• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels select Kyren Paris, recall Marte, Ingram, Wantz, Reyes, and Stefanic, Daniel reinstated from 60-day IL, optioned to AAA

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure.  

They’re at 36 right now + 11 on the 60-day IL. So that’s 47.

Loup, Moustakas, Escobar, Cron, Grichuk, and Ohtani will be free agents, so that’s 41.

Easy DFA candidates: Rosenberg, Barría, Reyes, Wallach, Velazquez.

Injured players, who knows what happens: Rodriguez, Suarez, Quijada, Warren.

Then there’s the Stassi situation.

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Actually, thinking about it again, I highly doubt either Fletcher or Walsh gets called up.  I wasn't thinking about them not being on the 40-man.  Since I doubt either will be protected this winter, I don't see any reason to add them back now.

Fletcher at least has hit well at SLC….Walsh is at .200….just doesn’t look like he’ll find his stroke again…

19 minutes ago, BTH said:

They’re at 36 right now + 11 on the 60-day IL. So that’s 47.

Loup, Moustakas, Escobar, Cron, Grichuk, and Ohtani will be free agents, so that’s 41.

Easy DFA candidates: Rosenberg, Barría, Reyes, Wallach, Velazquez.

Injured players, who knows what happens: Rodriguez, Suarez, Quijada, Warren.

Then there’s the Stassi situation.

Stassi's contract expires at the conclusion of next season, with an option for 2025.  I'd release him, for sure. 

15 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Fletcher at least has hit well at SLC….Walsh is at .200….just doesn’t look like he’ll find his stroke again…

He has?

He has a 99 wRC+ in AAA, which is below average.

And he has a 58 wRC+ with a .647 OPS since being demoted back to AAA in July

Fletcher and Stefanic are two that I'd definitely recall.  No team is going to claim Fletcher's deal, so we may as well recall him, have him finish the season, then outright him again.  

Stefanic is going to become a MLFA at season's end, very unlikely that he re-signs with us again, he's more of an Oakland type of player anyway, until they move to Vegas and 10X their revenue streams. 

2 minutes ago, BTH said:

I don’t think you release him now.

Either he comes back in 2024, or you put him on the restricted list and don’t pay him.

Eating 5 and a half million dollars if you're a billionaire is a lot easier than eating 114 million dollars.  That is the difference between releasing Stassi and releasing Rendon.

6 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Eating 5 and a half million dollars if you're a billionaire is a lot easier than eating 114 million dollars.  That is the difference between releasing Stassi and releasing Rendon.

But why release Stassi now when there’s a possibility that you don’t have to pay him at all?

34 minutes ago, BTH said:

He has?

He has a 99 wRC+ in AAA, which is below average.

And he has a 58 wRC+ with a .647 OPS since being demoted back to AAA in July

So a .330 batting average isn’t worth anything? And I was comparing him with Walsh, who has really struggled…

1 hour ago, BTH said:

If the Angels call up Fletcher now and he’s on the roster for the rest of the season, he’ll pass 5 years of service time and can elect free agency (while still getting his full salary) the next time he’s outrighted.

I think they’d prefer to keep him as non-40-man depth heading into next season, since they’re paying him anyway. So he might not get called up for a couple weeks, if at all.

not trying to be snarky with you but man, there are a lot of other more pressing needs ahead of whether or not we keep david bloody fletcher on the 40 man long enough to let him qualify for free agency.

call him up, put him on the 40, let him play, and move on from him, imho.

6 hours ago, OhtaniSan said:

4 pitchers and 1 hitter got claimed.

My best guess on who will replace the 5 claimed guys: Jose Marte, Ingram, Gerardo Reyes, Mederos, Adams

Extra 2 September spots: Herget and Soto/Stefanic

Makes no sense to not bring up Fletcher.  They kept him down to control his service time.  If they wantrd tp straight put release him they could have done that months ago.

31 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Makes no sense to not bring up Fletcher.  They kept him down to control his service time.  If they wantrd tp straight put release him they could have done that months ago.

They still need to keep him down for another week in order to keep his service time under 5 years.

But after that, sure, then bring him up.

46 minutes ago, Tank said:

not trying to be snarky with you but man, there are a lot of other more pressing needs ahead of whether or not we keep david bloody fletcher on the 40 man long enough to let him qualify for free agency.

call him up, put him on the 40, let him play, and move on from him, imho.

I’m not saying this is pressing, but it’s a factor in whether they decide to bring him up or not.

21 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Because Thaiss has done a good job as a reserve catcher for 1/5 of what we'd pay Stassi.

From a roster perspective, that’s fine.

But it makes no financial sense to release Stassi and still pay him the money when there’s a chance that you don’t have to pay him any money.

• mmc changed the title to Who fills the roster void? Kyren Paris selected, Marte called up, Daniel reinstated from 60-day IL, optioned to AAA
2 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

Stefanic is going to become a MLFA at season's end, very unlikely that he re-signs with us again, he's more of an Oakland type of player anyway, until they move to Vegas and 10X their revenue streams. 

No he isn’t.

Stefanic is on the 40-man, so he remains under team control.