• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Why a winning record matters (this year)

On 8/13/2023 at 9:17 AM, Chico said:

The acquisition of Cron and Grichuk, two former pre-Perry Minasian Angels, to me had Moreno's stamp on it.

No chance those were Arte’s idea. 

Grichuk was gone quickly so I certainly don’t think he rose to the level to become an Arte favorite, particularly since it was during the time when the Angels were abandoning the farm system. 

And Cron was certainly a useful player in his first tour with the Angels but not enough of a difference maker for him to be on Arte’s wish list. 

They got Grichuk to replace Ward (injured on 7/29) and they got Cron because that they realized on 7/22 that Rendon wasn’t coming back soon and Escobar wasn’t as good as they hoped. The Rockies trade was on 7/30. 

30 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Don't worry, Rendon will be back next year sometime. They should have the internal bleeding thing cleared up by then. Better equip him with some body armor going forward.

Years ago I took a nasty fall while mountaineering in Argentina.  Hiked out three days with a huge hematoma and bone chips on my shin.  But Rendon can’t swing a bat for nearly a quarter million per game.  Uh huh.  Someone isn’t trying too hard.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:41 PM, RenoHalo said:

It’ll be reminiscent of Tim Salmon’s 299 HR. 

Actually Tim Salmon's home run tally is kind of cool considering he is the only player to finish his career at 299. It's almost a Price is Right number, undercutting the .300 crowd and being one notch better than a lesser total.

Okay, I'm reaching. I really did want to see him hit 300 and he had a couple shots that just came up short his last few at bats. I'd still take Salmon over a score of outfielders not named Trout or Guerrero that played the outfield for the Angels. 

36 minutes ago, LaPalma said:

Years ago I took a nasty fall while mountaineering in Argentina.  Hiked out three days with a huge hematoma and bone chips on my shin.  But Rendon can’t swing a bat for nearly a quarter million per game.  Uh huh.  Someone isn’t trying too hard.

I'm calling Bullshit on this.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Don't worry, Rendon will be back next year sometime. They should have the internal bleeding thing cleared up by then. Better equip him with some body armor going forward.

There will be plenty of at bats at DH next year to try to keep him healthy. He might actually somehow make it to 250 plate appearances if they keep him off the field. He'll still manage to foul a ball of his foot, or pull a hammy running out a ground ball to short, and be out for 2 months anyway.

It might be in everyone's best interest if Rendon retires.

Obviously the money is the main(only) reason he won't. But how much more does he (anyone) need? He must have in the tens of millions already saved up and invested. 

He mentioned how important environment is for his family. He could simply relocate to the place of his choice and live as elite a lifestyle as desired. 

In the field he already has won a world series, and will have a place in history as an important part of that team. And has had a respectable career up to his Angel years. And it's not likely that another playoff run is on the horizon anytime soon.

If chronic health issues are a factor in his life and mindset then why risk more? 

A mutually satisfactory buy out (barring outright retirement)  might be the best option. His value on the field will never come close to what he's being paid now. And even getting out from a chunk of that contract will help the team going forward. While he can drift into the private anonymity he seems to desire.  

54 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Actually Tim Salmon's home run tally is kind of cool considering he is the only player to finish his career at 299. It's almost a Price is Right number, undercutting the .300 crowd and being one notch better than a lesser total.

Okay, I'm reaching. I really did want to see him hit 300 and he had a couple shots that just came up short his last few at bats. I'd still take Salmon over a score of outfielders not named Trout or Guerrero that played the outfield for the Angels. 

image.gif

55 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I guess he didn't prepare right with a satellite phone to get search and rescue to help him. Luckily Rendon had a trained medical staff on hand that knew his injury wasn't a made up story.

There is no SAR where we were, would have been useless.

6 minutes ago, LaPalma said:

I love that you with your pedestrian  life can’t believe some people actually live(d) adventurously.  Sucks to be you.  Mercedario, 1998, with Latvian partner Andrejs (RIP).  

Buddy no one cares or GAF about your biography on this site, which you seem to be compelled to put forward at every opportunity.

3 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Buddy no one cares or GAF about your biography on this site, which you seem to be compelled to put forward at every opportunity.

…And I don’t care that you, in your lame existence, can’t comprehend that people do things you won’t/can’t.  Yet you felt compelled (by jealousy no doubt) to call bs which added nothing at all to the conversation.  At least my real life example is relevant to the fact that some players might be milking their injuries.  Go have a beer and get fatter.