• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels waive Moore (claimed by Cleveland), Giolito (claimed by Cleveland), Lopez (claimed by Cleveland), Grichuk (not claimed), Renfroe (claimed by Cincinnati), Leone (claimed by Seattle)

mmc

At one time, wasn’t the waiver process a bit more secretive? Didn’t teams put players on waivers all the time just to gauge trade interest and then pull them off if somebody made a claim? 

Obviously this isn’t what is happening here…

7 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

At one time, wasn’t the waiver process a bit more secretive? Didn’t teams put players on waivers all the time just to gauge trade interest and then pull them off if somebody made a claim? 

Obviously this isn’t what is happening here…

Yes, there was a time there was no Twitter, or Rotoworld or even Angelswin and teams did shit that nobody cares about. Back then a sports reporter printed, Joe Labronsky was picked up off of waivers and five people said, damn, I liked Joe, to no one in particular. And that was the end of it.

So... tuned in to the beginning of "Power Alley" on mlb network radio this morning with Jim Duquette and Mike Ferrn.  The Angels were the lead, of course.

Ferin called the move "shocking" - although he understood why they did it. Duquette went off a bit.  He feels it impacts the integrity of the post season.  He elaborated on that... a few points - the teams in the play-off hunt who face the Angels are going to benefit.  Team on the play-off bubble who didn't do anything at the deadline (like the Reds and Marlins) could benefit from picking up some of these players.  He doesn't like that they can be rewarded now.  He also lambasted Arte Moreno and said this is why the Angels haven't been to the post-season since 2014.  He did use the phrase "laughing stock." I think it's the first time I actually heard someone in the baseball industry use that specific term.  He felt the commissioner should step in.  Ferin thought that wasn't likely. Those are just a few highlights...

Even though teams have put players on waivers in August before, they were revocable waivers.  These moves are irrevocable.  The fact that the Angels put six players on irrevocable waivers at the same time seems a bit unprecedented. 

All that being said, it's kind of funny that the players the Angels put on waivers are the same players many here have been complaining about for their lack of production (in most cases).

I understand why fans are upset.  It's yet another example of the Angels making headlines for something happening off the field (even though it impacts the on the field play). 

I find it interesting. Nothing to lose sleep over for me.  That being said, I do wish Arte would sell the team.   The Angels aren't much fun right now.

Weirdly, I kind of like all this. And I’m not a huge fan of Perry. 

They aren’t doing the usual thing where they deny they’re out of it way past the point of where it’s obvious. This enables a better draft pick if/when Ohtani walks. Resets luxury tax so they can do it again next year without incurring second-year penalties. And I think for some of these players, getting an opportunity to go to a contender is favorable for them (and their pending free agency) which is a player-forward slant. It’s opening time up for evaluation of 2024 depth and players. 

I think it’s more forward-thinking than we’ve usually seen. 

34 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Even though teams have put players on waivers in August before, they were revocable waivers.  These moves are irrevocable.  The fact that the Angels put six players on irrevocable waivers at the same time seems a bit unprecedented. 

You probably don’t know the answer to this, but are we sure that they aren’t revocable waivers?

Cause Anderson went on waivers, yet the Angels just kept him without removing him from the roster or anything. For normal irrevocable waivers, they would’ve had to outright him after he went unclaimed.

2 minutes ago, BTH said:

You probably don’t know the answer to this, but are we sure that they aren’t revocable waivers?

Yes, I'm sure.  If no one claims them, they're released and free to sign wherever they want.

36 minutes ago, T.G. said:

You do realize why they are irrevocable? They are chosing to let go of these guys regardless of whether they get claimed or not.

You only put a player on revokeable if you are trying to lure a trade. No trades can be made right now so the only avenue for any gain is salary relief. And that timetable is short since a team can pluck a player off of waivers before the deadline for the playoffs but not after.

But go ahead and listen to some blowhard that needs people to listen to them regardless of whether they are relating facts or just blowing smoke up everyone's ass. 

6 minutes ago, BTH said:

Cause Anderson went on waivers, yet the Angels just kept him without removing him from the roster or anything. For normal irrevocable waivers, they would’ve had to outright him after he went unclaimed.

Revocable waivers aren't a thing anymore

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You do realize why they are irrevocable? They are chosing to let go of these guys regardless of whether they get claimed or not.

