• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani tears UCL, won't pitch again this season

mmc

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

The issue with doing this, though, is that in all likelihood, he's not going to pitch at all next season and who knows about '25. So you're paying him $40M/year to be a DH, but you're now without your "ace". Do you just go with a 5-man rotation of Detmers, Sandoval, Anderson, Canning, and Silseth? If not, then you'd need to trade for or sign a starter who would be an upgrade. 

I do get that.

Just go that extra over the tax threshold and push to sign Yamamoto and then trade Anderson while eating at least half of the remaining $26 million?

7 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Pretty miserable stuff fellas.  What can you say.  Huge set back for probably the best player any of us will ever see.  Somehow the Angels are more brutal to follow every year this goes on.  This is like the 4th time this season I’ve earnestly felt they’ve hit rock bottom.  Just an unbelievable disaster of a baseball club. 

Only good thing is the chance to improve draft lottery odds.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I do get that.

Just go that extra over the tax threshold and push to sign Yamamoto and then trade Anderson while eating at least half of the remaining $26 million?

Well if your going to a

improve the rotation by adding someone like that- somebody’s got to go

13 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

The issue with doing this, though, is that in all likelihood, he's not going to pitch at all next season and who knows about '25. So you're paying him $40M/year to be a DH, but you're now without your "ace". Do you just go with a 5-man rotation of Detmers, Sandoval, Anderson, Canning, and Silseth? If not, then you'd need to trade for or sign a starter who would be an upgrade. 

image.gif

9 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I wouldn't pay that much. I'd basically offer him a home for the next couple of years to play DH and see if he can pitch again. Who's going to offer Ohtani a big contract right now? Take it or leave it kind of thing. Right now they're paying him $30 million to pitch and DH, so offer him $20, I think that's generous.

It would be a good story for the team, the Ohtani comeback, etc.

I still don't entertain any offer from the Angels, if I'm Ohtani.  I take the salary hit, and go to a contender.  A team that has actually made the Playoffs more than once in the last decade.

If it's all about Winning for him, I get out of Dodge as quickly as I can, because that ain't happening here.  His term with the Angels basically ended with an injury that possibly crippled his career.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Lol that we are so low that a player possibly needing TJ surgery is catching a break. Sadly, it’s true though. 

The injury is unfortunate but it's a break for the Angels in the sense that they avoided signing Ohtani to a half-billion-dollar contract a month before he blew out his elbow.

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

in 2014 he played all of 8 games in the outfield for Nippon Ham Fighters. He is not an outfielder.

Thanks for confirming that RF is not a totally new position.

I have seen players transition from infield to outfield, pitcher to outfield, just about every position to 1b.

Sorry but i am not buying "he can't  do it argument".

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

The injury is unfortunate but it's a break for the Angels in the sense that they avoided signing Ohtani to a half-billion-dollar contract a month before he blew out his elbow.

I fully agree but it sounds really weird to say it’s a break. 

16 minutes ago, SoCalDucksFan said:

I still don't entertain any offer from the Angels, if I'm Ohtani.  I take the salary hit, and go to a contender.  A team that has actually made the Playoffs more than once in the last decade.

If it's all about Winning for him, I get out of Dodge as quickly as I can, because that ain't happening here.  His term with the Angels basically ended with an injury that possibly crippled his career.

That's fine. I wonder if the "contenders" still want him, or if he'll end up in KC because they offered $1 million more than the Angels.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

We still don’t know the extent of the injury but I feel confident he can be an everyday DH and he’s really freaking good at that. 

Fair enough but who knows when or even if he'll return to his 2023 form.