• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels select Kyren Paris, recall Marte, Ingram, Wantz, Reyes, and Stefanic, Daniel reinstated from 60-day IL, optioned to AAA

It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure.  The Angels currently have 12 guys on the 60-day IL.  Of those, only Urshela is a free agent at the end of the year--so that's 11 guys who'll have to be added back onto the 40-man roster once the season is over.

Of the guys currently left on the team, Grichuk, Escobar, Cron, and Moustakas are free agents, plus Loup has an option that will almost assuredly be bought out, so we can put him in this camp, too.  So that's five more guys who'll be off the roster.

But that's still a net of 6 guys who'll need to be added back to the 40-man once the season is over--and then, of course, there are guys like Paris who'll need to be added to protect them from the Rule 5 draft. 

(Edited to add Cron to the discussion, since I skipped over him earlier.)

Edited by jsnpritchett

10 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure.  The Angels currently have 12 guys on the 60-day IL.  Of those, only Urshela is a free agent at the end of the year--so that's 11 guys who'll have to be added back onto the 40-man roster once the season is over.

Of the guys currently left on the team, Grichuk, Escobar, and Moustakas are free agents, plus Loup has an option that will almost assuredly be bought out, so we can put him in this camp, too.  So that's four more guys who'll be off the roster.

But that's still a net of 7 guys who'll need to be added back to the 40-man once the season is over--and then, of course, there are guys like Paris who'll need to be added to protect them from the Rule 5 draft. 

So they have 5 spots that just opened on the 40...

Cron is also a free agent, and will likely be gone. So that's 6 guys that need spots. 

But...

Quijada and Warren are likely out for the majority of 2024, as well. Don't know if they retain their 40 man spots. Or at least Warren will not. Stassi may get waived or he may be retiring, if he missed an entire season due to personal or family problems, they may simply come to a settlement, too. 

C-Rod looks like he isn't coming back, so his 40-man spot is likely up. Someone may want to take a flyer, but I bet Angels are done with him. Or at least will try to clear him from the 40-man...Barria is arb eligible, he may be non-tendered. Herget also will be non-tendered. Walsh is already off the roster, but he will not be tendered either. Davis Daniel may also be waived.

Adell and Ward will certainly both be back. Bachman & Joyce as well. Rendon will be back. Suarez as well-- possibly. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Any early thoughts?  They need to replace the 5 guys who got claimed, plus they can add two more tomorrow when rosters expand.

Fletcher?  Walsh?  Mederos?  Herget?  Adams, obviously.

I wonder if Rengifo is going to play OF the rest of the way, with Renfroe gone....Drury at 2b, Moose and Escobar at 3b and Velasquez and Neto (when he's ready) at SS......

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

So they have 5 spots that just opened on the 40...

Cron is also a free agent, and will likely be gone. So that's 6 guys that need spots. 

But...

Quijada and Warren are likely out for the majority of 2024, as well. Don't know if they retain their 40 man spots. Or at least Warren will not. Stassi may get waived or he may be retiring, if he missed an entire season due to personal or family problems, they may simply come to a settlement, too. 

C-Rod looks like he isn't coming back, so his 40-man spot is likely up. Someone may want to take a flyer, but I bet Angels are done with him. Or at least will try to clear him from the 40-man...Barria is arb eligible, he may be non-tendered. Herget also will be non-tendered. Walsh is already off the roster, but he will not be tendered either. Davis Daniel may also be waived.

Adell and Ward will certainly both be back. Bachman & Joyce as well. Rendon will be back. Suarez as well-- possibly. 

Yeah, Daniel seems like a prime candidate to get the boot.  Barris is a good candidate for a non-tender. 

Definitely curious to see what they do with Stassi.  At some point, regardless of whatever the challenges are that he's facing, they have to make a decision about his roster spot. 

Reyes, Rosenberg, Wantz, Herget, Ingram, and Warren are all sort of interchangeable and disposable, too, most likely.

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I wonder if Rengifo  is going to play OF the rest of the way, with Renfroe gone....Drury at 2b, Moose and Escobar at 3b and Velasquez and Neto (when he's ready) at SS......