Yes. I know why.  It's still surprising.

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You only put a player on revokeable if you are trying to lure a trade. No trades can be made right now so the only avenue for any gain is salary relief. And that timetable is short since a team can pluck a player off of waivers before the deadline for the playoffs but not after.

I don't think anyone has ever put a player on revokeable waivers.  Is that like some sort of woke waiver wire? 

And I understand the difference. You can save the speech.

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

But go ahead and listen to some blowhard that needs people to listen to them regardless of whether they are relating facts or just blowing smoke up everyone's ass. 

I read the comments of a blowhard every day on this forum.  That doesn't mean I agree with him all the time.  Same goes for the guys on MLB network radio.  I just posted what they talked about.  Never said I agree with them. 

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

So... tuned in to the beginning of "Power Alley" on mlb network radio this morning with Jim Duquette and Mike Ferrn.  The Angels were the lead, of course...Ferin called the move "shocking" - although he understood why they did it. Duquette went off a bit.  He feels it impacts the integrity of the post season.  He elaborated on that... a few points - the teams in the play-off hunt who face the Angels are going to benefit.  Team on the play-off bubble who didn't do anything at the deadline (like the Reds and Marlins) could benefit from picking up some of these players.  He doesn't like that they can be rewarded now.  He also lambasted Arte Moreno and said this is why the Angels haven't been to the post-season since 2014.  He did use the phrase "laughing stock." I think it's the first time I actually heard someone in the baseball industry use that specific term.  He felt the commissioner should step in.  Ferin thought that wasn't likely. Those are just a few highlights...

I like Duquette but I think he is a little over the top on this....whether you agreed with the "all in" at the deadline, these moves make sense for where we are now....And I will say this, Duquette didn't think the "all in" was a bad idea at the deadline but Jim Bowden did.....Duquette and Bowden host a Sunday morning show on MLB radio....Bowden, who is full of crap on a lot of things, was dead on this time....He predicted that the Angels would keep Ohtani and go all in with a bad trade, then get chewed to pieces by their August schedule....Even if you are frequently full of it, you can be right, I guess....

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I like Duquette but I think he is a little over the top on this....whether you agreed with the "all in" at the deadline, these moves make sense for where we are now....And I will say this, Duquette didn't think the "all in" was a bad idea at the deadline but Jim Bowden did.....Duquette and Bowden host a Sunday morning show on MLB radio....Bowden, who is full of crap on a lot of things, was dead on this time....He predicted that the Angels would keep Ohtani and go all in with a bad trade, then get chewed to pieces by their August schedule....Even if you frequently full of it, you can be right, I guess....

I don't have any issues with what Minasian has done to this point.  I liked that they went "all in."  It didn't work out.  That's baseball.  It happens.  I think most people know that a general rule about life is that if you're not willing to fail, you're not willing to succeed.

22 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Yes. I know why.  It's still surprising.

Not really. The Angels have really no use for these guys other than bodies on the field in September but they are blocking giving the minor league players a look. So clearing out some bench space for the kids makes more sense than having a bunch of veterans playing for nothing.

If a few of them are lucky they may get picked up so it's actually better for them rather than grinding out innings for no purpose. The rest can go play golf. My guess is when he comes off the IL, Cron is sent golfing. 

Just now, Blarg said:

Not really. The Angels have really no use for these guys other than bodies on the field in September but they are blocking giving the minor league players a look. So clearing out some bench space for the kids makes more sense than having a bunch of veterans playing for nothing.

If a few of them are lucky they may get picked up so it's actually better for them rather tna grinding out innings for no purpose. The rest can go play golf. My guess is when he comes off the IL, Cron is sent golfing. 

Curious to see who comes up to replace these guys considering we’ve already kinda scraped AA and AAA for most of the interesting kids.

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If a few of them are lucky they may get picked up so it's actually better for them rather than grinding out innings for no purpose. The rest can go play golf. My guess is when he comes off the IL, Cron is sent golfing. 

Surprising to me.

I understand why they did it.  I don't have an issue with it.  It just wasn't something I expected.  That's all.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Curious to see who comes up to replace these guys considering we’ve already kinda scraped AA and AAA for most of the interesting kids.

The Angels are holding try outs at the stadium today at 1 p.m.  Grab your glove.