• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels History in one chart

Y'all know I like my charts. Well, I think I've created one that really illustrates Angels history as a whole.

image.png

What you're looking at is Angels history, from 1961 to 2023 (through tonight's game, though you can barely see it...forgive the tiny size of the cells...wasn't sure how best to depict this in a way that was translateable).

Anyhow, the bars are seasons - purple is losing, green is winning -- each is as many cells as games above or below .500 (there are a couple .500 seasons which you can't really see that are blue). The gray line near the top is .500. Every time the team has a losing season, they go further below .500, every time they have a winning season they go up.

As you can see, the Angels historical trajectory was rather clear for the first four decades. There were a few minor winning seasons early on, and then a period in the late 70s to late 80s where they basically alternated good and bad years (more or less). Then the 90s were a return to the form of the 60s and 70s.

Finally, 2002, and then 2004-09, and then 2011-15 happened, and the Angels "peaked"--in terms of franchise games above .500--after the 2015 season.

It has been downhill from there. As a franchise, the Angels went above .500 in 2014, then slipped below again in 2019.

So that's where we are, and where we've been. 

Edited by Angelsjunky

I don't need a chart. I just know that this franchise is tied with Detroit for the longest stretch without a post season appearance in MLB. That's despite the fact that they had a once in a generation talent for all of that stretch, and a once in a millennia talent for more than half of it.Same owner and team president though.