• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Podcast - Episode 18

Chuck

17 minutes ago, TroutBaseball said:

Victor made reference to some locker room quotes from Rendon.  Tell me more! What was said?

Edit: the answer is in this thread

What's funny is Victor never saw that thread. So the people he's talked to about Rendon and the folks that @NJHalo and I referenced are two different sets of MLB people. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

What's funny is Victor never saw that thread. So the people he's talked to about Rendon and the folks that @NJHalo and I referenced are two different sets of MLB people. 

There were plenty of things on there we discussed on the site.  That’s what makes it so great

8 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yep, we'll definitely get him on. 

We plan on having Tim Mead and an ex player come on soon too. 

I cannot wait for Tim Mead because he was with the organization for 40-years before stepping down to be the President of the MLB Hall of Fame. Then after a brief time in Cooperstown and when Covid hit, he retired so he can be close to his family, and especially his grandson in So. Cal. 

He's got a TON of stories. 

Tim's an Outstanding Guy!

Great episode boys.  Love to hear victors passion for our dumb ass halos.  

I do still disagree that they should try an embark on a tear down rebuild.  It doesn’t make sense to me.  All of their worthwhile assets are basically rookies.  Sure, you can trade Rengifo, and Sandoval.  Go ahead and add Canning to that.  But what are they getting back here?  I don’t think much that will help the rebuild.  Plus you are talking about *controlled* assets.  So what are we talking about here? Trout? Even if you got him to accept a trade.  He’s not nearly as valuable to anyone else as he is to us.  And he never will be.  We’re talking about a guy that has missed significant time basically every season since 2017.  And on top of that this year he may have really started showing real decline.  I doubt you could do much to jump start a “rebuild” even if you trade him.  It just doesn’t make sense to me.  And he wants to keep Minasian around! 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

they’ve just got to press on building around the young guys.  And Trout.  And hopefully Ohtani.  But, with or without him.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

On 8/25/2023 at 7:59 PM, UndertheHalo said:

Great episode boys.  Love to hear victors passion for our dumb ass halos.  

I do still disagree that they should try an embark on a tear down rebuild.  It doesn’t make sense to me.  All of their worthwhile assets are basically rookies.  Sure, you can trade Rengifo, and Sandoval.  Go ahead and add Canning to that.  But what are they getting back here?  I don’t think much that will help the rebuild.  Plus you are talking about *controlled* assets.  So what are we talking about here? Trout? Even if you got him to accept a trade.  He’s not nearly as valuable to anyone else as he is to us.  And he never will be.  We’re talking about a guy that has missed significant time basically every season since 2017.  And on top of that this year he may have really started showing real decline.  I doubt you could do much to jump start a “rebuild” even if you trade him.  It just doesn’t make sense to me.  And he wants to keep Minasian around! 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

they’ve just got to press on building around the young guys.  And Trout.  And hopefully Ohtani.  But, with or without him.  

Even if not a complete major league roster rebuild, the bigger picture would be the need to rebuild the baseball operations side of the Angels organization from the bottom up.  Significantly more than just talking about the current roster.  The same ole losing each year is just a symptom.  Victor referred to this in the podcast.

An example (although not exactly what Victor was referring to) would be a trip down memory lane to the Autry years.  Our beloved Halos had a few winning seasons scattered here and there, but mostly disappointment/losing.  Gene liked shiney objects (Reggie, etc) similar to Arte and put an arguably similarlly half hearted focus on the farm, organizational depth, lack of an "Angels way" from bottom to top, etc.  The relatively weak depth of quality young players put the Angels at a disadvantage when injuries occurred and for trade opportunities.  Later, Jackie took the reigns when Gene became less able.  Jackie later sold the team to Disney.  Disney hired some baseball people to run the baseball operations side of the business as Disney knew nothing about baseball.  Disney stayed out of the baseball operations related decisions.  Then a handful of years go by, 2002 WS happens, the baseball organization is healthy from bottom to top, and our Halos have the most consistently winning years in Angels baseball history.  This was the result of baseball people running baseball operations and ownership staying out of the way (including Moreno for the first few years after buying the team from Disney).  Unfortunately, the more Moreno's fingerprints were on baseball operations related decisions that should have continued to be solely delegated to the baseball people, the sicker the organization became from bottom to top which has resulted in what us fans have seen in recent years (consistent losing).

Another example of good that can come from rebuilding "baseball operations" side of an organization even if the major league roster did not have a complete teardown/rebuild would be when the current Dodgers ownership group bought the Dodgers from Frank McCourt.  I believe Arte could rebuild the Angels baseball organization in a similar way (even if not having a complete rebuild of the major league roster)...  if Arte wanted to...  This would require an increased focus on bottom to top organizational health rather than predominantly focusing on shiney marketing possibilities for the major league club.  The irony is that this bigger picture thinking would likely result in the best chance of rebuilding a "consistently" winning major league team once again.

This is the way I hope Arte will build around the current core of major league players.