• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani tears UCL, won't pitch again this season

mmc

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wouldn't pay that much. I'd basically offer him a home for the next couple of years to play DH and see if he can pitch again. Who's going to offer Ohtani a big contract right now? Take it or leave it kind of thing. Right now they're paying him $30 million to pitch and DH, so offer him $20, I think that's generous.

It would be a good story for the team, the Ohtani comeback, etc.

Then offer him the same $30 million per for the next 2 seasons.

5 hours ago, Chico said:

That's what happens when you try to have three guys put the entire team on their back Three guys who are 28, 32 and 33. First the 33 year old goes down for the season, then the 32  year old, (like last year) leaving the 28 year old pitching and hitting, trying to keep the team afloat. They over-used Ohtani  as an anchor. But he's only human. The season is lost and they should completely shut Ohtani down to avoid further injury. But they won't.

The Angels are a cursed organization. Cursed with stupidity and bad luck and now the worst owner in MLB. They may have ruined Ohtani by trotting him out as a pitcher bc of their extreme need for uality pitching, even as the season lies in tatters. (again) The warning signs were there....he has been sitting out with exhaustion and finger blisters lately. The team didn't need him as a pitcher. He's a good, not great pitcher, but the Angels' pitching staff is dog**** and they need to keep up the charade of being in playoff contention, even though they're 61-67. How sad. He should not pitch again.

When did being tired and blisters lead to tommy John surgery? And we were just supposed to shut Ohtani down when there were no indications of a UCL tear until he had a drop in velocity and had to be pulled from the game. 

man I get this is super unfortunate but let’s be a little reasonable

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

We still don’t know the extent of the injury but I feel confident he can be an everyday DH and he’s really freaking good at that. 

If he does end up needing surgery and does the same thing he did last time (i.e., keeping hitting this year, then have the surgery in the off-season), he'd still likely need until at least early-to-mid May before he's able to DH.

I'm wondering if he just goes ahead and gets the surgery ASAP this time if he needs it.  This is obviously a lost season for the Angels at this point and he has proven all he needs to as a hitter.  Getting the surgery now/soon would give him and any team interested in signing him a better idea of how extensive the damage is and how long the recovery might take.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

If he does end up needing surgery and does the same thing he did last time (i.e., keeping hitting this year, then have the surgery in the off-season), he'd still likely need until at least early-to-mid May before he's able to DH.

I'm wondering if he just goes ahead and gets the surgery ASAP this time if he needs it.  This is obviously a lost season for the Angels at this point and he has proven all he needs to as a hitter.  Getting the surgery now/soon would give him and any team interested in signing him a better idea of how extensive the damage is and how long the recovery might take.

Ohtani wants to break the AL home run record, and prove that Ohtani should have been MVP last year.   My$ is that he finishes the year, has the surgury in the offseason, and just DH in 2024.   He likes playing baseball more than he likes money.

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's an interesting situation, made more complicated by his impending free agency.  If was signed beyond this year, it would be an obvious choice for him to have surgery now (if that's what is needed) rather than wait.  If he needs surgery and continues to play instead what does that tell us?

4 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Ohtani wants to break the AL home run record, and prove that Ohtani should have been MVP last year.   My$ is that he finishes the year, has the surgury in the offseason, and just DH in 2024.   He likes playing baseball more than he likes money.

Do you mean the Angels HR record?  Because there's no way he's going to break Judge's record now.  Also, that wouldn't "prove" anything about last year's MVP race, even if he did break it. 

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

If he needs surgery and continues to play instead what does that tell us?

It tells us he's crazy. I'm not a doctor but doesn't it seem possible that swinging a bat full-speed can exacerbate a torn ligament in the elbow?

I think at some point the GM steps in and shuts him down regardless of his wishes.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I'm not a doctor but doesn't it seem possible that swinging a bat full-speed can exacerbate a torn ligament in the elbow?

I don't know and I'm not going to pretend like I do.

3 minutes ago, T.G. said:

It's an interesting situation, made more complicated by his impending free agency.  If was signed beyond this year, it would be an obvious choice for him to have surgery now (if that's what is needed) rather than wait.  If he needs surgery and continues to play instead what does that tell us?

Honestly not sure.  I guess you could say that he just loves baseball, doesn't want to let down his teammates, etc.--but I can't really imagine anyone on the Angels being mad or disappointed in him if he gets the surgery right away.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

It tells us he's crazy. I'm not a doctor but doesn't it seem possible that swinging a bat full-speed can exacerbate a torn ligament in the elbow?

I think at some point the GM steps in and shuts him down regardless of his wishes.

He finished out 2018 as DH after the torn ligament was diagnosed....and he played most of 2019 as a DH after he'd had the surgery....

Talked to a guy who is an orthopedic surgeon today. He thinks it's likely that Ohtani is done as a pitcher, but he says it's not impossible he comes back to pitch. I imagine he probably moves to the outfield after he recovers from TJ if necessary. I think he'd be pretty good out there if he starts playing out there regularly and that brings more value than just DHing. 

2 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Talked to a guy who is an orthopedic surgeon today. He thinks it's likely that Ohtani is done as a pitcher, but he says it's not impossible he comes back to pitch. I imagine he probably moves to the outfield after he recovers from TJ if necessary. I think he'd be pretty good out there if he starts playing out there regularly and that brings more value than just DHing. 

I would think he would need much more information to make such a decision/comment on his future. 

29 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Do you mean the Angels HR record?  Because there's no way he's going to break Judge's record now.  Also, that wouldn't "prove" anything about last year's MVP race, even if he did break it. 

He cant hit 18 HRs in the next six weeks?

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

No way he’s going to see enough pitches to hit if he is still hitting after this injury. I’m not sure why a team would pitch to him. 

Because he's likely to be hitting with the bases empty?

15 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Two likely choices are DH/closer or RF.

48 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Ohtani wants to break the AL home run record, and prove that Ohtani should have been MVP last year.   My$ is that he finishes the year, has the surgery in the offseason, and just DH in 2024.   He likes playing baseball more than he likes money.

He would have to hit 19 home runs in 34 games. As is they are talking about not bringing him on the road trip so he can get a second opinion on his elbow. If anyone could put up those numbers, Ohtano could, if his right elbow can handle the strain. That is a big if. But it would be a hell of a story, Ohtani breaks Judge's record with one arm in a sling.