• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Immediate Fix?

While the Sunday loss stung and would've been huge in the standings, maybe that pain was used as motivation to sweep the Yankees. I was thinking, with less than 2 weeks away, what could the Angels do as a low-risk move vs waiting until the last minute to upgrade, which could cost more games. Last year when the hitting took a dive, Perry did nothing to help the season and punted at the deadline. This year from June 17 thru July 17 (23 games, aka 15% of the season), the Angels bullpen flat-out stunk. The Angels lost 16 of 23 games. I'm not guaranteeing the Angels would be in the driver's seat in the wild card standings, but if you look at some of the stats below, there's a strong correlation between a bad bullpen performance and losing. That being said, injuries happen, but versus trading a bullpen arm (Chapman to Rangers instead), Perry and the club rolled the dice, which has hurt them going into the trade deadline. I'm a little disturbed that with so much at stake, trading for a reliever is a lot more cost-friendly than say, and starter or a bat. Even if you lose Ohtani, it's not like you traded for Giolito. You could go for a rental or solid arm and trade them in the off-season if doesn't work out. But as you see in the image below (per Fangraphs) some guys are getting worn out, or maybe not helping. An arm or 2 will help until some guys come back from injury, but my question as Perry or as a fan, as you watch the Pirates and Tigers play the Angels, whom the Halos should take 1 or 2 series from, what if the game is decided by an underperformed easily identified here (ignore Moore as he just came back), and the Angels lost and that helps nail the decision to sell? Yes, I understand Nevin has made questionable moves, but I think it's about putting your team in the best position to succeed as a team and as an organization that can mitigate some human error.  The fact that his has been happing for this long is frustrating. Thoughts?

30th ERA:      7.51

30th SLG:     .508

29th BABIP:  .354

29th BB%:     13.2%

26th K%:       19.5%

30th HR/9:    1.8

AngelsBP.jpg.50203395c41978c765ccd739cc1b7669.jpg 

I wish Perry showed a similar urgency with the bullpen that he had with the depth this season. 

Walsh sucked, and Urshela got hurt, so he added Escobar and Moose.

I think similar moves to slightly bolster the pen would have made a big difference and still could.

That being said trades before the immediate days before the deadline are rare. Most teams prefer to hold their pieces till the bidding war starts. There’s a possibility Perry was trying to add pen help, but found the cost to be too much that early in the year or found teams weren’t willing to budge yet.

That being said, still wish they got Chapman before the Rangers did.

7 hours ago, OhtaniSan said:

I wish Perry showed a similar urgency with the bullpen that he had with the depth this season. 

Walsh sucked, and Urshela got hurt, so he added Escobar and Moose.

I think similar moves to slightly bolster the pen would have made a big difference and still could.

That being said trades before the immediate days before the deadline are rare. Most teams prefer to hold their pieces till the bidding war starts. There’s a possibility Perry was trying to add pen help, but found the cost to be too much that early in the year or found teams weren’t willing to budge yet.

That being said, still wish they got Chapman before the Rangers did.

They showed urgency, which is why we’ve seen Bachman, Torres, Soriano, Mederos and Silseth all in the major league pen this year. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

They showed urgency, which is why we’ve seen Bachman, Torres, Soriano, Mederos and Silseth all in the major league pen this year. 

We already know how well Bachman’s heat and slider project in the late innings.   By sometime next season, should be ready for regular late innings work.

If Soriano can reign in the control, he will eventually be right there with Bachman in the late innings.

Silseth may finally have found his place up here.   Past 3 outings (including the one up here Wednesday) have all been dominant.   Keep him here as the 6th starter, trade/DFA Davidson, and put Barria in that long innings role.

Really don’t need to trade for a starter.   Focus needs to be on 2 experienced late innings guys with control through 2024.

Edited by Angel Oracle

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

And had a wife beater on our team. That would have been the shit. 

Chapman never beat a wife because he wasn't married. It was a girlfriend he choked but scarier is he fired off several rounds into a garage wall afterwards. He got a 30 suspension. 

54 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Chapman never beat a wife because he wasn't married. It was a girlfriend he choked but scarier is he fired off several rounds into a garage wall afterwards. He got a 30 suspension. 

My apologies.
We could have had a girl friend strangler that was gun happy on our team. 

Fix for halos is winning games this week. After 7 losing seasons Angel's have a chance to make playoffs. Who knows when they will be here again. They keep Ohtani, hope for return of Trout, O'Hoppe and fan favorite Rendon. If halos do this fans cannot complain if they do not make playoffs or end up getting nothing for Ohtani. Other way to go would be trade Ohtani and try and make playoffs without him.