It wouldn't surprise me if he gets significant time in the OF, especially if Trout remains out for much longer (or just shuts it down altogether).  Even if Rengifo does get plenty of time there, though, I still imagine they'll add Adams, just to have another "true" OF on the team since Renfroe was claimed.  I'd rather see Adams getting time than Grichuk, for sure.

Massive roster turnover again. Not really sure how they’re gonna avoid a situation where they’re signing a bunch of cheap vets again. It’s hard seeing how the formula will be any different next year even with a healthy team and Ohtani here or not.

They need to do a 1-2 year soft rebuild and commit to a youth movement next year - problem is there isn’t a whole lot of youth at the AA/AAA level left to call up. They need to move a guy or two like Sandoval, Drury, Estevez and try to add a couple more MLB-ready youngsters to the mix. 

Wouldn’t be terribly surprised if they also rewarded guys like Preston Palmeiro, Robinson Pina, or Orlando Martinez with cups of coffee.

Cesar Valdez might be an option because he can eat innings. 

Kochanowicz and Kristofak are R5 eligible, as are Swanda, Armstrong and Cáceres. Don’t think any of them are likely to be grabbed in the draft but wouldn’t be terribly surprised to see if one gets added if they feel there’s something there to test in the bigs.

Paris is an obvious 40-man add since he is R5 eligible so I don’t see why not, unless they want him to finish the year in AA and come up later for a bit. Jadiel Sanchez is R5 eligible, but not a likely guy to be claimed or promoted.

I know it’s tempting to add a bunch of guys to the 40, but they also need to be careful to not inadvertently put themselves in a corner where they have to make tough DFAs in a year or two if they hit a logjam.

Edited by totdprods

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Any chance we see Kyren Paris? I know it's doubtful but man I'd like to see some young talent up here in the remaining month of the season rather than the same old retreads. 

Yeah, @Stradling mentioned him earlier.  He needs to be protected this off-season, anyway, so there wouldn't be any harm in adding him now (or once the Rocket City season is over) and just letting him spend some time in big league stadiums, talking to vets, etc., if nothing else.  Give him a few starts at 2B.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Wouldn’t be terribly surprised if they also rewarded guys like Preston Palmeiro, Robinson Pina, or Orlando Martinez with cups of coffee.

Cesar Valdez might be an option because he can eat innings. 

Kochanowicz and Kristofak are R5 eligible, as are Swanda, Armstrong and Cáceres. Don’t think any of them are likely to be grabbed in the draft but wouldn’t be terribly surprised to see if one gets added if they feel there’s something there to test in the bigs.

Paris is an obvious 40-man add since he is R5 eligible so I don’t see why not, unless they want him to finish the year in AA and come up later for a bit. Jadiel Sanchez is R5 eligible, but not a likely guy to be claimed or promoted.

I would be shocked if Swanda gets added.  He's been embarrassing this year.

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he gets significant time in the OF, especially if Trout remains out for much longer (or just shuts it down altogether).  Even if Rengifo does get plenty of time there, though, I still imagine they'll add Adams, just to have another "true" OF on the team since Renfroe was claimed.  I'd rather see Adams getting time than Grichuk, for sure.

I think Trout is probably done for the year....so, I wouldn't be surprised to see Grichuk, Moniak (unless he has to go on the IL) and some combination of Adams, Rengifo and maybe Cabbage....I guess they could call up Phillips, though he has been terrible with the bat at SLC....A missed opportunity for Adell.....

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I think Trout is probably done for the year....so, I wouldn't be surprised to see Grichuk, Moniak (unless he has to go on the IL) and some combination of Adams, Rengifo and maybe Cabbage....I guess they could call up Phillips, though he has been terrible with the bat at SLC....A missed opportunity for Adell.....

Forgot about Phillips, but, yeah, I'd be surprised if they went down that road again.  No reason to.

Kyren Paris has been a much better player in the second half and is 6 stolen bases away from 50 SB which would give the Halos two prospects with 50 or more stolen bases this season. Nelson Rada has 53! 

Paris has an .810 OPS and .393 OBP with 14 HR and 44 SB on the season and has raised his BA to .255 after a solid July and August.