MLB Network radio - "The best thing that could happen for baseball is if Shohei signs with the Dodgers and Juan Soto is traded to the Yankees. The worst thing is if Shohei resigns with the Angels."

But that's what baseball wants 

49 minutes ago, FromJapan said:

In response to comments criticizing Ohtani and his agent for not disclosing information regarding his own free agency, a Japanese sports news article introduced Erica Weston's post as follows.

”A reporter for the Angels' local broadcast station who knows Ohtani well, sarcastically defends him.”

Honestly, I feel like Ohtani is using this as a barometer test for how teams will treat him if he joins their organization. He likely wants confidence in how any club will treat him if he decides to pick them. He's testing them and they apparently don't even realize it.

So, here's the thing.

For the most part, the Angels haven't really developed a lot of star players through the draft.  They don't have a real history of developing talented players.  The one's they have developed, they've been able to retain (for the most part) when they hit free agency.  Mike Trout is the classic example.  They also retained Jered Weaver, Tim Salmon, Garret Anderson, Chuck Finley, Howie Kendrick, and Darin Erstad. 

One guy (of somewhat recent times) who left when he became a FA for the first time is Troy Glaus, but Glaus hadn't been productive in his last season in Anaheim due to injuries. Wally Joyner is another guy who left via free agency when he had the opportunity.

Maybe there are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

We've been kind of lucky.  The Angels have; for the most part, been able to retain "their own" stars while they were in the prime of their careers.  Granted, they haven't developed a lot of those, but you get the point.

Even thought Ohtani wasn't drafted, he's someone who began his MLB career as an Angel.  We're in rare territory now.  We are faced with the possibility of losing one of "our own" via free agency while they're still in the prime of their career. 

We're not the A's.  We're not used to dealing with these scenarios. 

Throw in the fact that Ohtani is a once in a generation talent and it makes all of this extra hard.

If Ohtani leaves, I'm not sure how I'll react.  I'll be disappointed for sure, but it's just not something I want to think about.  I hope he stays.  I hope he stays for all the right AND wrong reasons.  He's just one of those guys I really don't want to see in another uniform. 

I'm glad I never had to see Salmon wear another uniform.  I'm glad I won't have to see Trout wear another uniform.  And even though I hated seeing Weaver and Anderson and others in different uniforms, it was understandable - given where they were in their careers.

If Ohtani leaves it will just suck.  There's no other way to look at it.

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

So, here's the thing.

For the most part, the Angels haven't really developed a lot of star players through the draft.  They don't have a real history of developing talented players.  The one's they have developed, they've been able to retain (for the most part) when they hit free agency.  Mike Trout is the classic example.  They also retained Jered Weaver, Tim Salmon, Garret Anderson, Chuck Finley, Howie Kendrick, and Darin Erstad. 

One guy (of somewhat recent times) who left when he became a FA for the first time is Troy Glaus, but Glaus hadn't been productive in his last season in Anaheim due to injuries. Wally Joyner is another guy who left via free agency when he had the opportunity.

Maybe there are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

We've been kind of lucky.  The Angels have; for the most part, been able to retain "their own" stars while they were in the prime of their careers.  Granted, they haven't developed a lot of those, but you get the point.

Even thought Ohtani wasn't drafted, he's someone who began his MLB career as an Angel.  We're in rare territory now.  We are faced with the possibility of losing one of "our own" via free agency while they're still in the prime of their career. 

We're not the A's.  We're not used to dealing with these scenarios. 

Throw in the fact that Ohtani is a once in a generation talent and it makes all of this extra hard.

If Ohtani leaves, I'm not sure how I'll react.  I'll be disappointed for sure, but it's just not something I want to think about.  I hope he stays.  I hope he stays for all the right AND wrong reasons.  He's just one of those guys I really don't want to see in another uniform. 

I'm glad I never had to see Salmon wear another uniform.  I'm glad I won't have to see Trout wear another uniform.  And even though I hated seeing Weaver and Anderson and others in different uniforms, it was understandable - given where they were in their careers.

If Ohtani leaves it will just suck.  There's no other way to look at it.

Is this the longest post you've made? Kudos for going quasi-junky.

Anyhow, I know how you feel on an affective level - I want Shohei to stay. He's great and a lot of fun to watch.

But...I'm not sure it is the best thing for the franchise, beyond the next year or two - and maybe not even that. The Angels have been stuck in a "stars and scrubs" mode for years now. They've got some young talent that is hopefully developing into a handful of Calhouns and Simmons and Hunters...not necessarily stars, but good regulars and even one or two borderline stars in the making. 

The simple fact is that Shohei hogs up a lot of resources...$50M a year or so, for the next dozen or so years. Plus, he's a DH only for at least 2024 and we don't know what sort of pitcher he'll be when he comes back (or for how long). There's a distinct possibility that by 2027 or '28, he's a very expensive DH who is no longer one of the best hitters in the game.

So I'm ambivalent. I want him to stay on an emotional (and purely baseball-watching) level, but think the franchise will probably be better off in the long-run if he signs elsewhere.

Ohtani has explored his options and has narrowed his preferences.  If $ are comparable I believe he will sign to remain with the Angels where he is comfortable and vice versa. He will be loyal to the organization he has flourished with and finish the task of winning a Championship.  

2nd choice I believe are the Dodgers but Angels fans are better so why move up there.

Shrewd move is to rehab with Angels reestablish the Pitching dominance and write in the deal an opt out after 2025 to reassess his options.  That's what I would do if it were my situation.

You guys have made this a fun read, props to all of you who participated, as I really haven't.  I don't have any strong feelings what he will do other than what I said two years ago.  I do have some feelings on what he said at the deadline, but it's not really important moving forward.

Whatever happens, as always I hope the Angels simply work to improve and more importantly in a "worst case" situation, that they not act out of desperation.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You guys have made this a fun read, props to all of you who participated, as I really haven't.  I don't have any strong feelings what he will do other than what I said two years ago.  I do have some feelings on what he said at the deadline, but it's not really important moving forward.

Whatever happens, as always I hope the Angels simply work to improve and more importantly in a "worst case" situation, that they not act out of desperation.

Good thing we have a stable, rational owner who never acts rashly!

1 hour ago, Robrock30 said:

Today December 8th will be the day he announces six years to the day he joined the Angels.  He is a superstitious guy as 8 is a lucky # in Asian Culture akin to # 7 here.

Or he really loves Pujols and wants to honor the day we signed him. That worked out well.....

Edited by James