• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels waive Moore (claimed by Cleveland), Giolito (claimed by Cleveland), Lopez (claimed by Cleveland), Grichuk (not claimed), Renfroe (claimed by Cincinnati), Leone (claimed by Seattle)

mmc

48 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Yes, I'm sure.  If no one claims them, they're released and free to sign wherever they want.

45 minutes ago, mmc said:

Revocable waivers aren't a thing anymore

Thanks, T.G. and mmc!

So how were the Angels able to place Anderson on waivers last week and still keep him?

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Weirdly, I kind of like all this. And I’m not a huge fan of Perry. 

They aren’t doing the usual thing where they deny they’re out of it way past the point of where it’s obvious. This enables a better draft pick if/when Ohtani walks. Resets luxury tax so they can do it again next year without incurring second-year penalties. And I think for some of these players, getting an opportunity to go to a contender is favorable for them (and their pending free agency) which is a player-forward slant. It’s opening time up for evaluation of 2024 depth and players. 

I think it’s more forward-thinking than we’ve usually seen. 

That would be nice if those were the reasons they were doing it. But it’s not. Arte doesn’t want to pay the tax this year and is pulling this stunt. There is no forward thinking plan to go over the tax in future years, it was a one time Ohtani’s last dance go for it moment for Arte and now that’s it’s over he’s being classic Arte in how cheap he is just like in years past when he didn’t want to pay $500k appearance bonuses, cut travel expenses, plus so many other examples from former players/employees that it isn’t trolling Arte really is a cheap bastard. 

30 minutes ago, BTH said:

Thanks, T.G. and mmc!

So how were the Angels able to place Anderson on waivers last week and still keep him?

21 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Correction... I believe if no one claims the players, they can remain on the roster.  That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.

Correct.  This isn't the same as DFAing someone.

13 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

That would be nice if those were the reasons they were doing it. But it’s not. Arte doesn’t want to pay the tax this year and is pulling this stunt. There is no forward thinking plan to go over the tax in future years, it was a one time Ohtani’s last dance go for it moment for Arte and now that’s it’s over he’s being classic Arte in how cheap he is just like in years past when he didn’t want to pay $500k appearance bonuses, cut travel expenses, plus so many other examples from former players/employees that it isn’t trolling Arte really is a cheap bastard. 

By not paying the tax, they 1) get a better comp pick if Ohtani walks and 2) reset their luxury tax status for next year, so they don’t incur second-year penalties 

Kinda pointless paying the tax this season at this point, so if you can avoid that, why not? He was fine paying it at the deadline and would’ve been fine paying it if they were contending still…

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Weirdly, I kind of like all this. And I’m not a huge fan of Perry. 

They aren’t doing the usual thing where they deny they’re out of it way past the point of where it’s obvious. This enables a better draft pick if/when Ohtani walks. Resets luxury tax so they can do it again next year without incurring second-year penalties. And I think for some of these players, getting an opportunity to go to a contender is favorable for them (and their pending free agency) which is a player-forward slant. It’s opening time up for evaluation of 2024 depth and players. 

I think it’s more forward-thinking than we’ve usually seen. 

I am more of a Perry fan than you (for now). I see these as shrewd moves that will help optimize things going forward.  If the Rays or Dodgers did this, they would be lauded for their creativity.  This speaks to Perry’s tendency to cut losses quickly - a great trait that we are not used to as halo fans. 

Unfortunately the optics around these moves are not good.  That said, we are already under general scrutiny for the Ohtani situation so we might as well do what’s best for the team regardless of media blowback. 

If we knew more about the direction of the team next year (ownership, Ohtani, retool, etc…) it would be easier to stomach these out of the box moves.  Even though this makes a lot of sense, it just exacerbates the overall chaos. 

IMG_9359.JPG

13 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

How is this thread 11 pages...geez...

Where are the poker players in this thread?  Who understand that money in the pot is already gone. And each action is a new independent decision.

Perry made a huge bluffing/probing raise and got re-raised. He's correct to fold here, even for a small amount.

Yes, it's embarrassing, but it's the right play to try and get under the tax level. Not for the benefit of Arte's wallet, but for the benefit of keeping your over-tax count at zero, for potential future flexibility for the franchise.

1 hour ago, IheartLA said:

It was explained clearly to you and yet you can't understand the motivation came from the GM's office, trying secure the best result if Ohtani walks.

Why are you so dead set on being wrong? 

Just now, Hubs said:

This didn't come from the GM office. This came from Arte, and Perry is doing what he is told. Hoping to keep his job. I doubt it will happen.

You think Arte understands the CBA as it relates to free agency compensation? 

No, he doesn't. This was a Minasian move.