• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

If Trout is out for the year, I'm trading Ohtani

Will Ohtani sign a contract with a better team?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Will Ohtani sign a contract with a better team?

• Yes
    • And...yes, too

Is the sky falling in too?

Even if it's a broken bone, Trout will be swinging a bat again in the middle of August. A week of that absence will be for the All-star game; Moniak will cover half of Trout's missed games and he's doing pretty well; and Trout wasn't really himself this year at the plate: so how much of a loss is it really? One game lost? Two, three? Then add to that there is a fair chance that Trout comes back raking after his break and is fresh and revitalised at the plate.

And some of you want to trade the best bloody baseball player that has ever played the game? While he is having a career season? Performing at a level that has never been seen before?

Numpties.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels are competing.  You bring up Adell and play Moniak in center and go to war.  Getting Neto back helps bridge the gap.

Plus it is reasonable to expect other teams to also have injuries.

Punting and trading Ohtani is just not the right path.

My OP was a bit hyperbolic, but consider this very possible scenario:

It is July 20, 10 games from now. Trout is out for the year (or at least 2+ months). The Angels have gone 3-7, and are 48-49, 5+ games out of a wildcard spot.

Are you saying that you don't entertaining offers for Ohtani? What if a team offers two or three blue chip prospects? Is that not worth the fun of two more months of Ohtani and the pipe-dream that he'll not only re-sign with the Angels after yet another season missing the postseason, but will do so in their window before hitting free agency and witnessing the biggest bidding war in sports history?

And even then, at what cost? Shohei is going to get $50-60M a year, and 10-12 years. That' $500-720M invested in one player with every year but one in his 30s. Shohei is truly amazing, but chances are he won't be this good in five years, maybe not even next year. 

Don't get me wrong: I want Shohei to stay. I just think you have to listen to offers if Trout is out and/or the Angels are 5+ games out of a wildcard berth come mid-July. Even though it is just two months, some team is likely to make a really nice offer of prospects.

6 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Even if it's a broken bone, Trout will be swinging a bat again in the middle of August. A week of that absence will be for the All-star game; Moniak will cover half of Trout's missed games and he's doing pretty well; and Trout wasn't really himself this year at the plate: so how much of a loss is it really? One game lost? Two, three? Then add to that there is a fair chance that Trout comes back raking after his break and is fresh and revitalised at the plate.

And some of you want to trade the best bloody baseball player that has ever played the game? While he is having a career season? Performing at a level that has never been seen before?

Numpties.

I have to wonder if the hamate bone may have affected Trout for a lot of the season to date, hence the much lower OPS?

Recovery time from surgery seems to vary from 6-9 weeks.  So at the latest, he would return in early September.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

My OP was a bit hyperbolic, but consider this very possible scenario:

It is July 20, 10 games from now. Trout is out for the year (or at least 2+ months). The Angels have gone 3-7, and are 48-49, 5+ games out of a wildcard spot.

Are you saying that you don't entertaining offers for Ohtani? What if a team offers two or three blue chip prospects? Is that not worth the fun of two more months of Ohtani and the pipe-dream that he'll not only re-sign with the Angels after yet another season missing the postseason, but will do so in their window before hitting free agency and witnessing the biggest bidding war in sports history?

And even then, at what cost? Shohei is going to get $50-60M a year, and 10-12 years. That' $500-720M invested in one player with every year but one in his 30s. Shohei is truly amazing, but chances are he won't be this good in five years, maybe not even next year. 

Don't get me wrong: I want Shohei to stay. I just think you have to listen to offers if Trout is out and/or the Angels are 5+ games out of a wildcard berth come mid-July. Even though it is just two months, some team is likely to make a really nice offer of prospects.

It has been said that he may not take the best offer, if he truly loves it here.

Maybe something like 11 years/$500 million (with a 3 year opt out) would be enough to keep him here?

Two superstars in one for likely at least the next 3 seasons.

21 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Numpties.

It's pure fuckwittery!

This is a huge loss and anyone trying to downplay it is in denial. Trout is second in OPS since Moniak does not qualify. The third ibest n OPS is also hurt. To compete, we needed Trout to return to near-Trout levels and now that is gone for 1-2 months. Yes, they can call up Adell but his ML experience leads me to question how much impact he'll actually have. Just about two weeks ago, things were going so well and now the team is imploding with injuries, poor SP outside of two guys, and an inability to hit with RISP. This really sucks.

14 hours ago, TroutField said:

This team is cursed, it’s seriously the only explanation. 

Any player that is performing this year gets immediately injured. Any rookie that does half decent, hurt. 

this isn’t normal. But the time they are back we will be out of the playoff picture and it will take 2 months for Neto and O’hoppe to get into a groove. 

New to Angels fandom?

30 minutes ago, Adam said:

Fire sale! Please! 

I would consider it for just the expiring contracts not just acquired (like Renfroe and Loup), with the caveat that they let Ohtani know that they fully intend to do what’s necessary to contend in 2024 and going forward.

That said, no more big money FAs brought in from the outside.  Continue to surround the best players with solid support players like they did this past off-season, re-sign Ohtani, continue to do solid drafting this coming Sunday-Tuesday, and don’t be afraid to go over the tax threshold for the next 3 seasons.   With Rendon’s contract expiring after 2026, the tax penalty will only truly hurt in 2026.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

I would consider it for just the expiring contracts not just acquired (like Renfroe and Loup), with the caveat that they let Ohtani know that they fully intend to do what’s necessary to contend in 2024 and going forward.

It’s pointless unless you trade Ohtani. He’ll be a FA if Artie hasn’t learned his lesson about long term FA deals by now he can always sign him in the offseason

Just now, Adam said:

It’s pointless unless you trade Ohtani. He’ll be a FA if Artie hasn’t learned his lesson about long term FA deals by now he can always sign him in the offseason

Speaking of lessons... you'd think you'd know how to spell Arte by now.

14 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Obviously we don't know how bad his injury is, but let's say it is a hamate fracture and he's out until September. If I'm the Angels, I'm seriously entertaining offers for Ohtani. 

There are 20 games before the trade deadline. That should be plenty to be certain whether the Angels can somehow perform a miracle. But...once we get that diagnosis, it might be time to turn the page on 2023 and Ohtani.

Yep